Need input on home made bypass system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after doing more reading and thinking about it. I think I would like to do a double remote system.

I have nothing against Trasko or Frantz but I want to stay out of the engine bay as long as I can.

A single head with a fleet guard with the internal bypass filter. As well as another remote head for a amsoil 110 so I could leave it on for about 50-60k miles.

So now as I look around I realize I know VERY little about fleet guards. Although everything I've read is positive. So this is a call out to anyone who's knows sizes and dimensions. I am trying to find a trans-dapt ( or really any brand ) single head that has a dual in and out. That would fit a small size fleet guard that has the internal bypass.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

Cool. What are you going to be doing about restriction nozzle? Oh, and maybe consider using the BP90 bypass, unless you have lot's of room for the 110... the 90 is plenty of filter for a Camry engine.

Last edited:
I must question a previous poster about something said. It was mentioned that exposure to full pressure flow in a parallel BF-FF filter setup would cause damage to the media of the bypass filter. Is this quoting a source or from first hand experience or simply an idea for why the orifice restriction is required in that case?

I'm not trying to argue I just can't find anything answering this question online.

Thanks.

Think of hydraulics, or think of two syringes connected to each other with a hose, filled with oil... now apply pressure on the larger syringe, you end up with a pressure drop. Now apply pressure on the small syringe, you end up with an increase in pressure... pressure increase or decrease being a function of relative syringe diameter.

Pushing the oil from the engine pump into the BP filter at what 'would' be normal oil system pressure, but the restriction nozzle hole causes a large pressure drop, and thus a flow rate drop as well.

YOU NEED THIS PRESSURE DROP AND FLOW RATE DECREASE, it is fundamental for the concept of bypass filtration... it's the only way you can attain 2 micron filtration.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alex_L
I must question a previous poster about something said. It was mentioned that exposure to full pressure flow in a parallel BF-FF filter setup would cause damage to the media of the bypass filter. Is this quoting a source or from first hand experience or simply an idea for why the orifice restriction is required in that case?

I'm not trying to argue I just can't find anything answering this question online.

Thanks.

Though it may optimise bypass filter performance and protect the media, isn't the primary (and much more important) reason for the restriction to maintain the oil pressure in the rest of the system?

So, here is the reply I got from amsoil.

"The restrictor is not required in the Dual Remote systems as all of the oil can pass through either filter, and it makes no difference which one it goes through. The single By Pass kit does need the restrictor as if too much oil bypasses the engine, simply passing through the filter and returned tot eh pan, oil starvation could occur.

Byron Selbrede

Technical Services"

So, according to the tech guy at amsoil it is not needed. I will follow up with a further question about filtration effectiveness at different flow rates but so far it seems like a lot of this stuff is opinion and not supported by evidence.

Also, I'm an engineer and I am familiar with hydraulic design and have been trained in hydraulic system analysis so I do understand how this thing works. The only question which remains in my mind is whether the filter is more or less effective at different flow rates.

Last edited:
In a standalone bypass setup, orifice restrictor is needed. It can be before or after the bypass element. Pressure is not an issue.

In the parallel system, orifice is not needed as oil flow is simply split among the filters based on media restriction. The full flow is less restrictive and flows most of the oil.

I agree wrenchturner, however some people still seem to be insisting in this and other threads that the restriction orifice is needed no matter what.

YES! Thank you Alex_l is exactly the question I was aiming to answer! I can't wait to hear your reply about the filtration. So with this I guess I am going to do this. Dual set up with a either a Fram ultra or try to find a decently sized cummins lf filter the one with the venturi and bypass filter built in. ( cause I mean why not at this point let's overkill to no end hah ) and a bp100 should do nicely. I am going to drive about 1000 miles for a business trip at the end of the month. So would like to get this done before then. Want to use am soil 0w40 ss with appropriate amount of lubegard engine protect. Has done wonders for the butt dyno and plan on continued use. (Gotta love sperm whale oil haha ) With this set up would be feasible I would think to easily reach 25k miles before needing a change. Baised on UOA's I will collect of course. Any thoughts to add to this set up?

Alexander;

The flow rate does not affect filtration efficiency in any way. That is why there is no restricting orifice in the Dual Remote system. But the media used in much more restrictive than it is in the full flow filter and the oil will follow the path of least resistance.

Byron Selbrede

Technical Services

HAH wow so if I'm not misunderstanding that statement then I think I've been grossly mistaken about amsoils dual bypass kit. I was under the impression that it had a restriction built in. WELL that explains alot! Wonderfull. Restriction is only from the media. Makes a man wonder if I could run two BP 110 as full flow hahaha. That would be some super filtration. Still probably too restrictive though. Makes you wonder though doesn't it?

I think that would be far too restrictive. One full flow and one BP in parallel will be just fine. Which is good because I've been running exactly like that for 16000 km.

What kind of set up do you have Alex_L?

I'm still thinking the transdapt kit with thread adapters will be fine for me.

I would love to be able to test exactly how restrictive the flow is in a BP filter.

I imagine though that they would clog a lot faster due to how fine it filters compared to a full flow.

Just a question too anyone ever seen a BP cut open? I did a search and turned up naught.

It's one I got off ebay. It is from a seller that lists a bunch for different trucks. Pretty much the cheapest available. Probably not the best way to buy one but what can ya do?

I figure it's basically a function of the ratio of the micron ratings of the different media multiplied by the ratio of the size of the media in the different filters. Of course that wont be 100% right but i bet its [censored] close.

I don't think it would clog any faster due to there only being X amount of contaminants being produced within the engine. But still you need a full flow filter.

Looking at the xg3976a specs that they show on the Fram website. That filter has a 1-16 thread. So that kit comes pre set up with a 3/4-16 on the left and a 1-16 on the right correct? Then you just added the BP filter?

The remote filter unit didn't have the threaded inserts installed, so I could have installed them on either side. Then I just added the EABP-90 that I'm running and went.

Okay, stop.

When you sent Amsoil the email, are you sure he is not talking about the dual remote setup, as in a "Dual Full Flow" remote setup? My Amsoil dual remote CAME WITH a restriction pre-installed.

I think you better shoot another email to Amsoil with EXACT setup details before you move ahead.

First question

I have a technical question about bypass filtration using an EABP90-110 model filter. A restrictor orifice is used in your bypass filter mounts. I have seen it stated that without this there could be serious damage caused to "equipment". Is this because of a possible diversion of flow from the appropriate path possibly starving engine parts of oil or is it because the unrestricted flow would cause a failure of the filter unit (or media within) which would then cause debris to clog or damage critical engine parts? I ask because I have seen bypass filter units with a full flow and bypass filter mounted in parallel which do not have a restrictor on the bypass filters' flow. it seems that these filter rely on the differing resistance to flow to regulate the flow in each filter. Will this result in bypass filter internal damage? please advise because I am trying to figure this out.

Second question

Thank you very much Byron.

I only have one further question to settle a debate on an internet forum.

Does an increased flow rate in the bypass filter element lead to reduced filtration effectiveness? if 1 gpm goes through the filter element instead of 1 lpm would that reduce filtration effectiveness? Is there a maximum flow rate that the bypass filter element can handle?

Thank you for all your help.

Alex Lindsay

Look reasonable zpinch?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back