Shell T6 and filter question for new Honda nc700x

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just searching for information on motorcycle oil the other day for my NC700! Thanks Highlifter for clearing the air. My dealer doesn't even sell 10w30 for me to buy unless it's special order, so I wanted to find evidence that 10w40 was ok which is what my dealer uses. Couldn't find any JASO MA approved 10w30 anywhere. Even though the Rotella 10w30 I can get may be ok, I really want that approval for my own piece of mind. I found a picture of that page in the service workshop manual when doing a Google search that clearly showed both 10w30 and 10w40. Dealer also said do not do 8k for oil changes unless I'm doing long distance highway touring. Recommended 4k. This website looks to be a great resource and I hope I can find something to contribute myself, as small as that may be!

Here's a picture of that oil chart in the service manual. Tried uploading it the first time but no-go for some reason.

oil_viscosity.jpg

Originally Posted By: Kyonic
Hello I have a 2012 NC700x and love it! I have about 120 miles on her and have a couple questions about oil and filters. I am wanting to run the Shell T-6 in this bike because it seems to be a very popular choice. I was also wondering if anyone use car oil filters in there bikes? I have done this with good results. Is there a list that cross-reference list from bike filters to vehicle as far as filters go?

Why not use the oil and filter recommended for the bike? If you do, I am sure the bike will last way longer then you actually keep it.

If you dont use what is recommended there is a chance it may or may not last as long as you keep it, as I AM SURE way more bikes are ruined by improper oil and filter choices then if they just listened to what the manufacturer required.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: judsonj
Originally Posted By: 29662
I would go with rotella 10w-30. It's a very stout oil that is not rated as energy conserving. It's also not Jaso MA rated like the 5-40 and 15-40 though.

I emailed Shell about this and they said that although they hadn't submitted the 10w30 for JASO MA that it would meet standard. They also gave me their usual statement that they didn't recommend any rotella in anything equipped with a cat. I know a lot of people use it anyway (including me) and I'm not hearing of any cat failures.

Well then, you may as well throw the response in the garbage and not listen to anything that Shell employee told you as Rotella is a SM automobile certified motor oil in addition to CJ4

RT6 FTW!

I currently have 2 more oil changes with Suzuki's own dino 10w40. After which I'm switching to Rotella's 15w40 to use up the last gallon I have on the shelf, then on to T6.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Why not use the oil and filter recommended for the bike? If you do, I am sure the bike will last way longer then you actually keep it.

I own an NC700 DCT and Rotella 5w40 is the correct oil for the bike. Also the correct oil filter cross reference that doesn't void your warranty is Fram PH6017A or Purolator ML16817 (motorcycle specific filter). What my dealer charges for the Honda oil and filter is criminal. Absolutely love the bike.

Originally Posted By: catdiesel
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

I own an NC700 DCT and Rotella 5w40 is the correct oil for the bike. Also the correct oil filter cross reference that doesn't void your warranty is Fram PH6017A or Purolator ML16817 (motorcycle specific filter). What my dealer charges for the Honda oil and filter is criminal. Absolutely love the bike.

that's why they call them stealerships.

That's funny, I thought I'd replied to this thread a couple years ago. Oh, well.

I've run Lubrication Engineers' 8130 (10W30) in my '12 NCX for the majority of its 25,000+ miles. Shifts very well, good economy (~72 mpg lifetime), and the UOAs I've done don't suggest the viscosity or formulating strategy is improper for the bike.

Forgot to say:
I've run RLI 5W40 in this bike, too, and in my previous CBR600. It's a terrific choice. T6 has lowered mpg for me in both the bike and my other vehicles, compared to either RLI 5W40 or any of a variety of xW30s.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
T6 has lowered mpg for me in both the bike and my other vehicles, compared to either RLI 5W40 or any of a variety of xW30s.

Just the opposite for me, as I was getting 70-74 with 10w40 (dino) and 10w30 (Honda oil), and when I switched to T6 it jumped to 75-78. Definitely noticed much better shifting with the T6 too.

An m/c 10W40 also reduced mpg in this bike. The L-E fluid I have mostly used is not tested against JASO motorcycle friction specs. My point was that T6 has reduced mpg vs both RLI 5W40 and L-E's (and others') 10W30s in every vehicle, whether 2-whelled or 4. It's odd, too, because the mpg hit occurs despite the fact that the T6 permanently shears very quickly to a low to mid-range 30 in a shared sump, and to a mid to high 30 in the cars I've used it in.

T6 is still good lube, it just has some specific drawbacks.

I understood you the first time. My point is I've gotten the direct opposite of your results, with mpg increasing across the board when I switched to T6. I'm far from alone too at the U.S. NC forum. I haven't tried RLI or L-E brand oils, so if they're getting more mpg than all the others, they are pretty incredible. Also the shearing isn't any worse according to analysis reports I've read, with all brands starting to sheer at 2k, even Amsoil. T6 fared no worse.

You haven't got the opposite results because you haven't used those fluids. The fluids I mention are stand-outs, which is why I me ntioned them. ;-)

i've only ever used rotella in my bikes and my dad's and both brothers bikes.

15w40 in their bikes and i've used both 15w40 and 5w40 in my bike no issues.

same with my 4wheelers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back