Use a squeegee to dry a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Michael_P
I have a California water blade which works well. No scratches.

If you missed any grit/dirt though it will scratch the ever loving hades out of the paint. My mom used one on her blazer and had one long scratch evident afterwards. Had to buff it out.

They work...but there is a bunch of risk to go with the reward of convenience.

Bought mine nearly a decade ago back when Microfiber cloths weren't ubiquitous. I must have used it only 3 times after feeling how sticky the blade was against the wet paint. My idea was to use it and a synthetic chamois to dry the car. I knew back even as a very new detailing newbie that it was marring the paint.

I stopped using it after Target began carrying Microfiber drying cloths. The drying cloths are just faster and the California Blade ended up being relegated to window use and sadly now don't use it at all since I use the synthetic chamois to dry windows.

On the other hand, I do enjoy the California duster. I bought that at the same time and 12 years later, still use it.

Last edited:
I like the water blade just to skim off most of the water on the horizontal surfaces and the big windows. I am still stuck on the natural chamois for the final drying. I started using one in 1984. They last for about a decade each and leave windows free of streaks. Someone once told me that they strip wax. I am not believing that since I have never experience any deterioration in the paint finish using one.

But, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
I've been using this Wiper Blade for years. It gets the heavy water off then I finish with a microfiber towel.

Same here.

My 16 year old finish is not white glove, Palm Beach concours/$60 million Ferrari 250GTO, perfect enough to warrant/justify a detailer's air dryer.

Despite the small, fine swirls and scratches/surface imperfections, I STILL get many compliments on the car, especially when people hear the age, mileage, and that it has NEVER been garaged.
wink.gif

I use a squeegee occasionally to dry my van, it works great along with clean soft towels. I wouldn't use it on paint I really care about though.

why? that is the best way to dry the car as it is touch-less drying. your paint finish would last the most if it is touched less often regardless of how it is touched.

You might as well use steel wool to dry the car. That is one terrible idea.

The correct method is to remove the nozzle and flood the paint starting at the top. Most of the water will sheet off, the remainder is removed by dabbing a microfiber towel (or two) on the surfaces.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
why? that is the best way to dry the car as it is touch-less drying.

Yes, no doubt. But the mental image of a guy drying his car with a leaf blower is amusing to me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I am not getting it; how is blow drying is equivalent to steel wool?

Where do you guys get this [censored]? I have used a water blade for years and never put a scratch on a cars paint. It is impossible if you wash the car properly.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I am not getting it; how is blow drying is equivalent to steel wool?

Squeegee not blow dry.

Originally Posted By: DaHen

Why???

Squeegee is meant for glass not paint.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Where do you guys get this [censored]? I have used a water blade for years and never put a scratch on a cars paint. It is impossible if you wash the car properly.

That's what I thought until my car was under fluorescent light at a shop. No scratches but tons of marks/marring all in the same direction as the water blade was used.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I sometimes use a squeegee to get snow off my winter beater, but I would not use a squeegee on a good car.

A squeegee and a California Water Blade are not the same thing.

First time I saw one was about 25 years ago at the Scottsdale Auctions................. on a Ferrari, Rolls, etc. after washing.

On a well maintained and waxed finish, no scratches on my cars.

First the blade, then a blower, then microfiber cloth to completely remove our hard water..

PS: Gov. Brown - I can wash a car with about 4 gallons water total.

Originally Posted By: anonobomber
I wouldn't recommend doing that. I used to and it was impossible to avoid scratching the car using that method to dry it off. Now I use a backpack blower and blast 90% of the water off the car and then finish off with a waffle weave towel.

I do exactly the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back