intermittent fasting diet or variation of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried such an undertaking?

Long story short, my weight is quite off the bell curve for my height and I need to loss pounds.

I tend to eat inside a window of time anyhow, so I thought why not try it.

I have done some research, but thought I would ask the wise men and women of bitog to get a different
perspective.

Thank you in advance.

Asking about diet on an oil site, hmmm...

What you're after is a lifestyle change, not just a crash diet. Losing the weight is one part of it..keeping it off is the other.

There's no short cut, it took years of bad choices and a lousy habits to get to the shape you're in. Get yourself a good nutritionist and a good trainer (recall that weight is a function of input x output)..or at least get good info about both so you can institute them yourself, and stay with them, don't get discouraged.

Bottom line: Dieting is hard enough, you don't need to torture yourself more with "Fasting". You need a consistent, moderate plan to change underlying habits.

Originally Posted By: jc1112
Thank you in advance.

Plan on incorporating a workout, or merely changing dietary habits?

Originally Posted By: Noey
Bottom line: Dieting is hard enough, you don't need to torture yourself more with "Fasting". You need a consistent, moderate plan to change underlying habits.

Take a little time to understand the benefits of a glucagon dominant state before coming out and speaking in absolutes regarding "fasting".

Fasting SLOWS your metabolism down. If you're interested in losing weight permanently it's got to be a permanent dietary change. Instead of 3 meals with lots of snacks throughout the day, start with a decent breakfast that incorporates the 3 macronutients(fat, protein, carbs) and it'll leave you feeling satisfied for a while. The carbs are metabolized first, then fat, then protein. If you imagine a graph where 0,0 is the time you eat, the energy provided by carbs will peak and begin to decline just as the energy from the fat is peaking; same deal with protein. It makes for a very even and balanced meal that'll leave you feeling full and alert.
Small healthy snacks throughout the day are your best bet at weight loss. A steady stream of healthy food will keep your metabolism up. Be sure to cut sugary drinks as well. Black coffee or tea are good alternatives if you want something with flavor. But water is your friend. If water is too boring drop in a slice of lemon to make it taste like something.
You don't need to work out like crazy, just a walk for 30 minutes to an hour a day is enough.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
Fasting SLOWS your metabolism down. If you're interested in losing weight permanently it's got to be a permanent dietary change. Instead of 3 meals with lots of snacks throughout the day, start with a decent breakfast that incorporates the 3 macronutients(fat, protein, carbs) and it'll leave you feeling satisfied for a while. The carbs are metabolized first, then fat, then protein. If you imagine a graph where 0,0 is the time you eat, the energy provided by carbs will peak and begin to decline just as the energy from the fat is peaking; same deal with protein. It makes for a very even and balanced meal that'll leave you feeling full and alert.
Small healthy snacks throughout the day are your best bet at weight loss. A steady stream of healthy food will keep your metabolism up. Be sure to cut sugary drinks as well. Black coffee or tea are good alternatives if you want something with flavor. But water is your friend. If water is too boring drop in a slice of lemon to make it taste like something.
You don't need to work out like crazy, just a walk for 30 minutes to an hour a day is enough.
This.

Some great posts above. The best way to lose weight and keep it off is to get in the habit of eating more meals. Lots of light meals that are just big enough to satisfy your hunger. It's counter-intuitive at first but the worst thing you want when trying to lose weight is to get hungry. You get hungry if you don't eat. Eat a nice breakfast every day! Prepare! Pack lots of healthy stuff for you to eat during the day. There is nothing magic about eating every 3 hours but it's a good lifestyle.

And one day a week is free day. Eat whatever you want on free day to satisfy your cravings.

Last edited:
And there's nothing wrong with bringing snacks with you places. Employers vary but in my line of work i have to take breaks when I can. I take one of those reusable grocery bags full of food with me to work and snack all shift. Of course you can't always do this at all jobs.

I had to go on a gluten free diet due to it bothering my stomach every time I ate it. I dropped 20 lbs the first two weeks. I'm still losing but not as fast now. It's a real easy diet. I am still 20 lbs overweight. Dropping that kind of weight was a great side effect LOL. Better to lose weight slow anyway.

"Fasting" and "intermittent fasting" are not the same thing. There is some bad information above.

You would be better serverd at a different forum. That said, the science of why intermittent fasting works is becoming understood, and it has been shown to work well. It is more than just skipping a meal here or there and works best with a solid nutrition plan and meal scheduling.

Gluten free can be a god-send too. I had the exact same experience as Blkstanger (~15lbs?) just off the bat and improvement in overall feeling of well-being. Many people are gluten-intolerant and do not realize it.

I don't think you guys read (except Oro-O) what the post said...Intermittent Fasting. It's different from the more popular Fasting technique which is to refrain from eating, period. IF is actually safe, effective and will NOT slow your metabolism! I lost 22 pounds this past winter (October -December) with intermittent fasting. The Rock does IF. It was recommended to him by Sylvester Stallone.

The method that I used was to eat my last meal at 7:00 or 8:00 pm and not eat again until 11:00 am or noon the next day = 16-17 hours of "fasting". Only the first 2 days were tough. After that, piece of cake.

I had been doing HIIT for 3 months prior to IF and had lost a few pounds (6) but it really started happening once I incorporated IF into my routine. I highly recommend it to anyone wishing to lose any fat pounds.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.

I intend to incorporate sensible eating within a four or six hour window out of the day.
Part of the fasting will be while one sleeps. This will not be a "complete" fasting in the
traditionally sense of the word.

Also, exercise and lifestyle changes are key as I will be altering these habits of mine.

yes this subject seems odd having been posted on an oil website, but I respect the opinions
and viewpoints of those here and feel an unbiased and nonjudgmental take is needed.

thanks

Originally Posted By: slowdime
Fasting SLOWS your metabolism down.

Nonsense, unless you're planning to fast for weeks at a time.
Studies? The enhanced thermogenic response to epinephrine after 48-hour starvation in humans done by the Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham, United Kingdom, released January of 1990.

A couple observations from the study:

Quote:
Starvation led to considerable alterations in basal metabolism including a significant (mean 3.6%) increase in resting metabolic rate.

The maximum increments (mean +/- SE) in heart rate induced by epinephrine were 11.9 +/- 1.3 beats/min in the normally fed state and 20.1 +/- 2.0 beats/min in the starved state

More?
How about the resting energy expenditure in short-term starvation study done by the Department of Internal Medicine IV, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria in June of 2000. The study concluded the following:

Quote:
Resting energy expenditure in fasting subjects increased significantly from 3.97 +/- 0.9 kJ/min on day 1 to 4.53 +/- 0.9 kJ/min on day 3 (P < 0.05). The increase in resting energy expenditure was associated with an increase in the norepinephrine concentration from 1716. +/- 574 pmol/L on day 1 to 3728 +/- 1636 pmol/L on day 4 (P < 0.05).

A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. The key point with why most crazy diets work is that the total number of calories eaten are reduced. You can lose weight in a healthy way or an unhealthy way. The problem with crazy diets is that you can't keep it up once the weight loss is achieved. It makes more sense to do it in a normal way that can be maintained. One basic suggestion is to get an account on myfitnesspal and to track your calorie intake.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. The key point with why most crazy diets work is that the total number of calories eaten are reduced. You can lose weight in a healthy way or an unhealthy way. The problem with crazy diets is that you can't keep it up once the weight loss is achieved. It makes more sense to do it in a normal way that can be maintained. One basic suggestion is to get an account on myfitnesspal and to track your calorie intake.

I agree although I think that macro-nutrient ratios have an impact on your appearance. 40/40/20 carb/protein/fat.

The Rock and Sly are doing IF in order to cut following a bulk phase in their training. They are advanced. IF is an advanced technique. IF is not a lifestyle and as such, it will doom you to a yo-yo weight loss and gain. That's not good.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^Typical misinformation. Calories are highly variable by food type.

While we can get into splitting hairs about how many angels can dance on the head of pin, the basic principle is still the same, eat less.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
[censored] is "glucagon dominant state"? a google came up with
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2724106/
maybe you can translate and let us know what that means

Fasting seems like a great way to get your body stressed and actually hold onto fat vs "burning" it.

Exercise more, eat less. Simple way to loose weight. Fad diets are not.

Seriously; this isn't rocket science. Burn more calories in a day then you consume and you'll lose weight.

Lets get real; in order to lose a serious amount of weight, no fa diet on the planet will work. It takes a lifestyle change and serious work. eating much less and healthier and working out A LOT. I've gone from 215 to 180 in the last few years and just to even keep it where I'm at, I have to work out even more than I did to lose the weight.

Buy a gym membership, or a bike, or good running shoes and prepare to sweat like a pig if you want to get serious about losing weight. Look at the TV show biggest loser; look how hard they have to work at losing weight.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Seriously; this isn't rocket science. Burn more calories in a day then you consume and you'll lose weight.

My body burnt at or more calories then I can eat everyday. Only when I was on 2-3 weeks vacation and eat a lot more than usual I then would gain 4-5 lbs.

But after coming home and back to normal activities all the pounds I gained was gone in few weeks. I wish I can gain 10-15 lbs to be at normal/ideal weight for my high of 5'7" and currently 120 lbs.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

My body burnt at or more calories then I can eat everyday. Only when I was on 2-3 weeks vacation and eat a lot more than usual I then would gain 4-5 lbs.

But after coming home and back to normal activities all the pounds I gained was gone in few weeks. I wish I can gain 10-15 lbs to be at normal/ideal weight for my high of 5'7" and currently 120 lbs.

Gaining fat isn't a good goal. Weight training is the way to put on weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back