Camry ran low on oil, what do you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've visited the forum which I guess is a good thing, right?
smile.gif
Well, I recently changed my aunt's oil in her Camry and thought I may need to ask for some advice on which oil she should use...

The vehicle in question is a 2007 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder with 178k miles. She's obviously not very good with maintenance. Her last OC was 9 months ago and I don't even want to know how many miles that was. When draining the pan, literally a half quart came out. She then said "you know, the oil light started blinking last week but I just thought it was because the car is old". She got it checked by two people who both said the oil level was fine. One was at an undisclosed auto parts store. There was no clear leak at the time although there was some residue of what looked like a possible slow leak. Also, the valve cover gasket was very moist as if it may have a slow leak as well. That, along with some probable burn-off from the mileage.

My question is, what oil and OCI do you recommend for the future? This is her daily driver for getting to work which means 90% city driving every day. Ignoring any leaks (which will be addressed as needed), I suggested maybe using a high mileage oil and more frequent OCI. Which ones would you recommend for this application and should I do any "damage control" for what has already happened? Does it even matter at this point? Thanks!

I would use a high mileage oil, maybe 10w30 to see if it helps with usage issues. Like Valvoline or Castrol, both a semi-syn.

I would tell her, and put a sticker in the window, to change at 3000miles. Chances are if she is like some of my customers it will be 5000.

My question would be did the oil just burn off/leak out, or did it turn into sludge inside the engine? If the latter, it needs to be cleaned out.

Yes, syn-blend high mileage oil for 1-2k miles for first OCI then 5k OCI's after that. Since the car is driven more than 18-20k miles a year, full-syn high mileage oil such as M1 HM is better with 10k miles OCI so that only 2 OCI's a year.

You should tighten the valve cover bolts, after 178k miles some of them might get loose a little.

Tell her to trade it in on a nice domestic.
laugh.gif

Seriously, this vehicle has Maxlife written all over it IMO. The 3k sticker suggestion is a great one too, it'll likely be a lot more than that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
My question would be did the oil just burn off/leak out, or did it turn into sludge inside the engine? If the latter, it needs to be cleaned out.

How can I verify that myself? Just remove the valve cover and inspect? Would it be best to take it in to a shop?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Tell her to trade it in on a nice domestic.
laugh.gif

I wish it was that easy, unfortunately she can barely afford to put fuel in the car...

Originally Posted By: Donald
At 178K the car has lived a good life. Now its gravy.

I agree with HM oil.
They'll go 300 easy. WITH good care.

i would use hm oil, it is vital that someone checks her oil often walmart and quick lube places will be glad to check it for free
im am also low income and own a car with severe leaks and i know how it is.
also im not saying this to start an argument but i would consider using slick50 or duralube this helps protect the car when its low on oil

these are my opinions if you don't like slick50 etc.. that is your choice

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If it was run low to the point the oil pressure light came on, no oil will repair damage.

That's what I have been telling the family. The general rule is when the light comes on, it's already too late.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice so far.

i have ran mine low (2 quarts)and the oil pressure light came on
im not saying it didnt damage anything but that was 2 years ago and car still runs as good as it ever did

Originally Posted By: tpattgeek
Hi everyone, it's been a while since
The vehicle in question is a 2007 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder with 178k miles. She's obviously not very good with maintenance. Her last OC was 9 months ago and I don't even want to know how many miles that was. When draining the pan, literally a half quart came out. Thanks!

Do what everyone else does. Put on ebay as a low mile perfect,old person owned, one owner, garaged no problem car for a stating bid of 10,999 (with a reserve of 12999)

Originally Posted By: Miller88
You changed the oil last?

I hope jiffy lube or someone changes it before the engine blows. Otherwise it's gonna be your fault ...

Yes, I did it last week and 9 months ago. I'm sorry to say my family's OCIs are not the first thing on my mind on any given day
smile.gif

MaxLife Blend (red bottle) 10W-30 or 40. If it's not already knocking due to low oil, it should be OK. 5k OCI, check & top off every month.

Too bad, you would think the owner's only method for getting to work, she would want to make sure it gets her there.

Oil changes are 20 bucks at any place, there really isn't an excuse.

Show her how to check the oil and tell her to do it once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back