Royal Purple research giving me a panic attack????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, really. Nice.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I've got no problem with OVERKILL. It's you. You're like some little furry creature jumping up and down saying "look at me", "look at me"

Post something technically meaningful. This is not a high school debate forum.

Oh Really?

They've made a couple dubious horsepower claims and got called to the carpet on that. However, considering that I never believed the claims in the first place and have used (and continue to use) RP products despite this, it's not an issue for me. Some oil companies use dumb marketing, and some is worse than others, but there are no saints in the business.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Oh Really?

They've made a couple dubious horsepower claims and got called to the carpet on that. However, considering that I never believed the claims in the first place and have used (and continue to use) RP products despite this, it's not an issue for me. Some oil companies use dumb marketing, and some is worse than others, but there are no saints in the business.

For instance... Castrol's marketing is often laughable and juvenile. I am completely aware of it yet still consider myself a fan and always find myself coming back to it and Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
I'm not seeing the bias against RP that NHHEMI is seeing. Lots of people doubt some of the poo coming out of many marketing departments at many companies too. RP is not being picked on.
Who cares as long as RP makes the engine run "real smooth".
crackmeup2.gif
Truth doesn't matter, purple dye does.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
Now maybe they use better base stocks, but I've never really heard that to be true and any manufacturer that dyes their oil purple, probably isn't scouring the earth for the highest quality base stocks.

Originally Posted By: ISO55000
RP the company- The reality is that RP has engaged in conducts and claims that some would consider unethical and deliberately deceptive.

Purple dye trumps all arguments!
48.gif

Seriously, RP is good oil though. I don't know why some (just deven and NHHEMI) people want to
23.gif
over this when about everybody else just says "show me some real evidence", paraphrased. And please don't tell me your engine "runs smoother" on RP, you can't tell the difference between it and any oil of the same or near-similar warm viscosity. Get real.

I'm not seeing the bias against RP that NHHEMI is seeing. Lots of people doubt some of the poo coming out of many marketing departments at many companies too. RP is not being picked on.
Who cares as long as RP makes the engine run "real smooth".
crackmeup2.gif
Truth doesn't matter, purple dye does.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
Now maybe they use better base stocks, but I've never really heard that to be true and any manufacturer that dyes their oil purple, probably isn't scouring the earth for the highest quality base stocks.

RP the company- The reality is that RP has engaged in conducts and claims that some would consider unethical and deliberately deceptive.

Purple dye trumps all arguments!
48.gif

Seriously, RP is good oil though. I don't know why some (just deven and NHHEMI) people want to
23.gif
over this when about everybody else just says "show me some real evidence", paraphrased. And please don't tell me your engine "runs smoother" on RP, you can't tell the difference between it and any oil of the same or near-similar warm viscosity. Get real.

So I guess all the reviews on Amazon.com that claim that they also felt a smoother engine after changing to RP also need to "get real"? Just because you can't feel a difference in smoothness from one oil to another doesn't mean that the whole world shouldn't be able to either.

Originally Posted By: deven
So I guess all the reviews on Amazon.com that claim that they also felt a smoother engine after changing to RP also need to "get real"? Just because you can't feel a difference in smoothness from one oil to another doesn't mean that the whole world shouldn't be able to either.

Placebo effect. Seen it a million times.

Placebo effect. Seen it a million times.

I wonder which banned member you are using a different screen name. As Arsenio Hall says, things that make you go hmmmm hmmmm.

Originally Posted By: wemay
For instance... Castrol's marketing is often laughable and juvenile. I am completely aware of it yet still consider myself a fan and always find myself coming back to it and Valvoline.

Exactly. I decided years ago that if I got overly offended by the various oil companies' marketing techniques and distribution strategies, I'd have been relegated to walking. Every company has done some seriously unethical things all the way to some simply very annoying things.

I know my engine won't explode on a dyno if I'm not using Syntec. I know I'm not gaining a fistful of horsepower by using RP (unless I drop HTHS significantly). I know Pennzoil isn't going to make my pistons look like mirrors while every other oil makes them black. I know M1 AFE will save me fuel, though I know I'll never be able to prove it.

But, we're certainly not going to see oil companies state that their SN/GF-5 dexos1 oil, for example, is completely interchangeable with another company's so certified oil, even though that's almost certainly the case.

I wonder which banned member you are using a different screen name. As Arsenio Hall says, things that make you go hmmmm hmmmm.

Who are you really? Can we ban YOU for nonsense remarks? Or for giving stupid fan-boy opinions?
Do you actually work for Royal Purple, 'cuz your statements about "my engun be smoother with RP" are just too strange to be true.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
But the video does correlate with published data to some extent, does it not?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
To take a page out of the RP naysayers who are always twisting things and looking for a way to discredit positive RP results...

That video is useless and proves nothing because we don't know all of the "real" variables. They only showed the temp being taken of one of the oils which incidentally was the Wal-Mart oil that did the worst. How do we know that the Amsoil, RP, and Mobil 1 were also at the same -40.6F like the Wal-Mart oil was? I know of the 3 oils the Mobil 1 had the least frost on the bottle. Maybe it was sitting out longer under heat or something? Who knows.he 4 tested ). If that is the kind of environment your engine faces then you need a block heater AND you should use 0W30 not 5W30. -40F is extreme.

If you are going to cut/edit what I posted into a tiny tidbit and not quote it all why even bother? By doing so you totally misrepresented what I posted. It makes one question your integrity and motives.
grin2.gif

My post about that video was tongue in cheek to show how such a video with a lot of questions is not being overly questioned by the usual nitpickers. "IF" that video was done by RP, or some RP supporter, and RP came out on top you can bet the farm that the issues/questions I raised would be coming out left and right to discredit it.

I specifically said "I" had no reason to doubt the video results but you failed to include that in your hack of what I said. You missed the point entirely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
NHHEMI : I can't believe the time you take defending this oil..seriously...lol

It is more like I feel I have to defend myself. The way people comment on RP veers off into insulting the people that use it be it intentional or not. It really irks me the way the overwhelming vast majority haven't even used it yet they feel justified telling others, such as myself and deven who have used it extensively, that it is no good and/or that we don't know what we are talking about. Would people on this site let others get away with doing that all the time on ANY other brand but RP? I doubt it.

Wasn't the OP's question basically is the 0W20 API RP oil he got on sale any good? If a poster has never used it how can he/she tell the OP it isn't? Seriously. Because they "think" it is too expensive, they don't like purple, or because they read some data sheet and "think" it is subpar or mediocre? It certainly isn't based off a ton of people using it with problems and posting about it or a bunch of bad UOA's or anything.

Further it seems to be ok for those with N experience at all with RP oil to tell guys like deven and myself, who have tons of hands on use with it, that we are wrong or are apparently so ignorant we don't know what a placebo effect is? Tearing down engines with our own hands and seeing how well RP protects vs what we have seen with engines run on other oils, or using RP in countless vehicles and seeing time and again how the engines run smoother and quieter with RP, is a placebo? Why are our observations and experience to be discredited while people who praise other brands similarly aren't insulted and degraded for those comments like we are?

If I started calling M1 "Unicorn Tears" you can bet your sweet patoot that the M1 users would get all riled up and insulted. If I started making fun of PU users because they like the way their engine runs on it the best they would be outraged as well. If I went around into EVERY freaking thread on this site about insert brand here> and deliberately tried to discredit what people say about it with snide and insulting comments there is no question people would defend their choice. I guess it is ok to say anything you want about RP/RP users though and they should just accept it and be quiet.

How about commenting on all the people who spend just as much time posting in every thread about RP they can to be negative and providing nothing useful? Why are you just singling me out?

It is more like I feel I have to defend myself. The way people comment on RP veers off into insulting the people that use it be it intentional or not. It really irks me ....

NHHEMI: Why defend yourself? Why not defend the facts first? Its not personal. Its just that most people need facts before declaring RP best in any regard. Most say its at least decent oil, on par with about anything other synth out there. Not my choice though.

I am a Professional Engineer and by extension a scientist. (On the forensic side where it matters) Because of reputation, client base, involvement in litigations and all that “stuff”, I don’t have the luxury of voicing my “opinion” because it can come back to haunt me in a number of ways and when I “officially” state something (signature and stamp affixed) both legal and criminal liability attaches.( not to mention financially with my bond) That’s just the nature of this business and all my peers know it going in. I try to maintain that same objectivity in posts in the few technical blogs I talk on. That said, I think (and try) my best to call things straight down the middle with no bias and maintain an open-mindedness to re-evaluate my position with the influx of any new data.

Oh Really?

Yes really

Don’t remember all the specifics because I was across the pond but about 5-7 or so years ago and this was on the automotive side ( which I don’t do) but BP is a client of mine on the reliability side and we heard all about it. Google it and read it all for yourself.

Basically RP was reprimanded because of its claims and trying to claim things with its synthetics in comparisons and other stuff against other brands with unfair standards and a ton of anecdotal claims that could be viewed as misleading when claimed as scientific data. BP went on the table and started comparing apples to apples and from what I am told it went downhill for RP from there. (From what I heard around energy corridor in Tx. This was also somewhat of a collaborative effort)

In short, RP got spanked and was given a softball out to change their ways. I cannot speak for the automotive side but on the industrial side I have personally witnessed this as well. This is common knowledge on the industrial side.

ISO55000;

Your post responding to my question earlier was just too long to read. Sorry. I would like to comment on this though.

I see you are new around here so you don't know. The situation with RP and BP you are talking about was beat to death here. It is not news. Also, it is frankly a non issue not only for me but even for a lot of the RP detractors. So RP claimed HP and MPG gains by swapping to their oil. So what. All oil mfg's make ridiculous claims in their marketing. Those claims are harmless and frankly could be duplicated. Now, if they claimed they were API certified and they weren't or that they were a full synthetic while actually being conventional then we can talk about marketing ethics.

RP wasn't spanked and the board who heard BP's complaint had no actual authority to make RP stop the claims. They did so voluntarily. I find it highly hypocritical of BP, who owns Castrol, to call out other oil mfg's for their marketing claims when it is Castrol who started calling Grp III hydrocracked crude oil base stock oils as "synthetic" which lead to the whole Mobil vs Castrol case with the advertising bureau. Thanks to Castrol's manipulation we now have crude based oils being labelled as "synthetic". Thanks to Castrol most all of the oil mfg's now sell us Grp III based oils as full synthetics.

So what's worse? Saying you will see a small HP/MPG gain with an oil or labeling it as full synthetic when in fact it is really just highly refined crude?

As far as your claims of RP's unethical conduct in the industrial side of things I can't comment on that. I wasn't there to see or hear what you claim you did. We do have a member here on the boards who posts from time to time who does work in the industrial side of things and he speaks 100% the polar opposite about RP than you do. I have seen nothing but praise for them on the industrial side from this member.

For me personally, I can only say my dealings with them are completely the opposite of yours. They have never lied to me about their product. If they don't sell a product that meets my needs they say so. If their product would work but wouldn't satisfy warranty they advise against using it until warranty is up. They have always been courteous and prompt in replies.

It is more like I feel I have to defend myself. The way people comment on RP veers off into insulting the people that use it be it intentional or not. It really irks me ....

NHHEMI: Why defend yourself? Why not defend the facts first? Its not personal. Its just that most people need facts before declaring RP best in any regard. Most say its at least decent oil, on par with about anything other synth out there. Not my choice though.

Where did anyone say RP was the best or even imply it was? I never said that nor have I tried to tell anyone use RP over any other brand. I simply related my experience with RP to the OP which have been nothing but exceptional.

People here don't want facts about RP. What they want is impossible to provide and most know it. The standards they would hold any RP facts/data to are not possible to achieve on an internet forum.

Last edited:
Absolutely not, my cut of your much longer post was just to make it shorter, not to leave some important point out of the discussion. I don't even know what it was exactly but I apologize for making it look that way.

I agree the video is useless on its own. It was just that everyone seemed to be focusing on it rather than the stuff that OVERKILL posted (who I'm supposed to leave out of this apparently), all the while the video didn't show anything contrary to what posted.

It's all lost in the noise now, honestly I've stopped caring. But I didn't mean to truncate what you wrote for my own nefarious purposes. Sorry.

If you are going to cut/edit what I posted into a tiny tidbit and not quote it all why even bother? By doing so you totally misrepresented what I posted. It makes one question your integrity and motives. grin2

My post about that video was tongue in cheek to show how such a video with a lot of questions is not being overly questioned by the usual nitpickers. "IF" that video was done by RP, or some RP supporter, and RP came out on top you can bet the farm that the issues/questions I raised would be coming out left and right to discredit it.

I specifically said "I" had no reason to doubt the video results but you failed to include that in your hack of what I said. You missed the point entirely.

Who are you really? Can we ban YOU for nonsense remarks? Or for giving stupid fan-boy opinions?
Do you actually work for Royal Purple, 'cuz your statements about "my engun be smoother with RP" are just too strange to be true.

The pot calling the kettle black huh. I suggest you re read your posts and see whose posts are more nonsensical. Other than calling you out using a different screen name(which other members here PMd me to give me heads up) there are no nonsensical posts by me.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: wemay

Exactly. I decided years ago that if I got overly offended by the various oil companies' marketing techniques and distribution strategies, I'd have been relegated to walking. Every company has done some seriously unethical things all the way to some simply very annoying things.

I know my engine won't explode on a dyno if I'm not using Syntec. I know I'm not gaining a fistful of horsepower by using RP (unless I drop HTHS significantly). I know Pennzoil isn't going to make my pistons look like mirrors while every other oil makes them black. I know M1 AFE will save me fuel, though I know I'll never be able to prove it.

But, we're certainly not going to see oil companies state that their SN/GF-5 dexos1 oil, for example, is completely interchangeable with another company's so certified oil, even though that's almost certainly the case.

I don't pay much attention to marketing either ... I use what I want to use, be it Quaker State, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, Havoline, etc (synthetic or conventional). I would use RP also, but I would only buy it if it was on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back