2006 Chevy Equinox ATF - Valvoline MaxLife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per some advice in this thread, I want to get the tranny fluid in this vehicle changed out.

Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF appears to fit the bill; anyone know anything about this? Is it good stuff, or would the Mag1 ATF noted in that thread be better? The MaxLife is available at a steep discount for me where I work, but the quality is more important to me than the cost.

Along those same lines, how often should I look to be changing out the transmission fluid? 5000 miles, which is what I use for my OCI, or something else?

i would wait at least 15,000 miles to change the tranny fluid perhaps even double that amount
valvoline maxlife is a quality fluid
also change the filter at some point not just a fluid extraction

Is that 15k taking into account the fact that the tranny on this car is known to have issues? I'm real panicky about transmission problems, since that's one of the few places I simply am not comfortable working on myself, aside from standard fluid changes.

i think any sooner than 15k would be a waste, but im not a mechanic
just some guy with an opinion
better let others chime in
i would also consult your owners manual

Originally Posted By: JayDaniel
Per some advice in this thread, I want to get the tranny fluid in this vehicle changed out.

Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF appears to fit the bill; anyone know anything about this? Is it good stuff, or would the Mag1 ATF noted in that thread be better? The MaxLife is available at a steep discount for me where I work, but the quality is more important to me than the cost.

Along those same lines, how often should I look to be changing out the transmission fluid? 5000 miles, which is what I use for my OCI, or something else?

Your 06 Equinox calls for a T-IV fluid( also known as JWS-3309 )to be used in your Aisin-Warner transaxle. Use any ATF that is T-IV/T-IV compatible or lists spec JWS-3309. Castrol's Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF was a popular ATF on the Equinox forum when I was there( had a 2008 )and is a really good choice IMO.

Change interval for the transaxle on your 06 is every 50K. That is actually the severe service. The normal service is every 100K but T-IV/JWS-3309 fluids are in no way good for 100K. 50K is pushing it frankly.

I am assuming you are not the original owner of this 06 Equinox is that correct? If so I would change the fluid now, then again in say 5,000 miles, then at 10,000 miles, and then go to a 30K service interval which is better suited to the fluid used. You pull a drain plug and as I recall you only get like 4 qts out or so max. That is why it is good to do a couple short intervals and then drain. Trans flushes are usually not recommended for this trans for some reason? Some places do it but most say it is a no-no for this application.

NOTE - the filter is not serviceable in this transmission( unless it is out and torn down ). It is a good idea to add an inline transmission filter that can be serviced each time you do a drain and fill. AC Delco offers a kit and there are many offered out there from aftermarket mfg's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Thanks, that was exactly the information I needed!

Last edited:
I have maxlife and a bottle of lubeguard red in my 05 Equinox and it runs excellent. It doesn't have the mis shift you can get in the cold and the shifts are smooth and crisp. Highly recommend it.

On another note, have fun doing a drain and fill if you decide to do that. The fill tube/dipstick are located in a terrible place with the transmission mount right in the way. Tough but not impossible to do. The rear spark plugs are worse. Great SUV though! We love our Equinox!

Valvoline ML is sewer water. Use Dex VI.

Don't use Dex VI either. NHHEMI is correct. I had to look it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back