What Kind Of Oil Are You 5.7 HEMI Guys Running ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are going to be purchasing a new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee to celebrate my retirement in the next couple of months. It looks like we'll be getting it with the 5.7 HEMI engine. The last time I bought new vehicles was back in 1991, and I'm still driving both of them. A lot has changed since then.

I'll admit I've never read the specs on the back of an oil bottle in my entire life. After we get this new Jeep, I'll be changing my own oil as always. I'm just wondering what you guys are running in your HEMI's? The new Multi Displacement System, (MDS), is very dependent on the proper weight oil for it to work properly. This is the system that cuts out 4 cylinders under a low load.

I've heard if you run the wrong weight oil, it won't work correctly, and make a lot of ticking noise in the process. Selecting the correct weight is not an issue. But I'm wondering if a specific brand works best, or better than others? I was leaning toward Mobil 1, but I'd like to hear what you guys are having success with, who have been running these engines for a while? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 doesn't meet the Chrysler MS-6395 spec, so as much as I like it I wouldn't use it while under warranty. The engine calls for 5W20, Pennzoil Platinum would be a good choice since it meets the spec. As far as the MDS system, it will work fine with a 'thicker' oil, it has been discussed here many times before. It's also a hot topic and debate I'd rather not get involved in. Having said that, while under warranty I would use an oil that meets the MS-6395 spec and displays it on the label, in 5W20.

Enjoy your retirement and the GC!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Mobil 1 doesn't meet the Chrysler MS-6395 spec...
+1 on this. I would be certain to use an oil that met the Chrysler specification (at least while under warranty). Do I think that M1 would be fine in your engine? Yes, without a doubt, but better safe than sorry. Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra, Valvoline SynPower, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, or Castrol Edge are some of the oils that do meet the specification.

Do places like Wal Mart carry it? I ask because I had briefly considered the 3.0 Eco Diesel. However it only has 2 types of oil that meets Chrysler's specs. One of which was Pennzoil Ultra Euro L, which you can only get on line from E-Bay or else Amazon. Not to mention it's high cost, and the fact you need 10+ quarts.

Add to that $45.00 oil filters and $100.00 fuel filters, a DEF system, and all of a sudden any savings on fuel seemed moot, and the HEMI started looking pretty good! Also, on the Eco Diesel it's a pain to get at the oil filter. You've got to remove the bonnet as well as the air intake plumbing, and move another line out of the way. It also requires a 15 to 30 minute wait per Chrysler after refilling, before you restart the engine. No "Quick Lube" places here. And there is no guarantee that a dealer would even do it correctly. I don't want or need a vehicle that turns an oil change into a Moon shot. I like the fact the HEMI uses a spin on filter. The fancy oil I can live with, just as long as I don't have to go on a safari to buy it.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Is this the stuff I'll be needing?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-5W20-Full-Synthetic-Platinum-Motor-Oil-5-qt/35930940
This would do it
grin.gif

I just purchased a 2015 RAM with a 5.7 HEMI. I will just use the Chrysler service plan that comes with the vehicle. Pennzoil Yellow Bottle has served me well for many XXX,XXX's of miles there is no strong desire for me change now.

I own an '11 5.7l MDS Hemi Ram. I've used Amsoil, Platium, Ultra, and currently am running M1 EP 0w20. So far, I've noticed the at lest with my engine, it seems to like the Amsoil and M1 EP a little better than the Pennzoil's. Both of those oils seemed to allow for a little bit more engine noise. I don't expect that to be an problem in all reality, but my truck sounds a little better with something else.

5w20 is very important. I've seen a 5.7L filled w Shell 5w30 burn through oil on a highway trip and nearly lost a motor. Customer requested 5w30 vs 5w20 and called from 700 miles away. No reading on dipstick, no leaks. Local dealer towed and did the change w 5w20 and all was well.

FORMULASHELL® CONVENTIONAL MOTOR OIL meets or exceeds:
• North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with gasoline and
gasoline turbo-charged engines where API SN with Resource Conserving, SN, SM, SL, SJ etc. oils are specified
• ILSAC GF-5 standard
• Meets to GM 6094M specification (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30)
• Meets Chrysler MS-6395 specification (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30)
• Meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A and WSS-M2C930-A specifications (SAE 5W-20), and WSS-M2C946-A and WSSM2C929-A
specifications (5W-30)

Last edited:
It's hard to believe these new engines are so weight specific.

They aren't. The SRT version called for 0w-40 for example.

Do places like Wal Mart carry it? I ask because I had briefly considered the 3.0 Eco Diesel. However it only has 2 types of oil that meets Chrysler's specs. One of which was Pennzoil Ultra Euro L, which you can only get on line from E-Bay or else Amazon. Not to mention it's high cost, and the fact you need 10+ quarts.

Add to that $45.00 oil filters and $100.00 fuel filters, a DEF system, and all of a sudden any savings on fuel seemed moot, and the HEMI started looking pretty good! Also, on the Eco Diesel it's a pain to get at the oil filter. You've got to remove the bonnet as well as the air intake plumbing, and move another line out of the way. It also requires a 15 to 30 minute wait per Chrysler after refilling, before you restart the engine. No "Quick Lube" places here. And there is no guarantee that a dealer would even do it correctly. I don't want or need a vehicle that turns an oil change into a Moon shot. I like the fact the HEMI uses a spin on filter. The fancy oil I can live with, just as long as I don't have to go on a safari to buy it.

I just wanted to say diesel would be my option
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
5w20 is very important. I've seen a 5.7L filled w Shell 5w30 burn through oil on a highway trip and nearly lost a motor. Customer requested 5w30 vs 5w20 and called from 700 miles away. No reading on dipstick, no leaks. Local dealer towed and did the change w 5w20 and all was well.

FORMULASHELL® CONVENTIONAL MOTOR OIL meets or exceeds:
• North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with gasoline and
gasoline turbo-charged engines where API SN with Resource Conserving, SN, SM, SL, SJ etc. oils are specified
• ILSAC GF-5 standard
• Meets to GM 6094M specification (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30)
• Meets Chrysler MS-6395 specification (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30)
• Meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A and WSS-M2C930-A specifications (SAE 5W-20), and WSS-M2C946-A and WSSM2C929-A
specifications (5W-30)

Absolutely absurd.

If you are truly trying to say a hemi engine consumed all the 5w-30 and almost killed the engine yet no problems with 5w-20 you better stick around and start at the very beginning of BITOG and read every single thread,because it's total nonsense.

Heck I have a 2013 hemi manual that says if truck will be used for tow duty then 5w-30 can be substituted.
So is Chrysler intentionally trying to destroy their engines by saying use 5w-30 in heavy duty usage.
Gimme a break. Truly absurd.
Now we have 4 hemi's in our family. I've got an 06 charger with mds. I use 0w-40 in the summer and 5w-20 in the winter. No consumption whatsoever nor is there any fuel consumption changes either.
My brothers 08 ram uses whatever I've got handy from a 20 grade in the winter to a 15w-40 hdeo for my forklift and at 280000 miles no consumption whatsoever on any grade.
My uncles 2012,which I service gets a 20 in the winter and a 30 in the summer and no changes in fuel economy nor any consumption.
My inherited 2013 ram just got filled up with 0w-40 and not a single issue.

So your comment is not only absurd but laughable.
These hemi engines are able to run any grade lubricant. Is a 15w-40 optimal? It is when towing 6000 pounds across the province and oil temps remain elevated the entire trip. However at 0c it's not optimal but certainly works just fine.
I've learned based on my experience with the hemi engine is match the oil grade to ambient temps and operating conditions of the vehicle. It's just that simple.
Use a 0w-30 if that's what you feel is best if towing often. Go thinner if not.
In the summer heat I'm a big fan of the euro 0w-40 oils. They are the best bang for the buck out there however during winter and -40c starts a 20 grade is much more appropriate.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

They are not.

Exactly.

Let's think about this. At -15c a 5w-20 is really thick at start up however the hemi runs just fine with this thick cold oil. Mds and vvt operate and I can personally vouch for MDS engaging with oil temps at 60f since my charger has digital temp and pressure displays and I've witnessed this phenomenon during the winter.
So we have established that these systems operate as designed with thick cold 5w-20.
So are we trying to say that these systems won't work properly with a 40 grade when the oil is hot. Since the hot 40 grade is substantially thinner than the cold 20 grade how sensible is it to believe that the heavier grade will cause an issue when the cold thinner grade is actually thicker for a period of time.

Makes no sense whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Be careful.... The Charger, Jeep, and Challenger SRTs do not have the 5.7L engine. Depending on year they have the 6.1L, 6.4L, or the sc 6.2L and spec 0w40 or 5w40 depending on year.

I got the approval from my service mgr first! He told me off the record I would have no issue and he recommended I use a 30Wt since I tow a medium size camper and SeaDoos in the summer...

I recently poured in 5Qts 0W-30 & 2Qts 0W-40... The 5.7L really seems to react well to this combo!! She is Very Responsive and Smooth & Quiet! No problems with the MDS!

Just might change to a 5W-30 and stick with it for the life of the New 5.7L...

Originally Posted By: lonestar
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Be careful.... The Charger, Jeep, and Challenger SRTs do not have the 5.7L engine. Depending on year they have the 6.1L, 6.4L, or the sc 6.2L and spec 0w40 or 5w40 depending on year.

Right, but they are all HEMI's and some of them share MDS, which is the component some believe is supposed to be sensitive to viscosity. It really isn't. It couldn't be due to how oil thickens as it cools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back