2004 Mercedes CLK320 Brake Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am doing the front brakes on my friend's car and the existing pads do not have enough bite for his taste. He wants sharper braking. Which pads should I use? RockAuto has Akebono Euro Ultra Premium Ceramic and Centric StopTech Performance Para-Aramid material brake pads. Any others I should consider?

Canadian Tire has ATE rotors on sale at 50% off, so I plan on installing the ATE rotors.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ate-pr...ml#.VRilPfnF_To

I would try the OE pads from the dealer (if it doesn't have OE right now).

The Stoptech 309s are a good pad, but have a tendency to exhibit some low-speed chatter.

Akebono Euros work well and have very low dusting, but they do not have the same feel as the factory pads.

Not sure what pads are on there now, these pads were installed by the Mercedes dealer when he bought the car used three years ago. These pads have no observable wear on them. The car has not been driven much in the last three years, not much in its entire life for that matter since it only has 99k km on it.I think the backing plate on the pads is painted light blue.

Interesting. Are the rotors glazed in any way?

Tires also have a lot to do with braking performance, so do take that into consideration. Same goes for brake fluid.

If the pads are really the culprit, then a set of StopTech 309s may be a good idea.

The rotors have no glaze at all on them. The rotors on my truck have far more glaze and my truck stops well.

The rotors were also changed out by the dealer three years ago and the rotors are worn out. New 28mm, maintenance limit 26mm, discard 25.3mm and the rotors are now at 26mm. All the wear, over the three years, seem to have been on the rotors and not on the pads

I'd suggest OE parts first, but if they are cost prohibitive then Centric 100 Series would be my second pick. For my Audi, the 100 Series were rated GF and the 309 Series were rated FG, so both pretty good choices.

I'd also suggest their 125 Series rotors.

All available at RockAuto for around $150 for pads and two rotors.

Typically Mercedes uses very soft pads, so your not going to get much more bite going aftermarket. Also typically rotors last for two pad changes. It sounds like for whatever reason cheaper aftermarket pads were installed by the dealer.

I'd suggest new rotors, pads, and a fluid flush all OE and I suspect the braking performance will improve.

A tell tale sign of the proper pads is that the front wheels should turn black pretty quickly, OE pads dust like crazy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back