Flashing high beams at other drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this happening the other day in a rain storm out on the highway. This is one of my greatest pet peeves when driving and is the hallmark of a d-bag driver. The driver comes up speeding behind you and aggressively flashes their brights to scare you into getting out of their way. Seen this happen in lanes besides the left lane as well. It doesn't only happen if the guy in front is going a little slow; the d-bag uses it as a way to clear out the lane for himself because he is too important to have to change lanes and go around. I've also seen some drivers overtake other cars, come back in front of them and turn on their hazards/turn signal as a message that the other driver was going too "slow."

End rant.

Last edited:
Its never happened to me in the right lane. In 43 years of driving. Its happened in the left lane if I was not passing a car fast enough for someone though

This situation can easily be the result of D Bag(s) x2! One is in the left lane when they belong in a slower lane; the other is just to aggressive.

A lot of times I am well over the posted speed limit; but if I'm in the left lane doing 85 or more, and another comes up on me, I move over and let him go. No harm to me, and he is free to go as fast as he wants. Courtesy on the road is all its about....and that is a 2 way street.

You just gave me a flashback of the first time I drove on Interstate 10 and what I noticed a lot of pickup truck drivers doing when you're driving the speed limit (or even a little bit over) and you break their 100mph stride.

I usually just get out of the way and let them go. Even if the chances are small, that person may have a genuine emergency that they're dealing with.

So you're blocking the left lane. To quote George Carlin, everyone slower than you's an idiot, everyone faster is a maniac. And you're perfect.

Actually its taught to use high beams to tell drivers to move over instead of the horn.

If people are passing you on the right then you are in the wrong, and its against the law in most states.

Move over and it will give you more time to think about those darn kids on your lawn.

This is the problem in America, too many bad drivers. If they're flashing their lights, it means you're going too slow so you should move over. There's a reason it's called flash to pass, but that's mainly for passing on 2 lane roads.

Driving in Germany is amazing compared to the US, you don't even need to flash anyone, all you do is come flying up on someone and they just move right over. They pay attention to the roads unlike here where people feel entitled to hog the left lane. Basic rule is to keep right unless passing. Doesn't matter if you're already going a little over the speed limit.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
This situation can easily be the result of D Bag(s) x2! One is in the left lane when they belong in a slower lane; the other is just to aggressive.

Agreed. If you're a left lane hogger, you get what you deserve.

I make a distinction between an empty road in front of the car being flashed and a passing lane FULL of cars allowing "Mr. Flasher" to move up only one car length at a time, and force some poor soul to try to change lanes in heavy traffic. I believe in "keep right, keep moving" though, and I don't mind having a rabbit out front to get the ticket which won't be given to me.
Car & Driver used to call the dazed and confused in the passing lane types "left lane bandits" ... the "true" bandit is the crank who drives there "to keep people from speeding" They wouldn't last a hour on the Autobahn.

No, MCLASSER that's proper signaling if there is a SLOW dawdling driver in the passing or middle lane. Too many S-L-O-W, inattentive morons on the road who think they own the road. If you cant go 110 -120 KPH on the interstate, then stay off it! This is 2015 not 1953.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
If people are passing you on the right then you are in the wrong,

This.

Slow traffic is supposed to keep right!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
So you're blocking the left lane. To quote George Carlin, everyone slower than you's an idiot, everyone faster is a maniac. And you're perfect.

He also said something about having "four .50 caliber machine-guns mounted" in the hood
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: BubbaFL
Originally Posted By: Jimzz
If people are passing you on the right then you are in the wrong,

This.

Slow traffic is supposed to keep right!

Stay right except to pass is the law in my state.

People drive right by that sign on the interstate every day without reading it though.

Folks camping in the left lane(s) should get a ticket every time.

I think in all this judgmentalist conversation we should make the distinction between a freeway that has two lanes going in either direction, and a highway with two lanes going in either direction, but has cross traffic (as opposed to exits).

People get off the freeway and seem to expect that the same rules apply to the left lane, when they don't.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
...I believe in "keep right, keep moving" though, and I don't mind having a rabbit out front to get the ticket which won't be given to me.
..."left lane bandits" ... the "true" bandit is the crank who drives there "to keep people from speeding" They wouldn't last a hour on the Autobahn.

Exactly on the first point, and I was under the impression that driving slow in the left lane is strictly verboten over there as is any very aggressive driving. I believe the fines are rather large for coasting in the passing lane...

Originally Posted By: Mykl
People get off the freeway and seem to expect that the same rules apply to the left lane, when they don't.

Oh, they certainly do. Not sure why you think otherwise.

I flash my high beams for exactly two reasons, neither of which was covered in this thread:

1. To signal to an oncoming driver they have their high beams on and are blinding oncoming traffic.
2. To signal to oncoming drivers there may be revenue generation zones ahead.

Camping out in the left lane and not allowing faster drivers to pass is indeed d-bag behavior, as is running up full bore behind someone and flashing your brights.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: Mykl

Oh, they certainly do. Not sure why you think otherwise.

Except when they don't, like when you're preparing to make a left hand turn or a U-turn, or when traffic is bad and you're trying to get as close to the light that's got you stopped as possible so you don't have to wait multiple cycles to get through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back