Gear Reduction Starter Grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this has been discussed, my apologies - I didn't find it.

It seems that the standard starter design for automotive applications has become the gear reduction type, so I need to come up with a grease for the planetary drives in these to keep my small fleet starting.

Dow Corning makes a grease specifically for this application, Molykote 7514. It is a NLGI 1-2 PAO/Ester Lithium based grease. Perfect, I imagine, but you can't get it - unless you need industrial quantities.

These drives don't really need too much in the way of lubrication, I believe, but they need some, and the most compelling need, as I see it, is the lube needs to have excellent low temp. performance. I'm sure that using the usual automotive grease would lead to disappointment when hitting the key at -45f.

I've been thinking synthetic aviation greases like Mobilith SHC 100, 220, or 460 - I haven't decided. I would appreciate opinions on these, and other alternatives. The starter I currently have apart appears to have a ABS plastic gearcase, so rubber / plastic compatibility is a factor. And it needs to be readily available in tube or tub quantities.

Thank you!

I'd be tempted with Moly but it depends how fast the toothed wheel spins - anything too runny could drip/fling off on cranking..

Thinking about it, whenever I've changed a starter in the past the wheel has never been 'greased', just a smooth, reasonably well polished surface.

The starter in my bike uses bronze bushings and doesn't require grease. In fact that would just gum it up. But it's an older technology also....

To clarify - this is for the planetary gears inside the starter, not for the pinion gear that engages with the flywheel ring gear.

check out the greases used for inner cv joints, these are thinner tha for outside cv joints and wheel bearings.

obvioulsy compatible with the plastic/rubber cv boots

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I got some Mobil SHC100. Service temp to -40. Stuck it in the freezer along with a tube of the old standby StaLube red. Big difference! The freezer is just 0, but definitely on the right track. So, I used it. We'll see what happens when it gets cold again. Hopefully I'll have some -20 or -30 weather to test it, rather than going straight to -45 or something and having it be a fly or die situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back