Flashing high beams at other drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I read the title I immediately thought of the oncoming vehicles with HID headlights. Anytime I encounter a punk with the HID's, I light 'em up with my high beams.

I am sick and tired of being blinded in normal driving, so I have done this since the craze began roughly 5 years ago. It really ticks them off.
thumbsup2.gif
I hear them lay on their horns sometimes!
crackmeup2.gif

Seems like I see a lot of drivers, night AND day, driving with high beams on. They are usually behind me in traffic so there is nothing I can do about it.

So many on here seem to think that the left is for ANYBODY that wants to pass cars....CONTINUOUSLY.... as opposed to using the left lane legally TO PASS a slower moving vehicle in the right lane.

People here are complaining that the left is for passing. That is true. But what the left lane IS NOT for is going however fast you want to go....staying in that lane continuously...and flashing anybody that doesn't go as fast as you'd like.

It's as though it's convenient to bring up the left lane laws for your own selfish needs....yet ignore the law about speed limits.

From what I understand you can momentarily exceed the speed limit....TO PASS a slower vehicle. But that doesn't have A THING to do with driving for miles in the left lane, over the speed limit, and flashing people to get out of the way.

Funny thing when I drive to work and watch these rude types that think they own the road....they are ever so bold and pushy....until a cop is near. Then SUDDENLY...they drive like they know they should. Courteous, no tailgating, use signals, and no speeding.

Hypocrites.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
I flash my high beams for exactly two reasons, neither of which was covered in this thread:

1. To signal to an oncoming driver they have their high beams on and are blinding oncoming traffic.
2. To signal to oncoming drivers there may be revenue generation zones ahead.

Camping out in the left lane and not allowing faster drivers to pass is indeed d-bag behavior, as is running up full bore behind someone and flashing your brights.

I never flash for any reason. It shortens the life of my bulbs. I am very aware of my high beam and of how bright they are, so I use them when I have a clear stretch of road.

Many are oblivious these days and don't care about many functions of driving. For oncoming on a single undivided road, I have the patience of Job. Unfortunately if on a double divided highway, the oncoming traffic does have their high beams on they will get to see my HIR's come on and stay on for the entire time they are oncoming, even if they turn them off. That is just the price they pay.

I never flash people to "warn them" of police zones. They speed they pay the price and wholly deserve the fines.

I am never in the left hand lane...can't get great MPG's over there, so I never get flashed to pass. If I were to get "flashed to pass", single or double lane...my cruise control comes off and they either choose to join me in even slower speeds or pass. Anyone who tries to exert pressure will be unsuccessful.

I never flash for people to turn on their lights...if they don't have them on at dusk, they are morons. Plus we have DRL's here so..

Last edited:
I would think it'd be just as easy for the flasher to pass someone in the right lane.. instead of flashing lights. Might just be me, but being flashed (with lights
smile.gif
) kills my eyes and I see spots for a few minutes.

I actually had a semi flash his lights at me and keep them on me for about 5 seconds for not letting him over in front of me. I was going 65 and in the left lane. He was rolling up to like 67 and down to 63.. back and forth.. meanwhile huge snow chunks were flying off the back of his trailer. Then at the last minute, he wanted to get in front of me. I just kept going 65 and didn't let him over.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: andrewg
So many on here seem to think that the left is for ANYBODY that wants to pass cars....CONTINUOUSLY.... as opposed to using the left lane legally TO PASS a slower moving vehicle in the right lane.

People here are complaining that the left is for passing. That is true. But what the left lane IS NOT for is going however fast you want to go....staying in that lane continuously...and flashing anybody that doesn't go as fast as you'd like.

It's as though it's convenient to bring up the left lane laws for your own selfish needs....yet ignore the law about speed limits.

From what I understand you can momentarily exceed the speed limit....TO PASS a slower vehicle. But that doesn't have A THING to do with driving for miles in the left lane, over the speed limit, and flashing people to get out of the way.

Funny thing when I drive to work and watch these rude types that think they own the road....they are ever so bold and pushy....until a cop is near. Then SUDDENLY...they drive like they know they should. Courteous, no tailgating, use signals, and no speeding.

Hypocrites.

The left lane is for faster traffic. If you're complaining about people flashing you, then you are slower traffic and should be in the right lane. That's all there is to it. Doesn't matter if the people in the left lane are speeding or not, you're not a cop so don't try and enforce traffic laws. Accidents are from the variation in speeds, having people slow down, and then speed up also isn't good. People driving should pay attention to the road and stay off their phone, lots of time when there's a slow driver, I look over and notice them glancing down at their phone.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
When I read the title I immediately thought of the oncoming vehicles with HID headlights. Anytime I encounter a punk with the HID's, I light 'em up with my high beams.

I am sick and tired of being blinded in normal driving, so I have done this since the craze began roughly 5 years ago. It really ticks them off.
thumbsup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Factory HID's should be fine, no one has ever given me high beams because they thought my factory HID's were too bright. It's the aftermarket ones that aren't DOT approved that causes them to be misaligned and hence shine into other motorists eyes.

The overall best drivers were in Sacramento, CA. Most drivers, if not all, were doing 5-10 MPH above speed limit on the left most lane would move to the right lane as soon as someone approach about 100-200 ft, even the right lane is moving at a little slower. As soon as the faster driver passed he/she moves back to left lane and resume the faster speed.

The worst drivers are in So Cal, many of them just hog the left lane at any speed, slight slower or at or slightly faster than speed limit. Other drivers just ignore them and pass on right lane(s). There is nothing can be done to make left lane hogger move to right lane. It's so bad such that most of 4 lanes each way there are about 70-80% or more cars on the left 2 lanes, of those left lane hogger 60-70% are on the left most lane. The most occupied is the left most lane and the least occupied lane is the number 4(right most lane).

Ideally the fastest moving should be number 1 lane and slowest should be number 4 lane.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I would think it'd be just as easy for the flasher to pass someone in the right lane..

It might be easy, but it is illegal in many states.

Quote:
I just kept going 65 and didn't let him over.
crackmeup2.gif

Brilliant. After all, it would be a major dishonor to let someone pass you. How dare they?
33.gif

thumbsup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Well yeah it ticks them off, because you're being a dickbag.

If someone has poorly installed aftermarket HIDs in OEM Halogen housings, that's one thing. But if you show that kind of behavior around a person with a properly adjusted factory HID setup, you're the problem, not the HIDs.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
If someone has poorly installed aftermarket HIDs in OEM Halogen housings, that's one thing. But if you show that kind of behavior around a person with a properly adjusted factory HID setup, you're the problem, not the HIDs.

Yup, my 14 has factory HIDs along with the driving lights in the upper grill, I always have them on when driving. I find it funny when driving through Montecito and the oncoming traffic flashes their brights at me, and I respond by flashing my brights back. Not my fault my factory headlamps are bright. I even had the alignment on them checked and they are perfectly within spec.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
People get off the freeway and seem to expect that the same rules apply to the left lane, when they don't.

Oh, they certainly do. Not sure why you think otherwise.

Except when they don't, like when you're preparing to make a left hand turn or a U-turn

You'd have your own left turn lane for this.

or when traffic is bad and you're trying to get as close to the light that's got you stopped as possible so you don't have to wait multiple cycles to get through.

I have no idea what you're describing here.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Hypocrites.

The left lane is for faster traffic. If you're complaining about people flashing you, then you are slower traffic and should be in the right lane. That's all there is to it. Doesn't matter if the people in the left lane are speeding or not, you're not a cop so don't try and enforce traffic laws. Accidents are from the variation in speeds, having people slow down, and then speed up also isn't good. People driving should pay attention to the road and stay off their phone, lots of time when there's a slow driver, I look over and notice them glancing down at their phone.

Who said I was being flashed? I don't drive in the left lane except to pass.

The left lane isn't just for you to define the laws of...it is not simply for faster traffic. If you think so, then go ten mph over in the left lane as you pass a cop.

No...I don't try to enforce the law at all. I am speaking of types also feel that THEY are not obligated to follow the law....only those that don't follow lane selections are.

Like I said....hypocritical.

I'll move over for faster traffic if there's room to do so, but not because I'm stuck behind a bunch of slow movers in the left lane, typically headed by one guy who just can't grasp that the verb "pass" might involve a little more push on the right hand pedal.
I've had fools flash their high beams at me in this situation, and just thought them to be dumb.
I will also go faster in the left lane to pass slower traffic in the right lane so as not to impede those who wish to drive faster than I do, unless they either flash their headlamps or tailgate agressively.
In that case, I'll pass the slower traffic at a sedate rate and allow the rude fool behind me to stew.
Most people who drive agressively on the public roads are fearful cowards in real life and their driving style is a form of compensation.
People drive as ignorantly as they act and think.
No surprise there.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'll move over for faster traffic if there's room to do so, but not because I'm stuck behind a bunch of slow movers in the left lane, typically headed by one guy who just can't grasp that the verb "pass" might involve a little more push on the right hand pedal.
I've had fools flash their high beams at me in this situation, and just thought them to be dumb.
I will also go faster in the left lane to pass slower traffic in the right lane so as not to impede those who wish to drive faster than I do, unless they either flash their headlamps or tailgate agressively.
In that case, I'll pass the slower traffic at a sedate rate and allow the rude fool behind me to stew.
Most people who drive agressively on the public roads are fearful cowards in real life and their driving style is a form of compensation.
People drive as ignorantly as they act and think.
No surprise there.

This^^^ is spot-on. I could not have put it better.
I agree 100%!!

If 'Keep right except to pass' was enforced as it should be, militantly, all our highways would be better places with less accidents, and less road rage.

Unfortunately the self importance, inconsideration and ignorance displayed by so many these days, is enhanced when said douches are in their glass and steel cages, obliviously obstructing the flow of traffic.

Move over and let the impatient fast drivers pass you. Better to have them away from you rather than all PO'd and aggressive behind you.

If you are a left lane camper, I despise you with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. Be glad I don't own a gun.

After reading this thread it reminded me that every family has one person who is an idiot...you know the brother in law who can't keep a job...dresses like a slob...always has a beer in his hand and a big beer gut. Then he blames his misfortune on every one and every thing around him.

You know the guy in your family right?

Well if your family doesn't have one.....it's YOU!
coffee2.gif

If the speed limit was enforced would we have this problem? I don't feel sorry for speeders when I see this happen. This problem will go away years from now when we all have self driving cars and driving rights have been taken away.

thumbsup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Some cars came with OEM HID such as Honda S2000, there wasn't option for standard halogen. The factory aim is very conservative, the distance of HID low beam is about 250-300 ft, there is no way to glare oncoming traffic unless going up steep uphill.

Only when someone retrofit Halogen headlight to HID without using proper HID lens then it can be very hazardous for glaring oncoming traffic. With properly aim HID headlight you don't even know if their headlight is on, it may look like a parking light for opposite traffic.

You should not blame vehicles with HID headlight if they are OEM and properly aim.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
The left lane is for faster traffic. If you're complaining about people flashing you, then you are slower traffic and should be in the right lane. That's all there is to it.
The left lane isn't just for you to define the laws of...it is not simply for faster traffic.

Your state may not have this law " Slower Traffic Keep Right ". But these signs are posted on many interstate highways in California every 5-10 miles. It is clearly mean that if you are not going faster than traffic on the right lane then you are in the wrong lane, get the heck out of left lane.

I saw many drivers like you on I5 and I405 in So Cal, there wasn't any vehicle for some distance about a mile or two in early morning but some idiots just cruise on the left most lane while 3 right lanes were empty. You may not want to drive on the right most lane, but should not cruise on the left most lane.

On state 2-lane highway there are signs " Slower Traffic Use Turnout ". If you drive much slower than speed limit and there are 10-20 vehicles behind you, you should use turn out to let traffic pass, you slow porker.

I don't always drive faster than speed limit, when I do speed limit or at speed slower than traffic I stay on next to the right most lane. I don't stay on right most lane to interfere with on/off ramp traffic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back