53 inch RC helicopter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my father askes me for a RC helicopter for his birthday (he's referring to ones in the mall) about $30. I as usual go above and beyond and look for the largest one I can find on EBAY ! its a QS600 and its about $100 bucks, with two extra battery packs ive got about $150.00 in this thing. So I give it to dad, he loves it, and I scored big in the "good son department" Fast forward a few days after all batterys are charged and its time to test it out ! This thing for a $100 toy is AMAZING !! and my dad are both 13 year old's again in my backyard ((back yard is 5 acres on a lake, country home)) The preflight was great, the small 10 foot in the air test flight was better, Then dad say "see how high it will go" This my friends is where the story takes a turn.. The Helicopter shot straight up in the air about 40 feet without hesitation, I told tad, its pretty high and he says "will it go any higher" so I have it the go and it continued to climb, When the helicopter was easily around 70-80 feet in the air I began to get nervous however it showed no sign of slowing down and continued to climb. By my estimation it was at approximately 100 foot up in the air when it instantly started drifting over my house (this is the part where I instantly felt my stomach drop) I let off the vertical control hoping it would start coming down.. and it did, very fast, it was probably 70 yards away and above the tree's when I lost sight of it.. Just on the other side of the tree line is the lake, I ran just in time to watch the Helicopter go down in the middle of the lake like the Titanic.. Best 3 minutes of RC fun time ive ever had.. and the worst.. Yes, im buying dad another..

Thought you all might get a kick out of this story..

Thanks for sharing. You will cherish these memories forever.

Reminds me of my son's first model rocket launch. We severely underestimated the altitude and the wind. With parachute deployed, it drifted out of sight, probably a half mile or more. Never to be found.

LOL. Our learning curve only cost about $15, though.

Originally Posted By: Donald
There was a guy who recently lost control of his hobby drone. he lived near the White House vs a lake.

think that made the news didn't it ?

ROFLMAO. Having done RC models since I was 13 I can thoroughly enjoy and relate to this story. Had a an 3.5cc outrigger hydro lose control and proceed to run over a duck before winding up in someone's backyard. Which quickly got me banned from running at that lake(buddies house). The duck was ok(amazingly)..

Helicopters are loads of fun, but touch,y particularly if the wind is blowing. Great story.

Cheap RC copters have a stepped throttle,and no "low" speed.Without that,you could have the motor accidentally shutting off and causing that crash.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Cheap RC copters have a stepped throttle,and no "low" speed.Without that,you could have the motor accidentally shutting off and causing that crash.

I wont even act like I know anything about RC helicopters, hower this one was a 3.5 channel and the more "Lift" you gave it the faster the motor would spin, It also had a H & L setting on the remote, We only started out on the L setting and whoooosh, that thing was moving.. I can only imagine the High setting being used.

Reminds me of my dad and I when we launched rockets too. We had one that made a lot of sparks during liftoff and fall apart on its "reentry". Part of it landed 30 feet from us like an arrow while the part with the parachute landed about 200 yards away. That was its last launch. The bottom melted together too.

Cheap lesson though. Nowhere near $150. Lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
So my father askes me for a RC helicopter for his birthday (he's referring to ones in the mall) about $30. I as usual go above and beyond and look for the largest one I can find on EBAY ! its a QS600 and its about $100 bucks, with two extra battery packs ive got about $150.00 in this thing. So I give it to dad, he loves it, and I scored big in the "good son department" Fast forward a few days after all batterys are charged and its time to test it out ! This thing for a $100 toy is AMAZING !! and my dad are both 13 year old's again in my backyard ((back yard is 5 acres on a lake, country home)) The preflight was great, the small 10 foot in the air test flight was better, Then dad say "see how high it will go" This my friends is where the story takes a turn.. The Helicopter shot straight up in the air about 40 feet without hesitation, I told tad, its pretty high and he says "will it go any higher" so I have it the go and it continued to climb, When the helicopter was easily around 70-80 feet in the air I began to get nervous however it showed no sign of slowing down and continued to climb. By my estimation it was at approximately 100 foot up in the air when it instantly started drifting over my house (this is the part where I instantly felt my stomach drop) I let off the vertical control hoping it would start coming down.. and it did, very fast, it was probably 70 yards away and above the tree's when I lost sight of it.. Just on the other side of the tree line is the lake, I ran just in time to watch the Helicopter go down in the middle of the lake like the Titanic.. Best 3 minutes of RC fun time ive ever had.. and the worst.. Yes, im buying dad another..

lol,

I can relate to it,
I bought my 4 year old a styro foam remote control plane,
I took the kit out and carefully assembled it and when she woke up from her nap I showed it to her.
She asked if she can hold it,
I gave it to her and then I heard a snap, she broke the front wing in half, that is even before the maiden flight!

LOL. The abuse I've seen my $20 3-channel helos take at the hands of their enthusiastic but unskilled operators is amazing.

My dad found somebody's crashed drone in the woods once.

I contacted the seller and she took pity on me, she's sending me another Helicopter for $70.00 I think this next go round im taking dad and the new Helicopter out to a empty field..

I made the mistake of learning, or rather trying to learn, to fly helos with a nice 6 channel setup. I got real good at rebuilding and parts replacement. Finally got smart and went to the football field at 6AM a couple times a week to practice. Nice not to have trees to deal with.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
By my estimation it was at approximately 100 foot up in the air when it instantly started drifting over my house (this is the part where I instantly felt my stomach drop) I let off the vertical control hoping it would start coming down.. and it did, very fast, it was probably 70 yards away and above the tree's when I lost sight of it.. Just on the other side of the tree line is the lake, I ran just in time to watch the Helicopter go down in the middle of the lake like the Titanic.. Best 3 minutes of RC fun time ive ever had.. and the worst.. Yes, im buying dad another..

LOL ... dang, might want to take it easy at lower levels for awhile. Yes, RC helicopters are a blast. Was that a 3-channel or 4-channel heli?

Here's a QS8006:
Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back