Royal Purple research giving me a panic attack????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Could I have worded it better? Perhaps. Am I contradicting myself? hardly. I make a fair and reasonable point about the double standard around here for RP info.

Fair scoff but you can see how they could be seen as contradicting I'm sure
smile.gif

As for my point, I think it manages to somewhat elegantly skirt the issues that you've outlined and still touch on what I feel are the real issues with the data we have vs the data we don't and the claims being made in that context.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
A serious question to think about( for the open minded anyway )...

Why is it that BITOG members on the whole are willing to accept answers/info from oil companies OTHER than RP on their products( like when Pennzoil did the Q&A here )but when RP tech answers a question via e-mail or makes the info available in some way to the public it is not to be believed? More than one person has e-mailed RP tech with the base stock question and received the same exact answer = most of their oils are primarily PAO. It is never believed though. RP isn't even given credit for actually answering the question which most won't do.

I also hear people complain all the time on this site that oil companies won't reveal info on their product, like base stock type, because it is proprietary. They get mad because they won't give the info they asked for( in e-mails and they usually post what they sent and the response ).

So my question is, if we are willing to write to say Mobil 1 or Pennzoil and ask questions one would assume that implies a willingness to accept that answer as truthful correct? It says that even more to me when the people get mad if no answer is given. If you were predisposed NOT to believe the answer you wouldn't be upset you didn't get one right? If you didn't expect to get a truthful answer why would you even write and ask to begin with?

So if the BITOG masses are willing to believe what Pennzoil said in the Q&A held here a while back( and count me in as believing ), or what Mobil 1/Castrol/Amsoil/whatever brand you wish to use, says in an e-mail response to a member who posts the info here, why does no one believe what RP says in their e-mail responses? I don't get it other than it is a clear indicator of how negative people are about that company and it's products.

You asked some good questions and raised some good points I would like to comment on. (As long as we understand these are my comments and in no way representative of this board, its members, my own clients and vendors or anything else) Possibly some people here may find it beneficial so here goes.

Preamble

First let me establish a baseline for my commentary. I am a Professional Engineer and by extension a scientist. (On the forensic side where it matters) Because of reputation, client base, involvement in litigations and all that “stuff”, I don’t have the luxury of voicing my “opinion” because it can come back to haunt me in a number of ways and when I “officially” state something (signature and stamp affixed) both legal and criminal liability attaches.( not to mention financially with my bond) That’s just the nature of this business and all my peers know it going in. I try to maintain that same objectivity in posts in the few technical blogs I talk on. That said, I think (and try) my best to call things straight down the middle with no bias and maintain an open-mindedness to re-evaluate my position with the influx of any new data.

Obviously the people here will form their own opinions (and probably not hesitate to let me know or call me out when I cross the line- I call that a good corrective interview) on how well I adhere to that standard.

RP the company- The reality is that RP has engaged in conducts and claims that some would consider unethical and deliberately deceptive. When a company does this, it leaves a bad taste in people’s memories and it takes a long time for them to go away. It also colors opinions and sets a standard of distrust from that point forward. As I pointed out earlier in this thread, I have personally witnessed this and had to deal with it. That’s not a product testament obviously but in that realm the product is not on trial- the company is. I also made the distinct point to differentiate and separate the company from the product proper.

That raises the next argument- “everybody does this”. That’s equally true but cannot be used to excuse conduct. The sword of truth cuts both ways and makes no distinction. Those who trash RP (the product) because of this are as guilty of unjustified prejudice as RP is guilty of the actions of some of its agents.
The fact remains that we as humans cannot fully separate our emotions, biases, prejudice, preference and agenda from our rational thinking process. I have learned to deal with it because I cannot always control it within my own mind so I cannot expect anyone else to either.

Now that the philosophy is over, let’s go to cold hard science where the facts speak for themselves and everything is on equal footing and let me tell you my personal and professional standards. (Using oil as the subject) This should also explain why I don’t endorse or condemn any specific product.

Motivation

Before I go further, every human has a motivation that colors their commentary and action. Let me give you mine so that it’s out in the open for all to see (and judge). I am in the asset management and reliability business. My motivation is making money by saving my clients money over the long term and issue resolution. Since I sell a service that is very measurable, I have no option but to lay my cards on the table and produce results or I don’t get paid. I don’t have the luxury of being wrong and cannot afford to guess. I don’t always succeed but at least they are high level failures or cases where the data to drive the corrective action is not conclusive so I have to guess. It’s a nature of the beast type thing. By virtue of that, it is in my best interest to promote the “best” in whatever category to our clients but it ain’t that easy.

Commentary

Any oil (insert other product here) that claims to be the “best” or whatever is automatically viewed by me as a rain making claim. Here’s why: (focused on engine oil but the concept is the same regardless)

If a product wants to wear that title (with me promoting it) then it better be prepared to get in the Octagon in a death match and win. This is what motor oil would have to do and meet.

1) The test would have to be totally transparent with 3rd party oversight (nobody has any secrets and everything is in plain sight)

2) The test engines and their stands would have to be identical right down to the machining tolerances, subjected by computer control to exactly the same parameters in real time.

3) Test oils would have to be tested and certified prior to usage and matched for the same class.

4) ALL parameters of the engine would have to be measured. (Accelerometers, thermal signatures, fuel consumption, coolant condition, aspiration, DC motors (no slip, no argument, no excuses just raw flat wave power acting against those zero potential waves in an IC engine) used to induce torque with a dyno attached) This would occur through all ranges and trended. All data would be cross examined and correlated against the parameters. I don’t mean just a single data point- I mean the full spectrum.

5) The engines would be disassembled after each phase to measure critical wear and stress points and trended. This would be reportable just as much as the oil condition.

6) The engines would be run from idle, full load all the way to destruction

7) The service oils would be tested against OEM specs after the test to measure residuals

Every parameter would be measured and published just to be sure.
Those are the minimum requirements any oil would have to meet before I would even consider an endorsement (or critique). Even then the results would be posted by metric category (you may find one given product performs better in a certain area than others) then an aggregate ranking (best overall)

Yeah those are high standards but to quote the Nature Boy- “In order to be the man, you gotta beat the man and the TEST is the man” “WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO”

Summary

If anyone knows of a testing protocol as described above, I would love to see a link to it so I can know what the best oil really is. If not then all product specific arguments based on anecdotal unqualified data and opinions are meaningless and worthless. In the absence of verifiable falsifiable data the only remaining argument is “less filling or tastes great”. That’s why I don’t argue.

If you are happy with RP then use it, if you prefer something else- use it instead. All products are equal until proven otherwise. Word to the wise- don’t bash any product or compare unless that product is prepared to face the same scrutiny with the same yardstick.

Lastly, if anyone would like to commission such a test conducted with 100% transparency and the results published globally, send me a PO and I will invite them all in writing and certified. I personally would like to see who showed up (and more importantly, who didn’t…. and why)

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Well does it or doesn't it? The video was dismissed as not being credible, but does it contradict the published data? OVERKILL posted some numbers. Then someone posted a video that appears to agree with the numbers. The video gets decried as unprofessional and potentially inaccurate. Does that make the numbers OVERKILL posted inaccurate as well?

And why?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
But the video does correlate with published data to some extent, does it not?

So its OK to accept backyard hillbilly science when it supports your view? Then reject an experienced speed shop opinion when it doesn't.

I don't see you attempting to bring any data to the table. Go over to yellowbullet or other hard core racing forums and see what they use.

This is hilarious. Turtlevette, I think he proved your point himself. RP threads never end up well so I'm bowing out. I'll stick to what I see rather than what I read or hear. At least this way I am using one of my god given sense!

Seeing how you bought it on clearance, it's fine. I don't like it because of the price and what you get for that price...which is your average everyday synthetic minus a robust additive package. I find the additive package to be lacking, to say the least. Now maybe they use better base stocks, but I've never really heard that to be true and any manufacturer that dyes their oil purple, probably isn't scouring the earth for the highest quality base stocks.

Originally Posted By: ISO55000
I am a Professional Engineer and by extension a scientist. (On the forensic side where it matters) Because of reputation, client base, involvement in litigations and all that “stuff”, I don’t have the luxury of voicing my “opinion” because it can come back to haunt me in a number of ways and when I “officially” state something (signature and stamp affixed) both legal and criminal liability attaches.( not to mention financially with my bond) That’s just the nature of this business and all my peers know it going in. I try to maintain that same objectivity in posts in the few technical blogs I talk on. That said, I think (and try) my best to call things straight down the middle with no bias and maintain an open-mindedness to re-evaluate my position with the influx of any new data.

RP the company- The reality is that RP has engaged in conducts and claims that some would consider unethical and deliberately deceptive.

Oh Really?

Originally Posted By: doublebase
Seeing how you bought it on clearance, it's fine. I don't like it because of the price and what you get for that price...which is your average everyday synthetic minus a robust additive package. I find the additive package to be lacking, to say the least. Now maybe they use better base stocks, but I've never really heard that to be true and any manufacturer that dyes their oil purple, probably isn't scouring the earth for the highest quality base stocks.

Brad Penn oil for an example is dyed green,and is an excellent oil.Just because Royal Purple uses a dye thats colored purple has nothing to do with base stocks.

I am a Professional Engineer and by extension a scientist. (On the forensic side where it matters) Because of reputation, client base, involvement in litigations and all that “stuff”, I don’t have the luxury of voicing my “opinion” because it can come back to haunt me in a number of ways and when I “officially” state something (signature and stamp affixed) both legal and criminal liability attaches.( not to mention financially with my bond) That’s just the nature of this business and all my peers know it going in. I try to maintain that same objectivity in posts in the few technical blogs I talk on. That said, I think (and try) my best to call things straight down the middle with no bias and maintain an open-mindedness to re-evaluate my position with the influx of any new data.

RP the company- The reality is that RP has engaged in conducts and claims that some would consider unethical and deliberately deceptive.

Oh Really?

Yes really

Don’t remember all the specifics because I was across the pond but about 5-7 or so years ago and this was on the automotive side ( which I don’t do) but BP is a client of mine on the reliability side and we heard all about it. Google it and read it all for yourself.

Basically RP was reprimanded because of its claims and trying to claim things with its synthetics in comparisons and other stuff against other brands with unfair standards and a ton of anecdotal claims that could be viewed as misleading when claimed as scientific data. BP went on the table and started comparing apples to apples and from what I am told it went downhill for RP from there. (From what I heard around energy corridor in Tx. This was also somewhat of a collaborative effort)

In short, RP got spanked and was given a softball out to change their ways. I cannot speak for the automotive side but on the industrial side I have personally witnessed this as well. This is common knowledge on the industrial side.

OK so OVERKILL is off base? What you see in his numbers are wrong then?

Originally Posted By: deven
This is hilarious. Turtlevette, I think he proved your point himself. RP threads never end up well so I'm bowing out. I'll stick to what I see rather than what I read or hear. At least this way I am using one of my god given sense!

I posted something quite similar a few pages back and it was lost in the noise.
This thread has taken so many detours from the question asked by the OP that it's almost a satire.
What I have gathered from the remarkable adherence to the faith shown by the RP faithful is that RP isn't a motor oil, it's a religion.
It follows that if RP use is a sort of new-age faith, then any arguments based upon mere objective fact and logic cannot prevail over that faith.
We even had a guy post that mere objective data told us nothing about how the oil would perform in an engine.
Really?

I've got no problem with OVERKILL. It's you. You're like some little furry creature jumping up and down saying "look at me", "look at me"

Post something technically meaningful. This is not a high school debate forum.

Did you read my post where I said OVERK1LL was right? Again for the umpteenth time I will believe what I see. I was agreeing with the post turtlevette posted about you. Leave OVERK1LL out of it.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I posted something quite similar a few pages back and it was lost in the noise.
This thread has taken so many detours from the question asked by the OP that it's almost a satire.
What I have gathered from the remarkable adherence to the faith shown by the RP faithful is that RP isn't a motor oil, it's a religion.
It follows that if RP use is a sort of new-age faith, then any arguments based upon mere objective fact and logic cannot prevail over that faith.
We even had a guy post that mere objective data told us nothing about how the oil would perform in an engine.
Really?

All RP threads become satire because people choose oil by the PDS, MSDS, UOA's, VOA's or any other acronyms. Just because RPs numbers are not to their liking they call the oil overpriced and inferior. At least my opinions are based on teardowns and personal usage like the one where I ran RP 5w40 for 12000 miles in my A6 with dynos and racing. I can back RP aand sleep well at night.

I don't know what to tell you.
If you can't judge a product by the objective data available for it, then what criteria can you use?
You report good results with RP in a built Audi, anyone's idea of a difficult application.
What if you had used M1 0W-40 instead, or even Rotella 5W-40?
Might those oils have done as well, or maybe even better?
Many people use both oils in engines as highly stressed as that in your Audi with good results.
I guess that I'm trying to reiterate that there are many good oils, but there is no grail.

I've got no problem with OVERKILL. It's you. You're like some little furry creature jumping up and down saying "look at me", "look at me"

Post something technically meaningful. This is not a high school debate forum.

Well TV

This is uncharacteristic of me normally but you did single me out and fire a shot across my bow. I feel obliged now to cross the T and answer with a full broadside aimed at the waterline.

You state very correctly that this is not a “high school debate forum” and I agree it’s not. So, let’s get down to hard science and factual data. I live in that world and have no problem answering that call.

You speak of posting “technically meaningful” information and I did exactly that. I also supported my position with the requirements it would take to establish an answer that would be considered scientifically valid.
Here is a short bullet list:

Never made a detrimental comment about RP the product proper. Actually stated it was a quality product and there should be no fear of using it.

Established what would be the scientifically acceptable criteria for any product to make such claims would have to do and achieve as to superiority ( and that no one yet has accomplished it)

Pointed out that claims against RP are equally invalid as pro other products without hard data to support them

Showed factually that RP has brought some of this upon themselves in their business practices (certainly you have googled royal purple deceptive advertising practices by now to shore up that point and where they were found guilty and allowed to voluntarily change their advertisements. It must also be included that RP was not guilty of some claims and proved their case on appeal. The sword cuts both ways.)

So, it’s been established that the scales are balanced and I concede that out of the gate. Now, where is this “technically meaningful” data that shows that RP is “superior” product deserving its price tag when compared against its identical class competition in a fair and unbiased market?

Please show me where you find fault or a point of error on what has been posted

Thanks

Thanks

NO on the contrary, Thank you.

My response was for the guy in Kansas.

I think you type a bunch without saying much. You start every post by saying you can't say anything because of professional liability. I'm a PE. There are a bunch here I bet. Why aren't we worried?

I bet you are involved in power plant and industrial insurance investigation. A much different animal than automotive lubrication. But i'll thank you in advance anyway just in case you ever do post something we can use.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I don't know what to tell you.
If you can't judge a product by the objective data available for it, then what criteria can you use?
You report good results with RP in a built Audi, anyone's idea of a difficult application.
What if you had used M1 0W-40 instead, or even Rotella 5W-40?
Might those oils have done as well, or maybe even better?
Many people use both oils in engines as highly stressed as that in your Audi with good results.
I guess that I'm trying to reiterate that there are many good oils, but there is no grail.

My car prior to this was a 2010 E350 and I did use both M1 0w40 and RP 5w40. M1 did just fine in that car. I chose to go back to RP because my car ran smoother on it. I have many customers who have used M1 0w40 in their racing applications. Even though there was some minor wear, M1 did a heck of a job. You'll never find me talking [censored] about M1 0w40 because its a very very good oil. Its just that people who have never used RP talk smack about it due to numerical values and price. Do you go onto yelp and leave a review of a restaurant that you've never eaten yet but give them negative review because you dont like the ingredients they use and the prices they charge?

Last edited:
My car prior to this was a 2010 E350 and I did use both M1 0w40 and RP 5w40. M1 did just fine in that car. I chose to go back to RP because my car ran smoother on it. I have many customers who have used M1 0w40 in their racing applications. Even though there was some minor wear, M1 did a heck of a job. You'll never find me talking [censored] about M1 0w40 because its a very very good oil. Its just that people who have never used RP talk smack about it due to numerical values and price. Do you go onto yelp and leave a review of a restaurant that you've never eaten yet but give them negative review because you dont like the ingredients they use and the prices they charge?

Car ran "smoother". Yeah, right. Amazing funny weird post. thanks deven!

Originally Posted By: fredfactory

Car ran "smoother". Yeah, right. Amazing funny weird post. thanks deven!

Real mature Fred. Read my posts in this forum. I have said in many occasions that the two oils that really help smooth out an engine are RP and RL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back