1988 bmw 635csi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a mint 1988 bmw 635csi for sale with 95k miles on it. It has an auto trans. He is asking 5k for it. Car has never been modified and has a clean carfax. Is it worth it or should I pass

27 years old with 95k miles on it is only 3500 miles/year.
One of BMW's best cars in the 1980's.
Auto trans is sort of a downer, would be more fun with a 5-speed.
If it really hasn't been modified, it sounds like a good deal.

My son just bought an 82 633CSI for 1800 with 100K and a manual. Very interesting car. Although they have a reputation for rust his is sound. We have had some fun fixing the central lock module and blower controls, to name a few. The lock control is a sealed plastic box but it can be opened with a dremel. the failure is often a burned circuit board trace which can be easily fixed. SOme good info on websites devoted to the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Agree. $5k for a good condition 635 CSI is very good deal, the same car in California can be as high as $8-9k.

I had a 1988 M6 that I bitterly regret selling. I'd say go for it, but I'd also like to see it inspected by a good BMW tech. Make sure all the electrical gadgets work when you test drive it. The engine is pretty much bulletproof, but the E24s can be prone to rust in a few areas, which is one reason why I'd want a PPI.

Great cars, one day I'd like to buy one before they shoot up in price.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-bmw-euro-635/
Here is a link to a nice example on a dangerous website. Hide your checkbook before looking around bring a trailer lots of neat toys for sale.

Coming from someone who restored a Mercedes $24k is a killer deal if you want a very, very nice properly sorted car. The trick with German cars is to buy the best you can up front.

My dream garage is a 6 series, 560SEC, and Ferrari 355.

Last edited:
We did own an 86 or 87 635csi for several years in the early 2000s. As noted above, rust can be a problem around the wheel wells and bottoms of front and rear fenders. The problems we had were little electrical gremlins to the multi-way power seats, a seized front brake caliper [ blame myself for not flushing the brake system every 2 years as recommended] and a strange intermittent no-start that ended up being a faulty starter solenoid relay. These were very expensive autobahn cruisers in their day and are comfortable for long highway trips. If the car has been well maintained with all the documentation and a local BMW mechanic checks it out this is a good deal. If the records are missing, I would try to get a better price.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I would skip buying that BMW.

Of course YOU would, you've never owned anything other than "appliances"

I'd go for it. From someone who's doing a light restoration on an 88 325is, these cars are addictive! when they run well and are properly maintained, they are head-turners and are finally appreciating in price!

That being said, dont' buy it as a dd. Cars these days will easily outperform them. These are project cars meant to be enjoyed on the weekend.

For those of use who like interesting mechanical things and drivers cars, pre 1990 German cars offer quite a bit.

They are modern and well built enough to still be good drivers, so you can take your wife or GF out without complaints. Also they are simple enough that you don't need a super computer and a dealer to work on them. Throw in a massive fan base, excellent parts support usually from the manufactures themselves, and than simply the fact that they are blast to drive.

I can't think of a better almost classic than an 80's BMW, Mercedes, Jag, or Porsche to play with. They are also affordable for the average gear head.

Its amazing the cars you can get for a song these days, SL500 R129's come to mind. Still fantastic cars you can have for pennies on the dollar of new, and the best part is they will probably appreciate over the coming decades.

R107's and C126's have already started to creep up in value. I remember when no R107 would be a $20k car, now a good one is in the mid $20k range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Agree. $5k for a good condition 635 CSI is very good deal, the same car in California can be as high as $8-9k.
the car is completely stock and regularly maintained. The guy said it stayed in his garage. It came from Florida so that's a consern with rust but if it was central Florida than it would be ok. Ima test drive it and see how it runs and take it to a good bmw tech to check it out as someone stated.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Of course YOU would, you've never owned anything other than "appliances"

I'd go for it. From someone who's doing a light restoration on an 88 325is, these cars are addictive! when they run well and are properly maintained, they are head-turners and are finally appreciating in price!

That being said, dont' buy it as a dd. Cars these days will easily outperform them. These are project cars meant to be enjoyed on the weekend.

I love the "experts" who haven't even sat in a BMW- never mind driven or owned one. Sometimes I think it's motivated by spite: "I have to drive a soul-sapping anodyne appliance, so you should have to as well."

If this car checks out it would be an exceptional deal.
These coupes are gorgeous to look at and as nice to drive as the seventies five series with which they share everyhting under the sheet metal, so pretty nice.
Thes cars are getting hard to find in decent shape.
If this car is as described, it is a steal at $5K.
Too bad about the slushbox, though.

Amen.
Every shade tree mechanic should own at least one good German car at some point.
Many of those up through the late nineties or so are very well built and very durable and reliable, aside from being entertaining to drive.
Any current Camry would eat your 2002 for breakfast, but a 2002 is so much nicer to look at inside and out and is so much more entertaining to drive.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
For those of use who like interesting mechanical things and drivers cars, pre 1990 German cars offer quite a bit.

They are modern and well built enough to still be good drivers, so you can take your wife or GF out without complaints. Also they are simple enough that you don't need a super computer and a dealer to work on them. Throw in a massive fan base, excellent parts support usually from the manufactures themselves, and than simply the fact that they are blast to drive.

I can't think of a better almost classic than an 80's BMW, Mercedes, Jag, or Porsche to play with. They are also affordable for the average gear head.

Its amazing the cars you can get for a song these days, SL500 R129's come to mind. Still fantastic cars you can have for pennies on the dollar of new, and the best part is they will probably appreciate over the coming decades.

R107's and C126's have already started to creep up in value. I remember when no R107 would be a $20k car, now a good one is in the mid $20k range.

Well said.

Go for it. Not 100% sure if it should be a DD - that depends on its overall mechanical condition. I'd love to have a car like that as a wk end / fun car, and baby it. 95k is low miles!

If you get it, please post pics. 635csi is a lovely car, inside and out.

On a side note, I don't think there's any other brand that attracts haters than BMW, even when they haven't owned one. Weird phenomenon.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

On a side note, I don't think there's any other brand that attracts haters than BMW, even when they haven't owned one. Weird phenomenon.

You've got that right.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

Yes, it is, I experienced that when I owned an e34 in SoCal. But there is no strong BMW or BMW-owner bias in this part of the world, it's just another car and the cheaper ones especially are very common. No doubt it's the marketing angle from N-A BMW that makes the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back