Acceptable Gun cleaner at Wal-Mart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to clean my Mossberg 500A 12 guage myself. The action of the pump is feeling slowed by some gunk perhaps.

Does Wal-Mart have an acceptable quality cleaner for such purposes of removing the powder residue from the workings?

It's the 500A with the camo paint job. Not that I'm planning on getting cleaner on the paint. Just cleaning the inners.

I like Breakfree CLP. I'm pretty sure Walmart carries it. DO NOT use Breakfree Powder Blast.

Its just me, but I buy stuff like that from a arms store that specializes in fire arms and cleaners. The goofy nut cases at wally's don't know jack cheese,,of course all of the above, IMHO.

Best of luck on your selection, most likely it will work.

For a pump, Hoppes No. 9 will work just fine. Not much to cleaning a pump gun.

Just don't over lube it. Most common mistake, at least with semi autos. A drop or 2 is all you need.

I use Mil Tec for lube, it is great stuff.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I like Breakfree CLP. I'm pretty sure Walmart carries it. DO NOT use Breakfree Powder Blast.

Pop out the two pins and remove the trigger group for a deep cleaning.

Powderblast is super strong and is likely to take the camo paint off. Avoid.

They sell Remington Remoil in an aerosol can that does a good job cleaning guns. It's not the best lube, but it will work fine removing carbon/gunk from the gun and it sprays really nice from the can too.

Breakfree CLP in the aerosol can (if they sell it) would work good too.

Yes remove the choke. Clean it good with a good solvent (brake cleaner) and then lube up the threads with grease or anti-seize.

Avoid the Breakfree CLP foam spray. That stuff is a mess. I should have taken the spray can back to Walmart after using it initially. Nowhere on the front of my can does it state 'foam'.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Avoid the Breakfree CLP foam spray. That stuff is a mess. I should have taken the spray can back to Walmart after using it initially. Nowhere on the front of my can does it state 'foam'.

I always use it.

The aerosol Breakfree is messy and you're paying for the propellant. I don't currently use it, but I have in the past.

Breakfree or another CLP is pretty much all you really need to clean and lubricate a shotgun (or pretty much any other firearm). I wouldn't leave the shotgun dripping, but they do need some lube. I have seen a pump,shotgun that was so,dry it couldn't be cycled. A couple drops of gun oil was enough to get it running again.

BSW

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
And should the choke be taken out or left in?

I always remove the choke from my shotguns after I clean the barrel conventionally. I then wash the threads clean on the choke, and wipe the threads clean in the barrel. After that I use a copper coated anti seize on the threads, and reinstall the choke. Permatex C-5A works very well for this. As does most any type of anti seize designed for spark plug threads and general automotive use. You can use shotgun specific choke lubes, but you'll just pay more and get less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back