Best bang for the buck oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Originally Posted By: Gerbils
With the controversy surrounding the Purolators, what do you guys recommend as the best bang for the buck oil filter like the Pureone use to be?

Wix/NAPA Gold

Good choice considering most can be had for less than $5. I bought a case of 12.

http://www.fleetfilter.com/bulk-purchases.html

http://www.fleetfilter.com/mm5/merchant....;Category_Code=

Just need to find your vehicle filter on Wix's look up table.

http://www.wixfilters.com/lookup/filterlookup.aspx

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
It's amazing this tearing issue and crummy quality associated with purolater has really boosted sales for other oil filters.. Im sure purolater is feeling the pinch by now. Hopefully they will wake up and build a good filter at a good price and maybe recover in 5 or so years.. So far it looks grim for them my filter distributor went from selling 80% purolaters to selling Wix and another great Chinese brand which i would buy except they say CHINA
Not listining to the in crowd wannabees helps.

Nah, like people have stated 99.9% of buyers don't frequent this board, and issues tend to cycle through the industry. 3 years ago Fram had a terrible reputation here, and Puralator was worshiped, especially since they could be had at Walmart for a few pence. Many also claimed it was stupid to replace such a quality filter after only one oil change, lol. Now with media issues Puralator is deemed junk, and Fram is worshiped. I'm sure in another couple of years their will be another new found oil filter for the Bob is the oil guy anal retentive to proclaim king, then 2-3 years later, rinse & repeat.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Tough Guard, WIX or NAPA Gold offer best value, since they are trusted when used for my 2nd consecutive OCI (6+6)

Unscrew the used filter after 6K, remove the old oil contents - add more oil to the gasket and reinstall for another 6K.

If you remove it, why not replace it. Once the gasket has been compressed, I wouldn't reuse it, makes no sense to me.

Just crush it back on extra tight.
laugh.gif

If I went through the trouble with removing a filter, I'd just replace it. Mixing the old oil with new isnt an issue either.

My moms Elantra had a small sump that held 4.25 quarts. I occasionally did 2x runs and left the old oil in.. it was still amber colored when I checked it.

i would never change oil and not replace the filter
people can hate all they want , im not gonna change

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Originally Posted By: Gerbils
With the controversy surrounding the Purolators, what do you guys recommend as the best bang for the buck oil filter like the Pureone use to be?

Wix/NAPA Gold

Actually, the OP asked about the best bang for the buck oil filters like the PureONE used to be (filters comparable to PureONE). That's why I answered with Wix/NAPA Gold, which really is not that expensive.

For high quality filters that cost less, I would suggest the following oil filters (not in any specific order):

NAPA Silver (made by Wix)
MicroGard (currently made by Wix)
Hastings
Federated Auto Parts (made by Hastings)

Just some suggestions
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jacky

I always thought the Fram Ultra was to be used with LONG OCI Oil... ** Special Oil **

Most Syns
or mobil 1 extended oci

personally I wouldn't change oil and use a filter with dirty oil in it....

even if you remove it and drain it there is still lots of dirty oil in there.

Originally Posted By: David1

I always thought the Fram Ultra was to be used with LONG OCI Oil... ** Special Oil **

Most Syns
or mobil 1 extended oci

personally I wouldn't change oil and use a filter with dirty oil in it....

even if you remove it and drain it there is still lots of dirty oil in there.

I'm the same way too ... I always use a new oil filter when changing my oil. I know many would disagree and would say that is not necessary, and I am not saying it is wrong to leave a filter on (like a FRAM Ultra) for more than one OCI. It's just my preference to use a new oil filter.

Makes sense to me, filters are cheap. The chances a media tear happens on a used filter probably goes up quite a bit on a 2nd oil change cycle. Saving $5-8 on a filter doesn't seem to be a good call if you're driving around with a media tear for up to a full cycle or a filter in bypass mode.

^^^Running a filter a second, third or even 100th OCI has no direct effect on tearing because the filter has no idea you did an OCI.

Unless you talk to your filter it doesn't know if you changed your oil. Time and miles affect the loading. # of OCI doesn't.

Quote:

I always use a new oil filter when changing my oil. I know many would disagree and would say that is not necessary.....

The only way that would be okay is if OEM called for one filter for two oil change cycles, otherwise stick with the OEM specification. Many of the same people who are calling for two oil cycles per filter were also claiming Puraltor was the best filter not long ago. As with all advice on internet message boards, buyer beware.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Tough Guard, WIX or NAPA Gold offer best value, since they are trusted when used for my 2nd consecutive OCI (6+6)

Unscrew the used filter after 6K, remove the old oil contents - add more oil to the gasket and reinstall for another 6K.

If you remove it, why not replace it. Once the gasket has been compressed, I wouldn't reuse it, makes no sense to me.

No need to replace a filter that's less than half worn / half used.
That's called throwing your money down a sewer.

Besides, the filter blocks better, when partially used. Same with your home furnace filters. It's a waste of money to throw them away prematurely also.

Then there's the environment factor to consider...... landfills......etc. Preserve / reserve our planet, our earth. Don't waste and do not discard needlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back