Does Toyota make the best automotive a/c?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience, GM has the best a/c, Chrysler is not even close (disclaimer: my Challenger is black, so maybe that has something to do with it. It's very hot when I get into it during the Virginia summer).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
From my experience, and this is not a biased opinion based on my work, Ford trucks, F150 and up, have some of the most intense AC I have ever seen.

Worst AC is a Lotus Exige, it feels like an elderly man with emphysema gasping for breath.

+1. I have never had a Ford anything that would not cool the car to the point where it is like a freezer.
Hondas, on the other hand, not so much.

Back in 1980 I worked in Long Beach installing AC on Toyotas that came off the ship. Back then most Toyotas did not come from the factory equipped with AC. It took our crew of 3 apprx 30 minutes from start to finish to do a complete install. When it came to evac and charge it was hang a tree of r12 cans and hold the hi side shrader open till it spurts ,done, next.

I don't know if its "the best", but the A/C in the Camry works fine even in south Texas heat.

GM has really good AC systems, Mercedes and the Italians are the worst.

The Germans still can't figure out how to build a proper AC system.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
GM has really good AC systems, Mercedes and the Italians are the worst.

The Germans still can't figure out how to build a proper AC system.

Actually this is not accurate. The systems used in many cars today are designed for a compromise between high efficiency, least drain on
engine (MPGs) and REASONABLE comfort. Just because an A/C system won't freeze you in a few minutes doesn't mean it isn't working
perfectly and effectively. The problem is that US customers expectations are not practical.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
The best AC system I have experience with is my 2006 Ranger. It will get down to 34 degrees F on an 85 degree day.

My Taurus was like that. It would make my feet go numb if I was wearing sandals.

Toyota USED to make a good A/C but it's utter [censored] now. I had a friend with an 03 Camry and it got cold! My '13 barely gets cool on a hot day in the cabin. Several others over on the Toyota Nation forum have the same cross generational disappointment.

It is what it is. And it's [censored].

The AC in our 14' Sienna is good not great. You can tell they have been compromising the cooling capacity for MPG.

My 12' Escape has great AC. Actually every Ford I've owned has had phenomenal AC.

My old 07' Mazda 3 had terrible AC. And it still used a ton of hp. Had it checked every year too, always within spec.

The A/C in the 2012 Scion (Toyota) I had was very good. Always nice and cold even in 90 degree weather. No tint on windows either.

The A/C in a 2005 Pontiac Vibe (a rebadged Toyota Matrix) I had was not very good. It barley cooled the small cabin on 82 degree plus days with just me in it. The Vibe had tinted windows.

My wife's 2015 Mazda3 has a very good A/C. It gets nice and cold and does it rather quickly. We had a heat wave within the past couple of weeks where it got into the low 90's for a few days, and we were comfortable cruising around. No tinted windows.

The A/C in my 2012 Mazda3 is worthless, and has been from day one. I have had it in the service dept. several times to get the issue resolved, but absolutely no fix.

Edmund's dot com did a longterm test on a 2012 Skyactiv Mazda3 like mine, and came to the same conclusion about there A/C. Here is a quote from there website about the 2012 Mazda3 A/C.

"I'll get right to it: The Mazda 3's air-conditioning doesn't cut it. Not even close. SoCal had mid-80-degree temperatures last weekend — not that hot by desert standards — and we spent a lot of time being uncomfortable.... The system needed about 15 minutes of driving time to drop the 3's interior temperature to comfortable levels. Bring it to a halt and the cooling efficiency drops significantly." — Josh Jacquot

I rode around in a 2006 Corolla on a hot day and was impressed with the A/C. No tint on windows.

The A/C in my F150 will blow ice cold in a very short time on any 90 or 100+ degree day. The Camry gets cold enough, but anyone who has ever drove it thought the fan was slightly anemic. We bought the Camry new, and I asked Toyota to check it one time. They said it was "operating as designed."

Originally Posted By: zach1900
I've noticed that the Camry in my sig. has the most powerful (fan) and coldest a/c out of all the cars I've had and have ridden in, on a 95 degree summer day I can get the car cooled down to mid 70's in a matter of minutes where as the Dakota takes much longer and seems to suffer under 30 MPH, the side windows do seem pretty thick in the Camry compared to other cars I have had, are they possibly laminated/insulated better? just curious what mechanism makes the a/c so effective.

Does the Dakota use a clutch fan, or an electric one? That may be the reason low speed A/C is less effective than in your Toyota. The Toyota you have would use an electric fan.

Not all MOPAR A/C systems are bad, but most cars in my family had colder A/C than Mom's 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. At least that system was reliable, The '85 Maxima and 1999 Honda CRV required compressor replacement more than once. Every Maxima and several CRVs at that time did.

VW A/C systems were annoying to me. The compressors usually last 6 to 8 years, and when you flushed out the system, you would use far more flush solvent than in other cars.

I hear talk about German cars having weak A/C due to short summers over there. That never made sense to me, because they made engines and transmissions that were built for scorching heat. Also, Sweden doesn't have long summers, but their A/C systems are good. Most Volvos I saw had A/C systems similar to those by General Motors.

One of my dad's best cars was a 1979 Toyota Corrola. He said that back then, he could add refrigerant DIY, and use the sight glass to determine if the system is full. He had to do that once a year, but it kept the car cool during the long summers in Houston, Texas.

My Volvo S60 gets COLD. Heat is actually fantastic, too. Best overall HVAC system I've had.

The '04 Mustang GT I had before was not as fortunate. No leaks or anything.. but the AC really struggled (and put a noticeable damper on engine performance, in combination with the pulled timing in the heat.)

I have love/hate opinions of chrysler A/C. When they work, they are good. The two town-and-country minivans I've owned could quickly bring the cabin temps down, and then keep going, and at least do it respectably if all you could do was idle in stop and go traffic. They have the equivalent capacity as a domestic A/C for a 1500sq ft house. However, while one van's A/C was trouble-free, the current one hasn't been, and I've had more trouble with chryco A/Cs than any other.

Originally Posted By: meep
I have love/hate opinions of chrysler A/C. When they work, they are good. The two town-and-country minivans I've owned could quickly bring the cabin temps down, and then keep going, and at least do it respectably if all you could do was idle in stop and go traffic. They have the equivalent capacity as a domestic A/C for a 1500sq ft house. However, while one van's A/C was trouble-free, the current one hasn't been, and I've had more trouble with chryco A/Cs than any other.

When I bought my Cherokee, I was told the AC didn't work. I was sure surprised when I turned on the defroster one morning the next spring and it was like an icebox. I did have to add a can of refrigerant last year; the valve leaks under the fill cap ...

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I retrofitted The ac in my f250 to r134a and it will freeze me out. My jeep never has been satisfactory.

What is the compressor in the Jeep? I didn't even know TJs could have AC ... Had 3 and none of them had AC. Interesting! The only ones I have seen with AC have it placed in a really awkward thought so I always assumed it was aftermarket.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
many German cars have weaker a/c systems I think, probably because in Germany a hot day is much cooler than in hot day in west texas. . . .

My W123 coupe was rather poor in the A/C department, as it was designed to let 20% outside air in at all times -- no recirculate feature. The 420SEL W126 was better and had a recirc button, but even with the windows tinted and a light gray interior, it took a little longer than I liked to cool the cabin.

My '94 Olds coupe seemed under-cooled, but that was when GM and others were first doing systems with R134 refrigerant, and they just couldn't handle humid conditions. The car was fine in Colorado, though. (So was I.)

The '97 C-Class cooled beautifully -- I'd set the temp to 68 F. and be fine. Of course it was a smaller car.

A/C also worked great on the Buick Park Avenue, though one year I had to have the fan cage cleared out, as years of dead leaves and other stuff had clogged it. And the Regal is great -- just had to run it on LO yesterday morning, and before I got home I edged the dial up to 65, as I felt cold!

Oh yes -- I've had window tint on all the cars from the W126 on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back