Summer time idling with a/c on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
If the A/C fails completely it doesn't take more than 5 minutes in high heat for that car interior to start roasting. Bottom line is
LEAVE the dogs at home.

What is it with people that feel the need to take their dog everywhere?

I don't take him everywhere, just when I'm going to be gone all day and into the evening, he's such a calm well behaved dig that I forget he's in the back seat half the time.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I do park far out and turn the daytime running lights off)

People do this regularly in Florida. It doesn't seem to harm the car.

There is one car that wouldn't allow this. Dad's 1987 Hyundai Excel would overheat if you had the A/C on during an extended idle. There were other times where the car would overheat without being abused, clearly Hyundai didn't think about the cooling system's needs.

My dogs go with me a lot, too (two German Shepherds). I will open all the windows about 6" as well as blast the a/c, as I'm paranoid the truck may somehow shut off and my dogs will be injured.

The only time I've ever left a cat in the car was when I was driving back down from Denver to NO with Linda's black cat Marie-Antoinette. She was in her carrier, so no chance she could hit the shift lever on the W126, or press a window switch (and she was smart. I wouldn't have been surprised to see her try the switch just to see what would happen). But it was November, and raining lightly -- so, cool enough that she'd be okay while I had lunch, but not so cold as to freeze her.

The point about a dog hitting the shift lever is a good one, unless you make it a habit to put the parking brake on.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Idling does count against your TBN, but your probably already changing soon enough being a conscious car forum member... What is your current OCI and which vehicle and what oil do you use?

I did some heavy idling in my Buick last winter and going 6,000 miles on Pennzoil Platinum took the TBN down to 1.5 from blackstone. I was idling it every cold night up to 60+ minutes 5 days a week at least.

Extended running with an engine not up to temp might be what brings the TBN down the most, which you'd have had every night and then in the mornings and again after work. just a thought... How was the fuel dilution doing? Did you sample when the temperatures had gone up again? That might have evaporated some of the fuel in the oil, but the TBN would never recover obviously.

Actually I only took it for a short drive before draining my UOA sample and interestingly enough there was no fuel showing in my results my last two had the exact same Flashpoint at 415F.

These 3.1 setups run pretty hot with a smaller rad and high oem t stat temperature. Sometimes coolant will hit close to 220F before the second fan kicks on. Running the AC keeps it at a steady 200F coolant temps according to my torque app.

If the A/C fails completely it doesn't take more than 5 minutes in high heat for that car interior to start roasting. Bottom line is
LEAVE the dogs at home.

Excellent point!

Not that I recommend this, but I have a family member who regularly sleeps in his car on trips. His current car is a two year old BMW 535i, in the last month he has spent 6 nights in his car with the AC running overnight (we are also in Florida). He has been doing this for as long as I can remember - against my recommendation of course. It hasn't caused him any problems. He will do track days, driving on the track during the day and sleep in the car overnight - so both extremes.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
LEAVE the dogs at home.

Not our choice, the dog insists on going.

Just a bit of trivia -- Summertime idling with the a/c on develops the highest head pressures in the a/c. It has the biggest effect on r134 systems.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Why not. How is their choice in any way affecting the quality of your life.

My dog goes everywhere with me. He's my best friend. Why would I leave him home alone all day,having to hold in his urine and feces when he can come with me and have his needs met.
Not to mention he loves cruising.

It doesn't affect my quality of life, but I do find it a bit gross when people take their dogs to restaurants and grocery stores.

I once left my dog tethered in my convertible. As I was walking away he stood up to take a look at me and I saw the convertible top coming up. He stepped on the button on the console.

Most cars will explode if they idle with the a/c on.
crazy.gif

If your car can't idle with the a/c on indefinitely, there's a problem with it.

Take the dog. Just keep him off your lap while driving.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
My dogs go with me a lot, too (two German Shepherds). I will open all the windows about 6" as well as blast the a/c, as I'm paranoid the truck may somehow shut off and my dogs will be injured.

I don't know that the windows open 6 inches is going to be enough for an extended period without AC.

I left my dog in the motorhome with the generator running and AC on and for some reason (think the fuel tank was too low--gen cuts out about 1/4 tank to prevent your getting stranded) but the AC had shut off. Fortunately the white body and roof on the motorhome did not let it get too hot.

But then there are the issues of fumes too. They can come back in a motorhome from the generator and potentially could on a running car too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back