Best filter for an infrequently used vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is sort of a dumb question, but -

My mother doesn't drive her vehicle very much anymore, and the car can sometimes sit for a week at a time. The vehicle is a 2010 Altima with the 3.5L V6.

I change the oil every six months using 5W30 synthetic and an OEM Nissan filter. Ever since her driving pattern changed, she has complained of hearing a noise upon start-up for a brief period of time that resembles a dry start.

I am suspecting that the filter may be partially to blame for the dry start. Can you folks recommend a filter with a good ADBV design that may minimize the occurrence of this issue?

Thx.

Run a Fram Ultra and change it once a year. The start-up noise is likely from oil leaking past the ADBV (after long periods of sitting) and is mostly harmless.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Run a Fram Ultra and change it once a year.

Warranty requires oil services every 6 months, but I'll look into the Fram Ultra. Any particular reason for that recommendation?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
What filter is on there now?

Did you read the original post?
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
What oil are you using?

Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 EP 5w-30, this should not matter.

Any filter with a silicon ABV. Fram TG is cheaper than ultra and still great filter IMO. I would not use a Napa/wix if the filter for your application uses a combo valve design, not all do, I've read some complaints and stiffness.
If the OEM has silicon valve already might not help.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
This is sort of a dumb question, but -

My mother doesn't drive her vehicle very much anymore, and the car can sometimes sit for a week at a time. The vehicle is a 2010 Altima with the 3.5L V6.

I change the oil every six months using 5W30 synthetic and an OEM Nissan filter. Ever since her driving pattern changed, she has complained of hearing a noise upon start-up for a brief period of time that resembles a dry start.

I am suspecting that the filter may be partially to blame for the dry start. Can you folks recommend a filter with a good ADBV design that may minimize the occurrence of this issue?

Thx.

These engines are known for startup rattle even when sitting over night! They're better in your Mom's 4th Gen Altima, notorious in my Gen.

If I were to let my Altima sit for a long period of time, I would have it leaning lower on the filter side/passenger side of the car. This will help keep the oil in the filter and, from draining past the ADBV. Which, can even happen(in my experience) with a silicone ADBV...and even on level ground!

Try it, it does work!
smile.gif

My mother also drives very low miles each year, I am talking 2-4k/year.

I use ultra + any synth blend change it once a year. I wouldnt worry about 6 mon/12 mon OCI for warranty proposes. They are likely to complain about non Nissan Oil + filter, oil condition matters not how long.

I switched all my cars to Fram Ultra. They pretty good bang for buck right now, well made in the good 'ol USA.

If you have amazon prime, do subscribe and save with filters. For me it comes to between 6 and 7 dollars per filter delivered.

Last edited:
My S-10 sits for long periods. At different times I had tried OCODs and Supertech filters for various reasons, on top of the AC Delco PF-52 and UPF-52. More recently the Fram Ultra.

OCOD and Supertech always caused a startup knock. The delco filters and the Ultra never have, even if sitting for months.

Not sure if there is a delco filter that fits, and they have changed substantially since I bought my stash, so I second the ultra.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Run a Fram Ultra and change it once a year.

Warranty requires oil services every 6 months, but I'll look into the Fram Ultra. Any particular reason for that recommendation?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
What filter is on there now?

Did you read the original post?
wink.gif

That should be a moot point very shortly for a 2010.

Originally Posted By: Garak
What is the appropriate Wix for it? If it's the 51358, that has a nitrile ADBV; if you want silicone, you can go to the 51365 or 51356.

My feelings exactly.

I highly recommend the affordable, reliable, well built Purolator Classic, available at my walmart for $3.26.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back