Learning to fly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I owned a Mooney M20F and then a C182. Instrument and Commercial rated. I loved flying and studied everything I could get my hands on. I used the planes for business but found there wasn't enough time to grow my business and be at my best on instruments. I became wary of single engine aircraft safety after my instructor crashed his student's Piper Saratoga on an approach at Ithaca NY in 1991. Ice and snow exceeded the plane and pilot's capabilities. My instructor, his student, his daughter and her college roommate all lost their lives. I sold my C182 a week later, much to my wife's relief.

I retired from business in 2013 with 1,937,000 base miles on Delta. I'll be forever grateful for the expertise and professionalism of the Delta and Northwest cockpit and cabin crews. And I really enjoyed all the red wine they served me in first class!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Jorton, that's quite a night!

I think we've all had some rough ones...but diverting all the airplanes is rare...

Until you've spent some time on Vulture's Row, or on the LSO Platform (where I spent eight years), it's hard to describe how loud, how close, how fast, and how dramatic carrier landings really are....

Or how dark the ocean can be on a rainy night...

"how loud"

I used ear plugs and mickey mouse ears!

The Prowler dragged his tail hook in a shower of sparks almost the full length of the angle deck, but he was angled a little right. As soon as he cleared the round down he rolled left, raising his right wing enough to clear the aircraft that were chained down over #3 cat!

You know, in life you have memorable moments that you'll never forget. I have lots from my days on the USS Nimitz.

Astro14. Would you say you are a daredevil? Did you every fly in those airshows at sea for dignitarys from foreign countries? Like the airshow that the air wing puts on for the dependents day cruise? You guys(y'all) are CRAZY.

Crazy Good.

I am sorry for hi-jacking.

Last edited:
Daredevil is an interesting word...

I don't think of my self as one, but I ski, and have skied the steepest slopes I could find in Colorado, California, and the Northeast.

I raced whitewater slalom, and have paddled whitewater in California, British Columbia, Washington, Colorado, Utah, and the Northeast, including rivers like the Colorado, the New River (W.V.), the Gauley, the Kennebec, the Dead, it's dozens, but you get the idea...

I bought my first motorcycle when I was 13, with my own money earned from mowing lawns. I had a motocross bike by the time I was 15. My yearbook picture was taken by a friend as I jumped over him.

Then I flew fighters in the Navy. I've done some airshows (designed one, too...for our Airwing as we visited Ireland), I've been over 500 KTS in the break hundreds of times, and I've been supersonic, at night, at 100 feet, over one of our destroyers.

But I don't think of myself as a daredevil...

Well guys, I used to fly the little Cessna 150. VFR rated. I enjoyed it, but when I bought my house in 1997 it diverted my cash flow and I haven't flown since.

Great stories from you guys! Some of the planes you've flown and the stressful conditions. You have my utmost respect! And I thought I had some stressful episodes...they don't even compare.

However there was the time I almost killed my engine at night practicing stalls. I recall getting lost on my first cross country, and flying back at night praying to God that I wouldn't encroach on O'Hare airspace. Then there was the time my engine stopped on a touch and go with my instructor with me. We pulled off the onto a taxiway 1/2 way down the runway. After starting it again, my instructor said let's take off. I thought about it and told him I think it would be a lot smarter to go back to the beginning of the runway so that if the engine quit again we would have the rest of the runway to land on. He said "good idea"
smile.gif
and at that point I thought maybe he wasn't the brightest bulb in the house
smile.gif

Last edited:
I started flying casually in 2002 when I was 14. I had loved planes for a while and volunteered at a small aviation museum in town. I was helping out at an event one day and one of the cfi's from the fbo there offered to take me for a couple laps around the pattern in his taylorcraft. Once we had taken off he gave me the controls and I had the time of my life. I talked to him after and i found out I could start learning regardless of my age, it would just be a while before I could get my license. So the next day my dad and i went down to the now closed evergreen airpark and rented a plane and instructor. I mowed lawns and did anything I could to earn money at that age to fuel my interest in flight. Once I got close to my 16th birthday, I started flying more frequently so I could solo on my birthday. After I went to the dmv for my drivers license, I went straight to the airport so I could complete my second goal of the day. A year later I had my license and flew my dad to an aviation museum we both enjoyed an hour or so away.
I went off to college shortly after to a school with a flight program to continue what I had started. I got my instrument rating and nearly finished my commercial license before I was grounded after failing my medical. It was fun while it lasted and i wish I could at least keep flying as a hobby, but the inability to get a medical puts that out of reach.

slowdime - I'm so sorry to hear about the medical.

Any chance you've got a buddy who can go dual? He rents, you both fly somewhere...

My wife has let all her stuff lapse, but she had a private pilot license, and would be happy to get her medical, once we finish paying for the kids in college, that is...

Last edited:
slowdime - I'm so sorry to hear about the medical.

Any chance you've got a buddy who can go dual? He rents, you both fly somewhere...

My wife has let all her stuff lapse, but she had a private pilot license, and would be happy to get her medical, once we finish paying for the kids in college, that is...

None that are close by unfortunately. I haven't been current for while now. Also lost my logbook during a move a while back; I've thought about rebuilding it with the FAA 8710 to at least get me through my instrument, then I could probably get old invoices faxed from the school for all the commercial training hours. I may be able to get my medical reinstated as the health problem that kept me from getting it has been addressed, but the cost barrier to get current again would be steep. I had an instructor years ago who taught at an fbo, she may be willing to help get me current at a reasonable rate since I knew her well outside of the fbo. She also had a friend with a Pitts, we'd go out and bomb around in that thing on the weekends, good times.

Last edited:
Now you're talking!

My buddy owns a Cirrus SR-22. Nice airplane. I pay for 1/2 the gas, and he's up for flying...such a deal! A 14 hour drive from VB to northern VT, through NYC and the Northeast traffic is turned into a pleasant flight of under three hours....

It's one of the many incentives to finish school so I can hopefully go get a decent job that would allow me to get back to flying. I've thought about going out for a couple flights with an instructor just to relive some fun times. It isn't too outrageous at $75/hr for a C150, it would just have to be a once in a while thing.

While I don't fly (actually one of my least favorite things to do), it was a passion of my youngest son since he saw his first airplane. When he was old enough, we paid for his private pilots training and eventually he got his license. I believe it was a Cessna 172 that he trained in.

Fast forward a few years and he entered the USAF as a pilot trainee. He ranked second in his basic pilot training graduating class, and during his track select, had his choice of any plane that was then in the USAF. He had back-seated an F-15 with a Colonel, who sponsored him, several times and I thought that was the route he was going to take. He surprised us all by selecting the C-17 instead. When I asked him why he said he just felt the experience flying the heavier plane would enhance his ability to land a position with an airline once he got out. BTW, he absolutely loves the C-17. He is getting a little frustrated with the direction the military is taking and plans on getting out at twelve years of service instead of staying in for twenty. As a father I was hoping he'd make his twenty, get his retirement, and still have a nice career as a private/commercial pilot. There's always hope I guess.

Thanks Astro, and all the others, for your service. May God bless you all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
While I don't fly (actually one of my least favorite things to do), it was a passion of my youngest son since he saw his first airplane. When he was old enough, we paid for his private pilots training and eventually he got his license. I believe it was a Cessna 172 that he trained in.

Fast forward a few years and he entered the USAF as a pilot trainee. He ranked second in his basic pilot training graduating class, and during his track select, had his choice of any plane that was then in the USAF. He had back-seated an F-15 with a Colonel, who sponsored him, several times and I thought that was the route he was going to take. He surprised us all by selecting the C-17 instead. When I asked him why he said he just felt the experience flying the heavier plane would enhance his ability to land a position with an airline once he got out. BTW, he absolutely loves the C-17. He is getting a little frustrated with the direction the military is taking and plans on getting out at twelve years of service instead of staying in for twenty. As a father I was hoping he'd make his twenty, get his retirement, and still have a nice career as a private/commercial pilot. There's always hope I guess.

Thank You!

I appreciate it.

Your son has made his choice, I would have liked to speak with him prior to it. The airlines "weight" time in their application process and fighter time is viewed differently than heavy time.

The C-17 is a great airplane, that's not my point, but he could have flown anything and gone to the airlines, if that was his goal.

If he's looking for the airline gig, there are two critical points:

1. get out and start as soon as possible.*
2. stay in the Reserve.**

* I waited 5 months to start at UAL. That cost me 500 places on the seniority list. Those who were 500 numbers senior to me flew the 767 when I was on the A-320 for several years. When the lists got merged, 500 guys from CAL were added to the list between me and that May, 1997 class. So, were I to have started even 5 months sooner, I would be 1,000 seniority numbers higher in a company of 12,000 pilots, which would make a huge difference in pay, airplanes, and position. I would be a captain easily, and I will have to wait about 3 more years to move up 1,000 seniority numbers. Each of those years (and I've been here for over 17 years now), I would have been paid tens of thousands more. Those are big numbers over a 35 year career.

** The reserve will pay an O-4 (which he will be when he gets out) a little more than the airline. But that's not the point. He has over 4,000 points accrued towards a reserve pension. Even if he does the minimum, and doesn't make O-5, he will retire from the reserve with about 5,000 points, and that will give him a nice pension when he turns 60. This is a hard point for young men to consider, but here's the math. That pension, in today's dollars, is worth about $2,500/month. Not much, you say? Well, you would have to put about $750,000 into a 401(k) to deliver that monthly income. If he does more than the minimum, the amount goes way up. It's based on points and final paygrade. Consider what an O-6 (two promotions) with 7,200 points (another several years of active equivalent service, but reachable) gets, again in today's dollars, over $6,000/month. You would have to have about $1.8 million in your 401(k) to produce that income...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier
I retired from business in 2013 with 1,937,000 base miles on Delta. I'll be forever grateful for the expertise and professionalism of the Delta and Northwest cockpit and cabin crews. And I really enjoyed all the red wine they served me in first class!

On behalf of the pilots and flight attendants of both Delta and Northwest, please let me say THANK YOU for your years of patronage of these two great airlines! I can assure you that we enjoyed giving you "the business" over the years, as well.
laugh.gif

D4D

Originally Posted By: Sierra048

Thank You!

I appreciate it.

Your son has made his choice, I would have liked to speak with him prior to it. The airlines "weight" time in their application process and fighter time is viewed differently than heavy time.

The C-17 is a great airplane, that's not my point, but he could have flown anything and gone to the airlines, if that was his goal.

If he's looking for the airline gig, there are two critical points:

1. get out and start as soon as possible.*
2. stay in the Reserve.**

* I waited 5 months to start at UAL. That cost me 500 places on the seniority list. Those who were 500 numbers senior to me flew the 767 when I was on the A-320 for several years. When the lists got merged, 500 guys from CAL were added to the list between me and that May, 1997 class. So, were I to have started even 5 months sooner, I would be 1,000 seniority numbers higher in a company of 12,000 pilots, which would make a huge difference in pay, airplanes, and position. I would be a captain easily, and I will have to wait about 3 more years to move up 1,000 seniority numbers. Each of those years (and I've been here for over 17 years now), I would have been paid tens of thousands more. Those are big numbers over a 35 year career.

** The reserve will pay an O-4 (which he will be when he gets out) a little more than the airline. But that's not the point. He has over 4,000 points accrued towards a reserve pension. Even if he does the minimum, and doesn't make O-5, he will retire from the reserve with about 5,000 points, and that will give him a nice pension when he turns 60. This is a hard point for young men to consider, but here's the math. That pension, in today's dollars, is worth about $2,500/month. Not much, you say? Well, you would have to put about $750,000 into a 401(k) to deliver that monthly income. If he does more than the minimum, the amount goes way up. It's based on points and final paygrade. Consider what an O-6 (two promotions) with 7,200 points (another several years of active equivalent service, but reachable) gets, again in today's dollars, over $6,000/month. You would have to have about $1.8 million in your 401(k) to produce that income...

Thanks for the info Astro. We spent a week with him, DIL and grand daughter last week and we talked at length. Assuming something doesn't change his mind to stay a full 20 yrs, he said he will be definitely be taking the Reserve route. He is a sharp guy and he will ultimately make the right decision. I have no doubt.

Superb advice above from Astro14...as always. While the C-17 is an amazing platform and it provides great airline preparatory training, "heavy time" and "fighter/trainer time" are viewed differently by the airlines. They both have their advantages. They both have real world differences in their experiences, particularly with today's generation of USAF/ANG/AFRES pilots, who have known nearly 13 + years of deployments, combat tours, etc.

Further, to echo Astro's comments:

1. Have your son pursue a Guard/Reserve job AFTER he gets established in an airline job first. I knew that I wanted to pursue a Guard job but I waited nearly four years due to moving around in my airline job. I then got to a point where I could drive to both my airline and Guard job, which is really rare, since most pilots commute to one or both flying jobs.

2. To the best of his ability, especially with about 12 years of USAF active duty service already accrued, stay in the Guard/Reserves to complete the basic retirement qualification period. I did not, and that has been something I wish that I had done. For a myriad of reasons: the Guard jet was my third/fourth concurrent airplane (at NWA, some of us junior guys were forced to maintain double-triple currencies, my unit was converting from OA-37's to OA-10's; my Staff job transferred to a new Guard unit out of state, single Dad with joint custody up to 21 days a month, tremendously rapid advancement in seat/pay positions in airline, etc. Had I stayed in the unit, even non-flying, I would have been in a perfect position for the 15 year retirements offered in the mid 1990's. I did not see that coming down the pike. Today, at age 60 in retirement, that extra $2,500 a month would be icing on the cake but the opportunity cost was too high at that point. Luckily, the First National Bank of Dad, now only receives DEPOSITS, not WITHDRAWALS, from my three college educated, adult children. That certainly helps the cash flow to support my current hobbies...

In the grand scheme of things, military flying time of any variety, will be highly sought after in the next few years. I strongly believe that pilots leaving the military will be in very high demand as airline pilot retirements surge in the next few years and airline travel worldwide increases demands for jet drivers to fill those newly acquired aircraft cockpits.

I would gladly have given your son my airline seat when I took early retirement a few years ago. In fact, it would have been an honor. You obviously did a great job of preparing him for life.

D4D

Originally Posted By: d4d
Superb advice above from Astro14...as always. While the C-17 is an amazing platform and it provides great airline preparatory training, "heavy time" and "fighter/trainer time" are viewed differently by the airlines. They both have their advantages. They both have real world differences in their experiences, particularly with today's generation of USAF/ANG/AFRES pilots, who have known nearly 13 + years of deployments, combat tours, etc.

Further, to echo Astro's comments:

1. Have your son pursue a Guard/Reserve job AFTER he gets established in an airline job first. I knew that I wanted to pursue a Guard job but I waited nearly four years due to moving around in my airline job. I then got to a point where I could drive to both my airline and Guard job, which is really rare, since most pilots commute to one or both flying jobs.

2. To the best of his ability, especially with about 12 years of USAF active duty service already accrued, stay in the Guard/Reserves to complete the basic retirement qualification period. I did not, and that has been something I wish that I had done. For a myriad of reasons: the Guard jet was my third/fourth concurrent airplane (at NWA, some of us junior guys were forced to maintain double-triple currencies, my unit was converting from OA-37's to OA-10's; my Staff job transferred to a new Guard unit out of state, single Dad with joint custody up to 21 days a month, tremendously rapid advancement in seat/pay positions in airline, etc. Had I stayed in the unit, even non-flying, I would have been in a perfect position for the 15 year retirements offered in the mid 1990's. I did not see that coming down the pike. Today, at age 60 in retirement, that extra $2,500 a month would be icing on the cake but the opportunity cost was too high at that point. Luckily, the First National Bank of Dad, now only receives DEPOSITS, not WITHDRAWALS, from my three college educated, adult children. That certainly helps the cash flow to support my current hobbies...

In the grand scheme of things, military flying time of any variety, will be highly sought after in the next few years. I strongly believe that pilots leaving the military will be in very high demand as airline pilot retirements surge in the next few years and airline travel worldwide increases demands for jet drivers to fill those newly acquired aircraft cockpits.

I would gladly have given your son my airline seat when I took early retirement a few years ago. In fact, it would have been an honor. You obviously did a great job of preparing him for life.

D4D

You sir are too kind. I hope my son is surrounded by pilots half as gracious as you. I don't take any credit for where either of my sons are. They both worked their backsides off to get where they are today. I was pretty much nothing more than a sounding board for their hopes, and concerns, and I tried to add some logic when I could. I hope your feelings about the need for pilots in the future are spot on. I know he would be one happy camper. He'd rather fly than eat.

Sierra048, Regardless of what your son flies in the Air Force, if the airlines are hiring then, it will get him in the front door. Once he's got the interview, who he is will get him the job.

Well, I did the whole Delta Connection Academy deal. It was a very interesting and fun trip. VERY DAM expensive, it almost ruined my credit when I was in the regionals. This was the day before the Cirrus aircraft. I flew some pretty high time C172's although I can say mx was very good. I had a wrist pin seize and grenade the number 3 barrel on short final at SFB 11:30 at night returning from my commercial solo cross country. If the C172 had a CVR it would have been filled with the most interesting variations of the F word ever. I made a safe landing regardless. I would not recommend that place to anyone. I did get my ratings up to CFII in less than 350 hours. I did quite a bit of aerobatics in an Extra 300. So much fun!!

I did all I could to get hours and get out of there. Finally got 1500 hours and my ATP and applied to Air Wisconsin. That was another fun and interesting journey. Moved back in with my parents to help pay for my ridiculous student loan. Flying the giant ADI mean CRJ was fun. I tried not letting the long days and low amounts of sleep get to me. I made the best of the situation. I learned how to crop dust during this time, perk of that new CPL license I suppose. Gain more turbine, PIC and total time doing that too. Time there was pretty uneventful compared to my DCA days. I did about 5 years there and racked up enough time for apply to a 'major.' That interview process made me nervous! It turned out to be pretty laid back, that was probably just SWA though.

It's been a pretty awesome experience, I wish I would have went military though. This was VERY expensive, although it's about almost half paid for... only $25k left!
hooked.gif
I haven't flown many interesting planes but I'm very happy where I am.

My last CRJ I flew.
170279_1742938089046_2161297_o.jpg

The first 737 I flew.
547223_3793120182317_1122734120_n.jpg

When I was there it was running average $95k. I heard after I left there was corruption in the upper management. Thought it was funny they drove high end Porsche and Mercedes's. Speaking of high end, the gentleman that did my commercial and multi engine check rides is a former Iranian fighter pilot. Talk about sweating bullets. I'm sure Delta sold that place for a reason. I'm sure tuition is much higher now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back