Rounded bolt removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys recommend for removing a rounded drain plug bolt?

For example, Irwin has their special socket set, but of course.. no 17mm.
smile.gif

Although, I haven't ever had to do this particularly on a drain pan bolt. But, I use the next socket size down, and tap it on the head of the bolt until it seats(being careful with the drain pan bolt, not to crease the pan itself). Then, remove it that way. As long as you don't mind possibly ruining the socket and having to buy another!

I would try the pipe wrench first. You can also weld a nut to the end, then its easy to remove.

I couldn't even get to it with a pipe wrench.

Would welding a nut be an issue if the pan is aluminum?

I don't mind sacrificing sockets either. I have also considered JB welding a socket to it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I don't mind sacrificing sockets either. I have also considered JB welding a socket to it.

The drain plug is steel. No, there is no problem welding a nut to the plug. Go to a muffler shop and have them weld it.

Do you have a welder? I don't!

For years I refused to own Vice Grips, a certain family member who will go unnamed abused many a fastener therewith, but I bought a couple of them, finally, and they do have their uses. Don't expect to reused anything caressed with one though. Did you try turning the OTHER way first?

Last edited:

smile.gif

Just use the 11/16 it will fit.

That's why it's good to have a few sizes of pipe wrenches. Sometimes the small one is the only one that will fit.

I would also suggest using a pair of vice grips, they've saved me when I broke a head off a bolt. There was barely enough thread sticking out that I could vice grip it out.

Another option could be to use a dremel or angle grinder to put some flats on two opposite sides of the head, then use the pipe wrench or an adjustable wrench to remove.

Vice grips might work for my situation too.

The good news is I know it's not on too tight. Perhaps 30 ft lbs if that. Whatever 3 decent taps with the palm of my hand at the bottom of a wrench would be.

Originally Posted By: Trav

smile.gif

Just use the 11/16 it will fit.

It won't be too big? It's about 17.5mm.

File a new hex head two sizes down - not as hard as you would think. I know this due to the defective 2011 Subaru FB25 china soft pan bung bolt rounding issues.

Otherwise drill for a large E-Z out bit. You know about e-z outs, NO?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
File a new hex head two sizes down - not as hard as you would think.

I have also done this. If an angle grinder will fit, used it. If it won't fit, try a Dremel. Note: a Dremel angle adapter is often handy for things like this.
3319-173Img.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back