Leupold scopes

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, we were in the gun store the other day (my shooting buddy and myself) and he's going to exchange his Hawke scope for something. Originally considering a Bushnell Elite 6500 because of my luck with them but they have a Leupold VX-2 there in 6-18x40 and we both looked through it and came to the conclusion that it was simply better in the image clarity department at $100 less to boot.

Which got me looking further into their scopes. In particular the VX-3 in 8.5-25x50 (66610).....

Thoughts? I was really impressed with the example we both looked through. The clarity was beyond excellent as was the eye relief and ability to quickly find your "spot" with it.

I have no complaints about my 6500's but this certainly has me considering alternatives for my next scope purchase. I don't recall being this impressed with them the last time I looked at one, so I'm assuming it was perhaps a different model
21.gif
that was a few years ago now.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
You can never go wrong with a Leupold.

I agree. I have one on my 300 WSM and .17 caliber. They make a great product.

Leupold is nothing like it used to be. They dont start to get good untill the MKIV line.

If you havent looked at Vortex you should. Even the Zeiss Conquest line blows the VX-3 glass away. You have options, keep looking.

Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman
Leupold is nothing like it used to be. They dont start to get good untill the MKIV line.

If you havent looked at Vortex you should. Even the Zeiss Conquest line blows the VX-3 glass away. You have options, keep looking.

Vortex isn't a manufacturer though, they just spec a product and it is manufactured elsewhere (including China). I'm not a big fan of that model. Leupold is a manufacturer, as is Zeiss.

I've read mixed reviews on basically every optic out there. Had the guy at the gun store tell me Nightforce is junk for example
21.gif

I was very impressed with the quality of the VX-2 I played with, and that's the basis for this thread. They didn't have a VX-3 in the magnification I'd be looking for in stock, which was unfortunate as I couldn't compare it to my 6500's.

And you think Leupold is making everything inhouse? they are sourcing parts too Thats why you cant find made in the usa on all their products.

if your shopping for a label then what that label says determines what you buy. If your shopping for function, and in the budget you mentioned I still say you have better options out there and shouldn't settle until you have had a chance to look through several scopes. Glass is just one part of the equation though, tube strength, reticle choice, turret design and function all matter as well.

it all goes back to what are you going to do with it?

heres a write up i did on another forum a while back if you got some time to kill and want to read it.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/long-guns/89592-linkpimp-some-scope.html

And you think Leupold is making everything inhouse? they are sourcing parts too Thats why you cant find made in the usa on all their products.

No, I know they are not doing everything in house, particularly their lower tier products. The same goes for many of the manufacturers for their low-end stuff. They do however manufacture optics, Vortex doesn't
wink.gif

if your shopping for a label then what that label says determines what you buy. If your shopping for function, and in the budget you mentioned I still say you have better options out there and shouldn't settle until you have had a chance to look through several scopes.

Technically I didn't mention a budget, just a particular scope that piqued my interest but I see your point. And I have looked through several scopes at this point and the Leupold to both myself and my buddy had the best image quality. But of course there are other options out there that were not accessible at that time.

Glass is just one part of the equation though, tube strength, reticle choice, turret design and function all matter as well.

it all goes back to what are you going to do with it?

heres a write up i did on another forum a while back if you got some time to kill and want to read it.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/long-guns/89592-linkpimp-some-scope.html

I'll give it a read, thanks
smile.gif

What about Swarovski? Though I've never experienced them, I've heard lots of good things about them...

To get the magnification in the range mentioned above would be over $1500 easily. They do make a 1" line but i never used it. Just the standard Swaro line

If you have the cash take a look at Nightforce Scopes. They're pricey, probably in the $1,200.00 -$2,400.00 price range. But as the saying goes you get what you pay for. I won a Nightforce scope from a $5 raffle ticket at a 1000 yard F-Class match. The scope NF 8-32x56 CH2 scope is absolutely amazing. If you want to tap the full potential of that .338 Lapua this scope will do it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If you have the cash take a look at Nightforce Scopes. They're pricey, probably in the $1,200.00 -$2,400.00 price range. But as the saying goes you get what you pay for. I won a Nightforce scope from a $5 raffle ticket at a 1000 yard F-Class match. The scope NF 8-32x56 CH2 scope is absolutely amazing. If you want to tap the full potential of that .338 Lapua this scope will do it.

This x 1000. I have an 8x32x56 with the MIL-DOT reticle and a 12x42x56 with the NP-R2 reticle. I bought them about 10 years ago (they were pricey then too, but not as much as today) and they are the best scopes I have ever used or seen. I have them on my varmint rifles and they make those 700+ yards shots much easier. The reticles can be illuminated for use in low light or night time shots. The clarity of the lenses have not been matched by any scope that I have looked through to date.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

This x 1000. I have an 8x32x56 with the MIL-DOT reticle and a 12x42x56 with the NP-R2 reticle. I bought them about 10 years ago (they were pricey then too, but not as much as today) and they are the best scopes I have ever used or seen. I have them on my varmint rifles and they make those 700+ yards shots much easier. The reticles can be illuminated for use in low light or night time shots. The clarity of the lenses have not been matched by any scope that I have looked through to date.

You got it!

luppy, is $$$, you are paying for the warranty,
I have a few, I like the exit pupil on them.

if you going to spend that much, check our nightforce.

if are you not worried about making weight for sanctioned match, I would get the largest objective scope.

how much elevation you need might limit your choices.

So I ordered the one I mentioned in the OP. I couldn't get Nightforce through our local shop and I'm a bit apprehensive about ordering optics online for warranty issues and the like.

They only have one dealer listed in Ontario:
http://georgesshootingshack.ca/product-category/nightforce/

And it seems like the model offered in comparable magnification to the Leupold is more than $1,000 more. Hard to justify on a gun that I only spent 2K on. Perhaps when I buy an M99, I'll revisit this.

I also ordered their PRW high rings for it. Should be here within a week and I'll give some pics and feedback once it shows up.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back