2 Cycle Oil in Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

I am going to run a test of an 8 cubic inch Briggs Engine. I have mixed 30 cc TC-W3 per gallon of gasoline. The engine drives a generator. I have a digital KW meter which counts time and KWH. I intend to do at least a 5 hour test on the oil in fuel and on the regular gasoline. I have a brand new spark plug installed for each test to try to eliminate erors.

Should be interesting. I'll post the results.

5 hours is nothing. Should make it at least 100hours so deposits can form.

30ml =~~1oz = 128 to 1 ratio?

Last edited:
How are you going to ensure a truly constant load? The efficiency of the engine differs at different load points, so unless you do constant load at constant temperatures, or do a statistically significant set of replicates, this wont tell us much...

I have an electric heater that draws 1195 watts but minor variations will be captured in the KW Hours reading.

Originally Posted By: Rand

I am strictly interested in short term efficiency. That is the test objective. As you figured one ounce per gallon.

But really I doubt there would be deposits as normal dilution is 50 to 1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

What is the recommended ratio?

128 to 1 seams like way too lite on the oil.

I realize the ratio is light if it were a 2 cycle. Its a 4 cycle. Just looking to see how a lesseer quantity works to boost efficiency..if at all.

I use 1 ounce per 5 gallons in my pick up trucks and the briggs powered John Deere mower. The mower had the most noticeable difference. Cut fuel consumption noticeably in it. Still has original spark plug after 5 years of use.

Just did a 2.5 hour run. I did use the output to run resistance heating in my house. 1 gallon for 3.4 KWH. Thats like 10% efficiency.

Originally Posted By: Al
Just did a 2.5 hour run. I did use the output to run resistance heating in my house. 1 gallon for 3.4 KWH. Thats like 10% efficiency.

It's sobering, isn't it ?

NG prices here have hit parity with unleaded (and will soar further)...but I can't burn unleaded neat to heat my home.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
did you use pure gasoline?

No that's with the gasoline and oil. If there is no measurable improvement it might say that using a mixture of say 700:1 would be totally like using a placebo.

I will be doing the secone 2.5 hour run this afternoon again on oil and gasoline.

I have approximately 2 more hours to run on straight gasoline. A number of things have prevented me from completiong the test. I won't be able to finish it til Tuesday. It is looking like there will be no difference, unfortunately. I am surprised.

Hey Al, an experiment is an experiment.

For a test like this, the energy content in the tank over time would expect no real change.

two machines side by side, wearing out/fouling may show some differences.

Alas, you've not got a "butt dyno" in this case.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Hey Al, an experiment is an experiment.

For a test like this, the energy content in the tank over time would expect no real change.

two machines side by side, wearing out/fouling may show some differences.

Alas, you've not got a "butt dyno" in this case.

Yea. All I can do is see if the oil gives a bit more efficiency by cutting down on ring friction. And I can read total KWH for each gallon of fuel. Two gallons each run. Since the engine has no cat, it can't hurt.

Last edited:
Results are in. 5 hours test on 2 gallons. Each performed with 128:1 TC-W3.

Test with the oil in gas yielded 7.3% greater output for the same 2 gallons.

I will repeat the test again but this time do a continuous 5 hour run instead of breaking it up into multiple runs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back