Remember that O noes my Forester died thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contacted SofA for help with the cost. $1800 out of a $9600 bill.

I am getting $750 back which I still think is [censored] but what can I do. 4 months/3000 miles out of powertrain warranty is the line. I told them back I don't think it is right to even admit that it is ok for an engine to fail so early in it's life especially if maintained.

I guess you pay to play even when you really weren't playing the game.

Just really sucks! I'll still buy Subaru just maybe not without a extended warranty!

09 had tsb for excsessive oil usage. CNC drill error on valve guide bore. IIRC it was drilled twice; one time a few thousandths off the initial drill thru leaving an oil leak path to the valve bowl.. Our 09 suffered this and instead of doing a repair at 55K we just traded it on an '11 FB. Too badI liked the 09 bestterer.

Not only do I not remember that thread, neither does Google. I even went through your posting history and can't find a topic that sounds like that.

Perhaps a link would help.

For $9600 you should be able to get 2 aftermarket fully rebuilt engines fully installed with warranty, but I guess you are talking about dealer prices.

I just topped off my wife's 2009 Forester with about 0.7 quarts after 5k miles. Our Subie must not have been affected by this problem.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

I am getting $750 back which I still think is [censored] but what can I do. 4 months/3000 miles out of powertrain warranty is the line. I told them back I don't think it is right to even admit that it is ok for an engine to fail so early in it's life especially if maintained.

Just really sucks! I'll still buy Subaru just maybe not without a extended warranty!

You're right! Subaru's arrogant tones do nothing to promote the goodwill and nature we should all feel for one another.

How about you get a real quote from a Indie Subbie shop and post that number. $9600 is hard to believe for almost any repair.

I know the brand has a loyal following, but we had a Legacy as a company pool car and I drove it for a few business trips. Not impressed at all. Uncomfortable seats, acres of cheap shiny plastic and each and every time I filled it up I smelt coolant. I take comfort that there are so many other brands to choose from that I will never have to own one. All of our sales and engineers were not sad to see that one leave the company pool ~ it was not just me.

Okay, my bias is fully exposed, but why would an otherwise well maintained engine fail so early? IC engines have been around for what...90+ years? yes, some of the technology is leading edge, but come on now, how hard is this for a large OEM to get right?

If they were a little more accommodating it would have made the OP happy and he'd tell us all how good they were to him. What a pathetic loss of trust even if the OP wants to go there again ??

so i sort of trudged through your first thread. the connecting rod exploded, but what was the root cause? the turbo grenaded and shat into the crankcase?

Doesn't 9600 dollars come sort of close to buying you a 2009 subaru?

What a shame.

Take it to an independent shop, I bet that number drops in half at least.

A lot of it was taxes and me driving around for a month in loaner because it took so [censored] long to get the warranty company to agree to it. I imagine they were trying to get out of it. They looked for a used engine first but for obvious reasons didn't find one. Non-turbo's there are significant amounts of used engines for some reason.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
You're right! Subaru's arrogant tones do nothing to promote the goodwill and nature we should all feel for one another.

Great you get a cookie for sarcasm
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
so i sort of trudged through your first thread. the connecting rod exploded, but what was the root cause? the turbo grenaded and shat into the crankcase?

Bearing failed...If it was oil starved they never mentioned it and I am not privy to the internal document from the warranty company.

All the independents around here would just buy a Jasper or other remanufactured engine. There aren't that many besides the one shop I know who only do Subaru's and they were and still are REALLY backed up because they do good work.

I really wanted an aftermarket built motor with better components for longevity but I was given the impression the warranty company may throw a fit, maybe. Like others have said maybe I'll get rid of the car in a year or two and buy a Honda
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

I'm lost here

what was the 9600 for?

If I understand your other post and this one you just replaced the engine around a month ago and the new one failed?

Is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back