Brake fluid for '11 Buick Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is 4 years old or a little more, and probably overdue for a brake fluid change. I'm going to take it to my regular mechanic on Wednesday. Would it be worth my while to purchase the fluid in advance? I don't have the manual with me right now -- what DOT number brake fluid should the Regal take?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
DOT 3 or 4. I am sure your mechanic has the correct fluid!

I'm sure he would -- he's up on all the latest tech. Thanks.

You would probably save a little by providing it yourself, but some service shops don't like that because it reduces their profit. DOT 3 should be fine; you can buy a quart of Prestone DOT 3 at Walmart really cheap, and let the shop keep any fluid they don't use.

Brake fluid makers suggest not letting the stuff hang around once the seal is broken, but shops usually go through it quickly.

Usually GM cars have a warning on the brake fluid reservoir cap. It would say which kind of DOT fluid is needed.

Also, the owner's manual would mention the fluid type somewhere. Other times it says use "Delco supreme" which can be replaced with DOT3. Delco Supreme tends to degrade more quickly than a name brand DOT3.

imkx93.jpg

Update, all,

Brake fluid was "crystal clear," to quote my mechanic, and the front brake pads look almost new -- this at 55K miles. The previous owner must have had those things done before I bought the car in January '14. He says I might need rear brake pads in about 6 months. So, no worries for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back