Smitty's Super S vs Pennzoil "GOLD" blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't a fair comparison
Pennzoil wins easily
Smittys super s is a good oil but not as good as Pennzoil
I dont know what to make of some of these posts

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Having not heard of Smitty's before (not that it means anything) and given only these two choices, I would opt for the Pennzoil Gold--which by all accounts seems to be a good oil. BlueOvalFitter ran it in his F150 and I believe garnered good results from the run. I assume this is the one that you are considering from Smittys?

This oil has now hit the "big time" by being sold by Menards. A few weeks ago you could get the 5 quart jug for, IIRC, $5.99 after MIR. Of course, if both were given to me, I'd go for the Pennz also.

I wouldn't buy anything smittys.I live pretty close to there plant in Roseland la and after hearing about there qc from a former quality controle guy that they use the bottom of the barrel oil left over from bottling other brands(don't know what brand oil they bottle for) and put a super s sticker on it. I'm not saying any of this is true but its what I've heard down the grape vine

Smittys uses Shell for its base stock from what I have been told
If you look in the Smittys catalog you will see their warehouse is full of Sopus products

It won't matter with either of the cars you've recently acquired.
Neither has an engine that's at all demanding.
Save the few dollar premium that Pennzoil Gold would cost for some other need or want.
More expensive oil rarely means better oil for most engines as most of us use them.
If you're not going to tax the Smitty's, then your engine will in no way benefit from something more costly.
IOW, if the Smitty's has a level of capability that you'll never exceed, then using a more capable oil gains you nothing except a lighter wallet.

Originally Posted By: moparguy19
I wouldn't buy anything smittys.I live pretty close to there plant in Roseland la and after hearing about there qc from a former quality controle guy that they use the bottom of the barrel oil left over from bottling other brands(don't know what brand oil they bottle for) and put a super s sticker on it. I'm not saying any of this is true but its what I've heard down the grape vine

Maybe he is a former quality-control guy for a reason. I've been using Smitty's 5W20 for the last few years for 5-7K OCIs and haven't had any issues. They make decent products and can be found for very good prices at either K-Mart or Menards. I DO know that they blend Rotella so if SOPUS contracts with them to handle one of their top-tier products, I see no reason to believe their own label is of inferior quality. Use it with confidence and don't be afraid of the neysayers here.

Originally Posted By: bds1984
Originally Posted By: moparguy19

Maybe he is a former quality-control guy for a reason. I've been using Smitty's 5W20 for the last few years for 5-7K OCIs and haven't had any issues. They make decent products and can be found for very good prices at either K-Mart or Menards. I DO know that they blend Rotella so if SOPUS contracts with them to handle one of their top-tier products, I see no reason to believe their own label is of inferior quality. Use it with confidence and don't be afraid of the neysayers here.
he quit because they didn't pay very well. Like I said I have no idea if it is true but I do trust my source. As far As them bottling oil for other company's I wouldn't hesitate to use oil that they bbottled, I just wouldnt use the super s brand based on what I've heard from former and current employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back