Oil Dip Stick Stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a 2002 F-150 with the 4.6 V-8. I've owned it since new and have taken good care of it. Went to check the oil level and the dip stick is stuck real well in the tube. It can rotate a little but I've been unable to remove it for fear of using too much pull and breaking it off in the tube. I sprayed it heavily with penetrating spray and will try again tomorrow. Any other ideas or has this happened to any of you?

Whimsey

i never had one stuck but i had a nissan sentra that was difficult to reinsert the dipstick

Give it a good tug. Even if it breaks off removing the dipstick tube to remove what's left and reinstalling is rather easy

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Happened to me on a date once. Doctor was not respectful at all.

Good one!!

Originally Posted By: dernp
Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Happened to me on a date once. Doctor was not respectful at all.

Good one!!

That's thinking with your dipstick!
banana2.gif

John

If it breaks you can try compressed air to push it and if worse comes to worse remove the dipstick tube and pull it out. The parts stores should have it in stock for about 12$. Another trick would be to use a fairly long would screw then maybe you can pull it out.

Last edited:
Heat the tube up with a small torch or lighter while gently twisting and pulling. it'll come right out.

Wow! If it's been taken good care of since new, what could possibly cause something like this to happen?

Does it have an o-ring that goes down in the tube or is it like a cap that goes over the tube?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I bet that the OP had his oil changed somewhere and they caused it. Tell us Whimsey where did you get the oil changed on your truck last?

Sacrilege.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I bet that the OP had his oil changed somewhere and they caused it. Tell us Whimsey where did you get the oil changed on your truck last?

Uh, I did it myself as I've been doing mostly for over 40 years now. Since new the truck has not used any measurable oil in even 7.500 mile oil changes so I don't check it that often. This fall/winter season I didn't drive much and it sat and when driven it was on salty roads. I'll try the heat tomorrow if it doesn't come loose from the penetrating spray I used today.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Uh, I did it myself as I've been doing mostly for over 40 years now. Since new the truck has not used any measurable oil in even 7.500 mile oil changes so I don't check it that often. This fall/winter season I didn't drive much and it sat and when driven it was on salty roads. I'll try the heat tomorrow if it doesn't come loose from the penetrating spray I used today.

Whimsey

Very strange Whimsey!

I assume that the tube is metal and the stopper is rubber?

I agree that it sounds like the metal kinked somehow inside the tube so hoping that you don't break it inside the tube. Have you called Ford and asked if they have any TSBs about something like this? Perhaps something in a part was defective.

Loop some twine around the handle with a foot of slack then pull it up like a slide hammer. Go easy at first, don't break it.

Got the dip stick out today. After spraying it heavily with Schaeffer's Penetrol 90 yesterday and running it 60 highway miles yesterday I gave it a good two handed tug and it came out. There was rust in the tube top. The dip stick has a hard plastic type seal on it, it was covered in rust from the tube. There were no bends/kinks in the dip stick for it to stick in the tube. I cleaned the rust off the tube and and dip stick and coated the dip stick seal with synthetic oil. This was a first for me for a dip stick sticking in the tube.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back