full fluid replace + Lubegard. Results timeframe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: wife's long-neglected 2002 Volvo V70 XC AWD with the notorious AW55-50 tranny. 136k miles. She drives it so little (we live in a city) so I've never devoted much attention to it. It was new to us two years ago as a stop-gap vehicle after her old car was totaled.

Drained the first 3.5 from the pan, then subsequent 2 quart drains through the cooler line. Flushed through 12 fresh quarts in all (it's a 7.9 quart system) of Mobil 3309, plus 8 ounces of LubeGard red at the end.

The existing fluid was--well, how shall I describe it?--brown mud.

Initial test drive tonight: 20 min to let it come up to temp, checked level, and topped it off. It felt smoother while driving, and was not skipping/slipping between low gears (which has been an issue).

But, still getting the hard, delayed engagement when going from P to D or P to R from a stop, even when at operating temp.

So, my two questions: (1)might this get better over time, or is this a sign of existing damage?

I did not do any chemical flushes (TransTune, etc.) given the age and likely condition. (2) If it survives, should I consider a more aggressive cleaning at the next fluid replacement?

I posted about this vehicle a few weeks back here (thanks to those who replied):
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3656501/reccomend_me_a_tranny_%22fi#Post3656501

I think at this point any additive is a hail Mary pass. The Lubeguard may help clean some dirty valves and soften some rubber seals but it cant fix broke.
IMO its a good product for preventive maintenance but once trouble appears its probably not going to help much if at all.

Give it some time, it might take a few months for the seals to soften. If it doesn't improve get it checked out but be prepared for a rebuild.
When your so deep into the transmission it makes sense to replace all the worn parts at the same time.

13 year old ride with no history of transmission fluid changes and only the mystics know what has been poured in it in previous years,,,,most respectable transmission shops would not touch this car, why?, because the mud and the sludge that are existing in the tranny is really what is making it run now. With all that cleaning that was done now, most likely the tranny will fail in the next 6 months, but time will tell. I only wish you all the best.

Last edited:
Took about 200 miles on the Chevy. Some results were immediate but the full effects took that long. Give it up to 500 miles if it isn't corrected by then probably won't be.

Lubegard can take a few hundred miles to really lube up the solenoids, drive it for a little while and see if you notice a difference.

That is what lubegard told me about their LG Red product.

Only time will tell.

In addition to the above comments, check the fluid every 200 miles or so and see if the fluid is browning any.

You may want to do another fluid change regimen if the fluid turns very dark.

Ive read great things about lubegard however I'm nervous when it comes to transmissions.
Personally I like the drain and fill method. Easy,cheap and never had a problem.
I've seen many a trans fail after adding some kind of additive. The fast cleaning plugs up something and whammo. Game over.
However I don't think lubegard is that type of product.

Lubegard Red took my Montero about 1,000 miles before it was working. It extended my transmission life and added about a year but it was already going and needed to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back