fiberglass noob questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greeting gents:
I have an ol 90 toyo camper that I am trying to bring back to life.

I have never done any fiberglass work, so I thought this spring break I will try some small projects to learn and perfect it.

I bought some fiberglass cloth and resin from Meijer on sale to try it but I wanted your input on which materials to use and where to source them from.

project1: make a truck bed cover for my ridgeline out of 1/4 exterior grade ply with fiberglass cloth on top.
project2: make a truck bed cover for my siverado (full size bed) that looks a bit like an ARE cover but I want to make this light, like those canoes they make out of fiberglass cloth (??).

1. Resin: which resin should I get project1 (P1) and project2 (p2)?

Anyone do any similar builds?
let's see some pics pls.

CT8, good stuff,

1. How do I estimate which weight cloth I should I use?
2. What is Good source to buy resin in bulk?

Look at Defender (marine supply) for good prices on resin. Are you looking to get strength from plywood and the fiberglass just to make the covering weatherproof. Buy cheap "chip" brushes to use. There is cloth, mat and roving I think. If its warm or hot out keep mixed resin in a bucket of ice water.

Do not put the used brushes in your fathers freezer full of food so you can use them the next day. I did when I was 14. All the food smelled of fiberglass resin which stinks.

I would get some scraps and practice. Keep acetone around. You are bound to get the resin on your fingers and acetone is the only thing that cleans them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back