Does anyone like the 2013+ Nissan Altima 2.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right!
At one time, the Sentra & the Infinity G20 shared the same chassis/platform.
And the Maxima and the Infinity I30 shared the same with each other.

I drove a rental Altima last week for 280 miles. Didn't like how the engine lugs below 50 mph. The engine itself was fine.

The steering was finicky. Minor corrections were hard to make. I would put pressure on the wheel and nothing would happen. Give it a little more pressure and still nothing. Give it some more and it would over-correct.

The ride was stiff and choppy.

My 2014 Fusion drives and rides much better.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm

BTW someone mentioned an infiniti version, infiniti does not have a version of this car, or any modern Nissan aside from the Armada and Pathfinder. The Altima looks like a G/Q40/50/60 but they are totally different platforms. Same with the Murano and FX/QX70 (I think) - look similar but totally different.

The current Pathfinder/JX35-QX60 is built on the Nissan "D" platform. Same as the Altima and Maxima

Personally, I've never liked a single Nissan. No real reason. Just how I feel. I don't see myself ever buying one either.

Their most recent Altima commercial cracks me up. They try to make it seem all sexy and it's not even in the realm of stylish. A dying car brand IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Throt
Personally, I've never liked a single Nissan. No real reason. Just how I feel. I don't see myself ever buying one either.

Their most recent Altima commercial cracks me up. They try to make it seem all sexy and it's not even in the realm of stylish. A dying car brand IMO.

They just didn't keep up with the trends. They were a good brand a while back then they became somewhat a one-trick-pony....performance. Now the pony has no tricks. Just another me-too company.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm

BTW someone mentioned an infiniti version, infiniti does not have a version of this car, or any modern Nissan aside from the Armada and Pathfinder. The Altima looks like a G/Q40/50/60 but they are totally different platforms. Same with the Murano and FX/QX70 (I think) - look similar but totally different.

The current Pathfinder/JX35-QX60 is built on the Nissan "D" platform. Same as the Altima and Maxima

Yeah, that's the one I was referring to being the same as the Pathfinder. The Armada and QX56/80 also share a platform.

The old G20 did share some major parts with the Sentra, but I think it was a different platform.

I've heard too many people say they won't ever buy another Nissan. They are relatively expensive to buy, repair and maintain. I have no personal experience, though.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: Mykl
We test drove one, stuff we liked...

- great fuel efficiency
- eerily smooth ride, extraordinarily comfortable seats
- budget spec model didn't feel like a budget spec model (features, finishes, etc)

Any dislikes?

It drives like everyone on the internet thinks a Camry drives; very isolated, almost no feedback.

We test drove one, stuff we liked...

- great fuel efficiency
- eerily smooth ride, extraordinarily comfortable seats
- budget spec model didn't feel like a budget spec model (features, finishes, etc)

Any dislikes?

It drives like everyone on the internet thinks a Camry drives; very isolated, almost no feedback.

Camries typically do drive like that. That's fine for 90% of drivers who would prefer a car that does isolate the driver.

The Sonata that we rented seemed like it was going for that Camry experience. They didn't quite match up. The Koreans do a lot of things well but chassis tuning is not there yet. (can you imagine what the Genesis Coupe would handle like in the hands of Mazda or German chassis tuners?)

The Altima is a surprise. I thought Renault would have been able to engineer in a French level of ride compliance. Maybe marketing thinks that would be unacceptable in a Japanese car (from Tennessee)

Yes. Nissan has practically perfected the 2.5 engine. It has a great powerband, and gets amazing hwy mpg. I never had any issues with Nissans, and our family has had several. They are great value, inexpensive parts, and easy to repair. My Sisters RSX on the other hand, has been nothing but problematic; a/c fail, throttle sensor fail, notorious grinding trans, suspension problems, hood hatch fail, and parts on that car aren't cheap.

Camries typically do drive like that. That's fine for 90% of drivers who would prefer a car that does isolate the driver.

The Sonata that we rented seemed like it was going for that Camry experience. They didn't quite match up. The Koreans do a lot of things well but chassis tuning is not there yet. (can you imagine what the Genesis Coupe would handle like in the hands of Mazda or German chassis tuners?)

The Altima is a surprise. I thought Renault would have been able to engineer in a French level of ride compliance. Maybe marketing thinks that would be unacceptable in a Japanese car (from Tennessee)

I own a Camry. I also test drove at least a dozen of them before we bought this one.

If you're in a Camry that drives like the internet says it does, the struts are blown and it needs an alignment (OEM 6th gen Camry struts are not durable).

It's still a mid sized sedan, so obviously if you're comparing it to Miatas or any other car specifically designed for sport it's going to be a boat. But compared to other similar cars it doesn't deserve the stereotype.

I own a Camry. I also test drove at least a dozen of them before we bought this one.

If you're in a Camry that drives like the internet says it does, the struts are blown and it needs an alignment (OEM 6th gen Camry struts are not durable).

It's still a mid sized sedan, so obviously if you're comparing it to Miatas or any other car specifically designed for sport it's going to be a boat. But compared to other similar cars it doesn't deserve the stereotype.

My metric might be a little off. I drove my Mazda 6 for nearly ten years. Drive a Mazda6 back to back with a similar year Camry. The Camry is slow steering and isolated by comparison. I've spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel of a 2005 Camry SE 4cyl. Compared to my Mazda, it was very quiet, very smooth, and not very engaging. The Mazda does everything very precisely. It practically begs to be pushed harder into a corner. The Camry probably generates as much lateral grip as the Mazda but it does not feel the same. In the Camry's favor, the Mazda's eagerness to be pitched into a corner can make it feel "twitchy". My wife often complained, "you just move the steering wheel a little bit and it darts off in that direction."

To be fair, I feel that the 2008+ Malibu is as close as you can get to a Camry without actually getting a Camry. The Sonata I mentioned does that too but does it in a more Asian-car like fashion. In that aspect, the Camry is pretty much the benchmark for the class.

Originally Posted By: Xeno
Yes. Nissan has practically perfected the 2.5 engine. It has a great powerband, and gets amazing hwy mpg.

Most would disagree with you. QR isn't in the same ballpark as Honda's K series engines. The QR is hit or miss with durability. As I said it has a very short rod to stroke ratio making high reversal rates, high piston speeds and subsequent ring problems and durability. I believe they have worked through the problems. The engines are pretty fuel efficient ..but I'll take the Honda engine every time.

I've been hanging with Mazdas since 2005 and haven't had a bad one yet. Lucky maybe? Everyone one of them has been driver orientated cars, and the Speed 3s are really a blast - lots of personality for sure!

If Mazda continues to build fun driving cars I will continue to buy them - they are such a small company compared to the rest and I've got a soft spot for the underdog....

I was surfing Jeff Haas Mazdas' website the other day and he had several manual trans 3s and 6s in stock. With BMW and others all but abandoning the manual trans, it thrills me seeing Mazda staying true to the faith... And don't think manuals don't sell; I regularly check JHM inventory and the sticks don't hang around for long.

Mazda complaints here in the North East are, ROAD NOISE & premature RUST! Like rust starting in 3 years!
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: double vanos
I've been hanging with Mazdas since 2005 and haven't had a bad one yet. Lucky maybe? Everyone one of them has been driver orientated cars, and the Speed 3s are really a blast - lots of personality for sure!

If Mazda continues to build fun driving cars I will continue to buy them - they are such a small company compared to the rest and I've got a soft spot for the underdog....

I was surfing Jeff Haas Mazdas' website the other day and he had several manual trans 3s and 6s in stock. With BMW and others all but abandoning the manual trans, it thrills me seeing Mazda staying true to the faith... And don't think manuals don't sell; I regularly check JHM inventory and the sticks don't hang around for long.

The salesman that I bought my Cruze from stated that the parent company for his dealership did NOT want any manual transmission cars in their inventory.
It was good for about $3000 less than a CPO Cruze LT

Mazda complaints here in the North East are, ROAD NOISE & premature RUST! Like rust starting in 3 years!
frown.gif

I don't understand how a car made in the SAME factory as the Mustang would be any more rust prone than the Mustang. Did the bean counters actually allow different grades of steel to be shipped?

My metric might be a little off. I drove my Mazda 6 for nearly ten years. Drive a Mazda6 back to back with a similar year Camry. The Camry is slow steering and isolated by comparison. I've spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel of a 2005 Camry SE 4cyl. Compared to my Mazda, it was very quiet, very smooth, and not very engaging. The Mazda does everything very precisely. It practically begs to be pushed harder into a corner. The Camry probably generates as much lateral grip as the Mazda but it does not feel the same. In the Camry's favor, the Mazda's eagerness to be pitched into a corner can make it feel "twitchy". My wife often complained, "you just move the steering wheel a little bit and it darts off in that direction."

To be fair, I feel that the 2008+ Malibu is as close as you can get to a Camry without actually getting a Camry. The Sonata I mentioned does that too but does it in a more Asian-car like fashion. In that aspect, the Camry is pretty much the benchmark for the class.

Mazda is kind of the exception though, because they seem to put extra effort into making their cars more fun to drive than the competition. Compared to the other mid-sizers though, I don't feel the Camry is particularly bland to drive (right now, as opposed to 10 to 15 years ago). If anything I think that maybe the stereotype has developed because it has been such a high selling car that's more or less come to represent the entire segment.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure that the SE model Camry for the 5th generation was just an appearance package. Starting at the 6th gen the SE model got some suspension and chassis upgrades over the other models.

With back-to-back test drive experience I can say that there is a difference between the 6th gen SE model and the non-SE models. I was actually pretty entertained by the 2009 V-6 SE I test drove; it made the right noises, and cornered better than you'd think a Camry should. I'd still rather have a Mazda 6, but the 6-cyl SE was my top pick in the segment if I wanted the bigger engine, even compared to the Accord.

Jack Baruth has also written a few articles on TTAC where he's taken 7th gen 4-cyl SE rentals to track days and has gone against the grain regarding how the car handles in such an environment, as in he was surprised that it was pretty decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back