The joys of good beaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where rust is seldom an issue. Cars only die because of mechanical issues, often owner inflicted, which they don't want to fix. Structurally they're fine. My daily driver is an 86 Pontiac. It's easier to diagnose and work on than modern cars, and parts are cheap. It had some issues when I bought it a few years ago, but it's reliable now and has been for a long time. I like early EFI systems - they're more efficient than carburetors but they're well documented and not too hard to diagnose if something goes wrong.

I've had good experiences with late 90s Cavaliers and a Neon. I prefer to avoid OBD-2 though, because the check engine light is a barrier to getting the car registered and it can lead to lots of shooting in the dark. OBD-1, and the electronic controls that era of cars typically use, are simpler to figure out.

Old cars are cheap to own as long as you can work on them yourself - and older models are more service friendly. For those who rely on paid mechanics, the economics are different and younger cars probably make sense.
Old cars can be made reliable. Typically, after purchasing a used car they go through a period of needing issues figured out and fixed. Ultimately they become reliable cars, and cheap to keep that way.
It's valuable to have alternate cars available. I think that's true no matter what you drive, really.

I sometimes hear relatives rationalize whether to repair their cars based upon how much the car is worth. It seems to be a popular form of reasoning, but I don't agree with it. You don't fix a car to profit on resale, you fix it to drive it and avoid spending 10x as much on another car.
Any car that you own and are familiar with is worth more to you than what it's worth to a prospective buyer. The buyer doesn't have the experience with the car that you do, and the mere fact that you are selling it points to it having something wrong with it. They have to factor in their doubts and this depresses the value.
Market value of my car is probably around $1000-$1500. I would not be able to replace the car for that money. I'd end up with somebody else's unknown problems.
If an old car can be made reliable with a $1000 repair, it's cheaper than paying $10,000 for something newer and more complicated. The fact that the old car might have a market value of half the repair cost is irrelevant. Cars are not investments, they are expenditures. Economically speaking, the path which costs less money, costs less money.
Of course there's nothing wrong with somebody wanting a new car, I just don't agree with the way it gets rationalized sometimes.

Last edited:
I love my '94 Nissan Micra I paid £200 ($300) for three years ago. It undertakes 700 mile round trips several times a year, always starts first twist of the key, use no fluids, and has cost me zero in repairs in 48,000 miles. It returns 50+ mpg (imperial), will happily sit at 70mph for hours, at which speed I don't need to turn up the radio volume.
It is scruffy, and terminal rust will claim it in year or so, I hope I can find a replacement for ten times the money, it will be a bargain if I can!.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Buying brand new cars in the last 20 years has become a luxury that few can actually afford if they were savvy enough to really understand how much more expensive it is to buy new cars than reliable 3-4 year old used cars. Most folks that buy new also don't really understand how much that added expense on a cumulative basis damages their ability to retire with any kind of financial security. Repeatedly leasing new cars is the extreme example of how to overspend on new cars - it is basically slow motion financial suicide.

I know a guy paying $500 to lease a Benz (I didn't ask which model) but said him and his wife can't afford to buy a house.

I'm thinking $500 for a lease + S1300 for apartment can get them into a starter home if they made better decisions.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

I know a guy paying $500 to lease a Benz

I'm thinking $500 for a lease + S1300 for apartment can get them into a starter home if they made better decisions.

Not to mention, what money he is putting down on that lease every 3-4 years.

I currently don't have a beater, but if/when I do get one it still will have to be fun to drive- like the 1985 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe(with three pedals, of course) I drove to work from 1993 to 1998.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I've owned beaters all my life, 45 at the last count. My newest car is a 2013 Dodge, bought used, not a beater, but the other car is a 94 Plymouth Acclaim with ~240k on it. I have 11 other Dodges out back, from 88 to 95, anyone of which just needs a battery, gas and a fresh tag to put it to use. Beaters provide utility and save me money.

I'm curious (not trying to be argumenative, honestly!) how this saves money. Are there 11 people in your family? Just comparing to my own, we buy new cars every 11 - 12 years mainly for the safety and reliability. We do own one beater (2000 Ford Taurus Wagon) for all the reasons listed in this thread. Take it anywhere, park anywhere, and haul anything. We love it!

Assuming your 45 cars were bought on average for $5k vs the new cars we'll buy over our life time (5 new currently and assuming 9 total for $25k). That number is correct, we shoot for $25k or close to it. We do not buy $40k - $50k trucks or SUVs, generally compact sedans or CUV.

Your cars: 45 * $5k = $225k
My cars: 9 * $25k = $225k

No difference however I made a lot of assumptions (cost of your cars vs future cost of my cars). I totally get it when folks buy 10 year old cars with 100k and run them 10+ years...then the savings are there.

Used cars: 10 * $5k = $50k

Just curious on your own experience.
smile.gif

Last edited:
That's a good question that I also was pondering. At some point, the cost of ownership of several beaters might not make sense compared to keeping one good, reliable car. This is the case for my wife and I. We have the luxury of having only one car to maintain. We choose to keep one good econobox car for 8 to 10 years vs. several beaters. And, as brought up already, for those who don't wrench on their own cars, beaters can be every bit as expensive as newer cars.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
That's a good question that I also was pondering. At some point, the cost of ownership of several beaters might not make sense compared to keeping one good, reliable car. This is the case for my wife and I. We have the luxury of having only one car to maintain. We choose to keep one good econobox car for 8 to 10 years vs. several beaters. And, as brought up already, for those who don't wrench on their own cars, beaters can be every bit as expensive as newer cars.
The thing with beaters, is if you buy it for $1,500, you can usually sell it for $1,500 a couple years later.

I bought my '97 Camry for $1,700 and 8 months later sold it for $2,200 with 12k more miles.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

How much you pay in insurance may also factor in total cost of ownership.

If you're on monthly payment, you will be paying more for full coverage.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Lol! it's a 2010 BMW 3 series...how much more common of a car could you have? It's practically as common as your civic and in a few years they'll have equivalent market value

Yes, the 3 series BMWs in general are very common, especially here in Oakville, however finding one in dark blue with a tan interior wouldn't be quite as easy of a task and it's exactly the color combo that my wife really loves the most. So if something did ever happen to her car she would not settle for any other color combo and it could take a while to find a suitable replacement. The same thing could be said of my Corvette, I'm very picky about the color combo and options and I would also find a hard time replacing it right away.

I used to own a 1985 Dodge Omni GLH. I kept the car til 1997 when it was totaled in a wreck. Even though Omni's are considered one of the quintessential beater cars, I would love to get another one. We have a 2015 X5 in the stable, and I am convinced I would have way more fun driving an old Omni turbo around town. We also have a one owner 1997 F150 with 270,000 miles that would have to be removed from my cold dead hands before I part with it. It has no dings because it has always been parked far from other cars. That, and the body side molding mounted high helps. The problem I have, is when it starts to look like a beater, I'll do whatever it takes to make them look nice again. We have an old Protege in the shop right now getting rust repair and paint right now.

Sometimes I think it's better to have a car that looks bad from the outside, so it doesn't attract attention from thieves and from insecure/jealousy prone people who will vandalize nice things.

But to be honest, if money wasn't a factor I'd probably get it painted anyway. I just have a hard time justifying the expense to myself. I really would like to improve the interior though, since that's where I'm always sitting and it's pretty ratty.

Couple weeks ago I wanted to try out a new amateur radio antenna on my car. It is past any sort of value, so... drill away.

A week ago the Camry needed to be dropped off overnight for state inspection. Wife followed me over. When I picked her up, she said "you can drive that car into the ground, I don't care, but you do realize no one is going to give you money for it?" Had a good laugh at that, but it has taken a couple of years to accept that truth.

On Monday I spun the fan control to 3 by accident. 3 hasn't worked in over a year. Oddly enough, it decided to. But that was because the arm that controls temp decided to fall out, and leave heat stuck on at full. It then decided to be a pain, and it was a couple of days before I could get it to snap back into place.

Last night, I tried to angle the drivers mirror downward. Supposedly one can do that, then cut the wheel to see if the rear bushings are shot (look to see if the wheel moves on cornering). While doing that the glass popped out! I was able to grab that, and can glue it back in this weekend.

Still need to fix the window (off the track), and the turbo wiring, and due to worn bushings in the suspension the car wanders on the highway. A lot. Need to sand and paint again too, or at least spray it down again with oil.

Originally Posted By: supton
Couple weeks ago I wanted to try out a new amateur radio antenna on my car. It is past any sort of value, so... drill away.

Need to sand and paint again too, or at least spray it down again with oil.

paint? and you have kids??? (PSSST, don't tell the feds about free kids labor...)
antenna? you need a minnie mouse head. it will work wondefully...

I was actually teaching the kids how to use a rattlecan last time. Let 'em do a bit of the priming. Now that the primer is chipping, might let 'em do more of the painting this time. They likely will get bored after a minute, complain about the smell. But how many kids get to spraypaint dads car?

Originally Posted By: supton
... They likely will get bored after a minute, complain about the smell. But how many kids get to spraypaint dads car?

True. Sometimes I feel that these days our children think the real world works like finger action on a modern tablet computer.
grin.gif

Best thing about reliable beater vehicle, it allows you to max out retirement contributions year after year since its costs pennies per mile to keep on road.

Only a fool would be cash poor driving something to impress and have zero thoughts about retirement.

I had to be careful to teach my son that not all cars are "abusable" when we had the old Neon and Tracker in the driveway. One day I found him walking around on the roof of the Tracker...
Then we got the "fancy" Focus and have enforced some rules on what happens around a car, and they are good with it.

Ahh, the joys of good beaters.

I've had a beater since 1992. Picked up an 81 VW Rabbit Diesel and that was my 100mi/day commute car.

For the majority of my time since then, I've had more cars than drivers, or at least another car.

What have I had as beaters over the years?

81 Rabbit (3 years)
xx Plymouth Horizon (had it three weeks, totalled by a driver who failed to yield.)
78 Ford Fairmont (bought for $100, driven three years, sold for $500)
87 LeSabre (3-4 years)
94 Geo Prizm (7 years)

What do we currently have in the fleet?

The newest ride is a 2010 Altima. From oldest to newest, 99 Mercury Grand Marquis, 02 Camry, 03 Protégé5, 03 Corolla and the 10 Altima.

oilBabe drives the Altima, I drive the Protégé5 and the kids drive the rest. If we need to put one of our cars in the shop, the kids have to share amongst themselves since they didn't buy any of the cars they use.

Ironically, the MGM has the lowest mileage at 65K miles. The remainder are all above 120k miles with the Camry sporting just under 260k on the clock.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We have a number of 10 year old+ sub-$4K cars in the family fleet that are perfectly reliable and that are mostly daily drivers.
Our younger son uses a '99 Legacy AWD 2.2 to drive to work six days a week with no problems.
Our older son is currenly driving an '01 Focus to work every day with no problems.
I'm driving an '02 Accord on my fifty mile a day commute without a care.
The old BMW goes back into this use around the first of May.
Then there's also our hauler, a '94 E350 that I bought at auction for $900.00.
I drive it to work now and then just to run it on a semi-regular basis.
These are all good and reliable vehicles, all of which look decent but none of which are pristine.
I drove our '12 Accord to work for the first few months that we had it and was apalled to find a couple of small door dings after only a few months.
My wife mostly uses it now and we use it on weekends and for trips.
No more daily driver commuting use for me.
I'll drive something old and cheap that doesn't make me feel badly when some careless slob hits it with a door.
Too bad you can't park anything new outside of your own driveway without some hapless slob damaging it.
OTOH, good that there is a plentiful supply of inexpensive used cars out there at fairly cheap prices.
Who else has a couple of nice cars but favors something old and cheap for the daily commute?

The other great thing about beaters is when I expense my mileage for work, I get reimbursed at 0.56/mile (give or take) and the P5 only costs me about $0.14/mile to drive, including purchase. That figure goes down every mile, so it's like free money when I do my expense reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back