oil pressure or oil thickness...timing chain life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Originally Posted By: Claud
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Long chains are not more subject to wear for a given amount of work. As each link does less work.

I see no logic behind this statement. If you are pulling on a rope you will need the same force to move a given load whatever the length of the rope. A duplex (or triplex or more) chain will reduce the loads on each link.

I take the point that forcing lubrication between the rollers and links is effectively impossible in an automotive engine, however the oil does an important job in removing heat.

Claud.

A longer chain will last longer is some situations. Imagine two sprockets a mile apart and the sprockets are turned 10 revolutions, very little of the chain has come into contact with a sprocket and most of the chain has remained straight without any rotation of the pins. Same sprockets next to each other and turned 10 times, all of the chain has struck the sprockets and the pins have rotated several times.

Doesn't really apply to automotive applications.

The links are only under any meaningful load between the first tooth of the driving sprocket and the last tooth of the driven sprocket.

Claud.

Used motor oil will work good on a chain saw if you add some "Sticky Stuff" to the oil. Mix in a Motor Honey, Rislone, STP or Hyper Lube to keep it on the chain. I hate the idea of giving up my used high dollar syntech to be recycled when I can use it twice. As a general lube for machines and such, Door rollers, tractor turning gears and what have you.

I dated misnomer until mrnomer found out. On a motor cycle white Lithium spray works well and cost less that a "Chain Lube" hold a paper towel behind where you are spraying so U will not mess up your bike. Spray roll forward, repeat.
smile.gif

many new timing chain engines have oil pressure based chain tensioners, so as they stretch, they are still tight and don't effect valve timing.

Not sure which engine you are talking about, but when I think of timing chain related problems, I think of plastic gears and a [censored] chain like OEM GM used back in the day. In that case, I think its more timing set composition rather than oil characteristics. Most people swapped them out for a duel roller chain, and metal sprockets.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory

Additives exist, in the EP and AW categories to help chain lube. Aftermarket chlorinated parrafins, esters of different types, ceramic boron or other nano particles do the job.

Originally Posted By: ISO55000

Sure they do “the job” (which is indefinable) but let me point out that “helping” is a meaningless word and not really applicable because if they cannot access the pins in a 100% fashion the only thing they are “helping” is rust formation.

Under most normal operating conditions, without injected or misted delivery the time coefficient during application until centrifugal and mechanical forces act on the lubricant. All of those additives work great- too bad they never get to the business part of the chain.

By "helping" of course I define that as less wear with the EP/AW additives than white oil. Is lubrication in boundary conditions ever perfect? Of course not. Reducing wear and friction over white oil alone is all we can get.

Your comments about "never get to the business part of the chain" seem odd. Since the 1 micron particles and 1 nanometer polar metal affinitive molecules are small, they can fill the micro-valleys in the metal wearing surfaces of the chains with something like 20 microns of clearance.

It really comes down to what works the best. We could lube all chains with straight mineral oil (no additives) and then compare that to what happens in a normal motor oil which has ZDDP, maybe moly, boron, polymer esters, titanium, etc., and see how much the chain elongates in both cases. All your reasoned arguments are interesting yet proof by results would be nice to see.

Additives exist, in the EP and AW categories to help chain lube. Aftermarket chlorinated parrafins, esters of different types, ceramic boron or other nano particles do the job.

Originally Posted By: ISO55000

Sure they do “the job” (which is indefinable) but let me point out that “helping” is a meaningless word and not really applicable because if they cannot access the pins in a 100% fashion the only thing they are “helping” is rust formation.

Under most normal operating conditions, without injected or misted delivery the time coefficient during application until centrifugal and mechanical forces act on the lubricant. All of those additives work great- too bad they never get to the business part of the chain.

By "helping" of course I define that as less wear with the EP/AW additives than white oil. Is lubrication in boundary conditions ever perfect? Of course not. Reducing wear and friction over white oil alone is all we can get.

Your comments about "never get to the business part of the chain" seem odd. Since the 1 micron particles and 1 nanometer polar metal affinitive molecules are small, they can fill the micro-valleys in the metal wearing surfaces of the chains with something like 20 microns of clearance.

It really comes down to what works the best. We could lube all chains with straight mineral oil (no additives) and then compare that to what happens in a normal motor oil which has ZDDP, maybe moly, boron, polymer esters, titanium, etc., and see how much the chain elongates in both cases. All your reasoned arguments are interesting yet proof by results would be nice to see.

Hi FF

Let me comment a little bit further because as always in a forum there is always a follow on unless one wants a thesis level answer covering every possible contingency that nobody would read.

The use of the word “helping” was responding in kind and quote to another post ( not the word I would have chosen but I do try to use as little technobabble as is possible except when doing an engineering specific presentation)

The reality is (regardless of application) lubrication effectiveness is a triangle. (Thus the term “tribology”) Even if you had 100% extra virgin unicorn gel that was perfect in every way, if the friction and wear components are not addressed equally the lubricant cannot deliver the maximum effectiveness and premature or unacceptable wear leading to failure will occur.

People who are not in this business professionally (not just the lubrication engineering on the front end but the failure analysis on the back end) don’t see the whole story.

I doubt this has ever or will ever be done on a car engine simply because of cost but in my world when you have a 100k chain change out with associated DT @ 20k per hour for 8-10 hours and probably 20 of these a year- the client WILL demand an engineered evaluation of the failure and then demand a corrective action that WORKS.

As the 3rd party doing this, the “proof by results” you reference is something I not only have to guarantee but then produce or my performance bond is in jeopardy. Under those conditions with the risks involved, I cannot afford to listen to anecdotal information, wild eyed manufacturer’s claims, blame casting, opinions or anything else. I have to investigate every little detail, consult with peers and other relative professionals, apply the proper technology and then prove not only my findings but the corrective actions.

(Every time I present a finding there is always going to be someone/thing at fault and cost big money and then the bayonets come out even to the point of being “unprofessional” but that’s just a normal part of doing business in this field. You get used to it but it forces us to stick to the basics, take nothing for granted, make every scenario “zero based” so the evidence builds the case individually on the incident specifics then triple check the answers.)

On this ( not sharp shooting you but this is something I encounter frequently and have to dispel for many clients because they were “beguiled” by the oil vendors long before I got there and I have to start from the bottom and prove my way up)

Sounds good on the surface but the operative word there is “can” (not will). This goes back to that triangle of tribology and then all the forces acting against the liquid in operation (fluid dynamics).

Yes if you take said chain and dropped it in the pail of oil and left it a while, everything you said will happen for the reasons you state.

Now let’s add 200 RPM and load- this not only centrifugally creates forces that want to sling a liquid away it creates overpressure zones due to turbulence that a static body of lubricant may not be able to overcome (force always takes the path of least resistance) then even when it gets there if the film strength is not superior to the contacting forces then it is inadequate for proper protection. There are many other forces acting against that lubricant as well but you get the idea.

Use this simple test to illustrate that: take a piece of paper towel and grip it in your palm and make a fist. Stick that in a sink for 2-3 seconds. Remove it and look at the difference between the ends versus what’s in your closed hand. That’s a very close approximation of just one of the affecting factors that has to be overcome.

What that basically affirms is that (in my experience) well over 90% of (alleged) lubrication failures have little to nothing to do with the lubricant proper but with everything else affecting the lubrication or otherwise working against it. When I factor out the human stuff (not following recommended guidelines, improper maintenance and all the non-lubrication failure stuff) the overwhelming majority of failures come from forces acting against the lubrication thus prohibiting it from doing what it needs to do. This is why I design a lot of oil mist and direct injection systems for retrofits and the results speak for themselves.

Lastly

All your reasoned arguments are interesting yet proof by results would be nice to see.

A lot of my stuff is protected as IP or under confidentiality or turned over to the client with us not allowed to retain but I have tons of stuff that can be sterilized. What would you like and I’ll see if I can’t whip something up? I have no problem backing up what I say because I have to do it as part of the job anyway and I’m always playing to a hostile crowd. (Except when I expressly state it as an opinion because I don’t promote, defend or argue thoughts or preferences, just facts I can prove)

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Thanks ISO55000 for the explanation.
I know that in the motorcycle world and their o-ring sealed chains, there are literally thousands of chain lubricating products, all claiming to do all sorts of wonderful things, but I also know that there are plenty of guys that get very good chain life by simply keeping the chains clean and rust free with something like WD40.
Your explanation pretty much confirms that all those "speciality" chain lubes are nothing but snake oil.

Hi KrisZ

That may not be entirely correct. (I have to maintain vendor/product neutrality except in rare cases where certain parameters must be met)

It really depends on how you define snake oil. Believe me, I get this a lot because one of the first hurdles I always seem to face is being pitted against all these “miracle claims” and then being the bad guy by injecting scientific reality and cold hard data into the delusion. This seldom ends well.

Let me give you my definition of snake oil so when I use the term there won’t be any misunderstanding because there is no standard definition but it may color my comments. The reason I have to do it this way is because the law makes this distinction and I have had to address both in my career in litigation and they have a totally different set of rules and standards of proof.

To me a product is snake oil when it will not or cannot perform its claims to its standards when used according to directions in a proper application. (In short- they are lying out of the gate)

That’s a clear distinction between a legitimate product that contains misleading “weasel words” usually coming from a legally vetted marketing plan. (New and improved, contains super ingredient “X” or any variation on those themes) Whether we like it, agree with it or not- this “misleading” advertising methodology is the standard on this Earth in every category so it really is caveat emptor.

4 things I have learned to look for

1) Do the claims actually address the actual usage parameters- if that doesn’t match it’s hard to blame just the product for failing

2) Misleading words or allusions- the serpent beguiles by saying something one way (usually with legal advice) but phrasing it and presenting it in a deliberately misrepresented fashion to make you jump to an incorrect interpretation

3) Only showing one side of a case (selective emphasis or omission) - Make sure you read the details carefully

4) The product was not tested against the parameters your situation has- This can be difficult for the average person to determine unless they do a lot of controlled testing and even then the data may not be publically available. Sometimes you have to research this or call and ask.

So, those chain lubes might not be 100% virgin snake oil, maybe more of a synthetic blend. When you do your next UOA, ask the lab to check the legaleze and barnum levels and see which product you are actually using.

Originally Posted By: camperbob
many new timing chain engines have oil pressure based chain tensioners, so as they stretch, they are still tight and don't effect valve timing.

Not sure which engine you are talking about, but when I think of timing chain related problems, I think of plastic gears and a [censored] chain like OEM GM used back in the day. In that case, I think its more timing set composition rather than oil characteristics. Most people swapped them out for a duel roller chain, and metal sprockets.

Pressurized oil in the tensioner picks up the slack, but it doesn't prevent incorrect timing.

If the chain stretches very much, you may get an OBDII code that says cam timing and crank timing aren't matching up properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back