Delo vs. Rotella vs. Delvac for 12-Valve Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have read multiple topics on this, and I think I've came to the conclusion that you can run any of these oils and you will never have an oil-related problem.

I am wanting to go back to one of the "Big Three" HDEO's. My last two OCI's were run with SuperTech 15W40. Haven't had any problems with the oil, but my motor does seem to consume it at a higher rate than when I ran a name-brand oil. Keep in mind, this is going in my 98 Dodge Ram with the Cummins 12-Valve engine. Has 325,000 miles on her as of new, and it is my DD. I realize some consumption with this motor is to be expected, but I would like to minimize it if possible.

Also, it really doesn't leak oil, just consumes it. With a name-brand HDEO that was about 1 qt every 5,000 - 6,000 miles...and with the SuperTech that number doubled.

So in the end, I am asking, in my application...about 60% Highway / 40% City driving, and minimal towing, what would you recommend?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Rotella T6. My Cummins is not that much different than yours (except lower mileage and 24V vs 12V).

I do agree that T6 is a great oil...but with the consumption, I'm afraid the synthetic will cause it to consume and/or leak more than it already does. And the way I use the truck, I don't think I will get my money's worth from the T6. I will be changing it because of consumption long before the oil is "used up".

I'm a diesel semi mechanic at UPS. That engine is the same exact one used in yard shifter/spotter trucks for years. What oil you use really doesn't matter. The engine might blow a head gasket and need a new injector pump eventually but I've seen those engines last over 20K hours pulling semi trailers.

Take your pick and put it in. Sometimes an engine just does better with one brand over others in regards to consumption.

I can only say that delvac and rotella have higher starting tbn and in my use, still had higher tbn after an oci burning through the same number of gallons of fuel (roughly 3500-3700 gallons per oci). That was in a volvo D11, not a pickup truck.
smile.gif

However, the delo 400LE quieted the noisy gears in the engine. My current D13 has no excessive gear meshing noise but the D11 was very noticable at idle or low rpm driving (such as easing across a parking lot). Under any load, combustion noise took over but at idle it was much smoother in the geartrain with delo in it.

All performed great in a hard working little engine. Supertech worked very well, too.

As far as wear control, any of them (including the ST) will be fine, so it must be other things you're concerned about.

You have a few choices in terms of approach ...
1) go with rumors
2) test and decide
You already have run the ST; now try each of the "big three".

But that's only PART of the answer!
Why are you doing this in the first place? What's wrong with ST? I must presume, from your comments, that you're dissatisfied with the ST because of cost. Fluid consumption has to be replaced, and that costs money. So, this is a fiscal decision, right?

So what you REALLY need to do to get the right answer is test all alternatives against the known.

What is your true cost per OCI for the ST, including top off? "X" quarts used in 6k miles multiplied by "Y"$/qrt will give a real cost per OCI.
What is your true cost per OCI for others, including top off? Apply same formula ...

Just because some fluid may not be consumed quite as quickly, does not mean it's the "best" in terms of money. It may or may not be cheaper to top off the ST more frequently ...

You'll never know until you try.

There's no practical way to tell the difference between these 3 in real world use. Try the one that you can get for the cheapest price.

Then make sure you take care of other maintenance issues, too.

Originally Posted By: Noobie
PQIA tested all of them. (Or at least some variations of it)
I'd go with Delvac.

Probably what I'll stick with in all honesty. I have used and tried them all in the past with no noticeable differences between the three.

I prefer the Delvac for no real reasoning, but my grandfather has ran it in his OTR trucks for years and swears by it. That leads me to usually choose it over the others, nothing more.

Thanks you guys!

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Take your pick and put it in. Sometimes an engine just does better with one brand over others in regards to consumption.

I can only say that delvac and rotella have higher starting tbn and in my use, still had higher tbn after an oci burning through the same number of gallons of fuel (roughly 3500-3700 gallons per oci). That was in a volvo D11, not a pickup truck.
smile.gif

However, the delo 400LE quieted the noisy gears in the engine. My current D13 has no excessive gear meshing noise but the D11 was very noticable at idle or low rpm driving (such as easing across a parking lot). Under any load, combustion noise took over but at idle it was much smoother in the geartrain with delo in it.

All performed great in a hard working little engine. Supertech worked very well, too.

Ya can't knock Warren Oil, although I use T6 in just about everything I own.

Delo is a little thicker than the rest.

That may help with consumption.

Delo 400LE 15W-40 is in my Cummins right now.

I like the extra moly and boron.

I have not tried T6 in anything yet but it sure is popular.

I'm currently running Kendall Super D-xa (15w40) in my volvo. They sponsor BITOG so why not give them some business. If anyone has experience with the kendall, feel free to chime in, good or bad.

How does a diesel engine re-route blow-by gasses into the air intake? You should check that equipment to see if it is functioning properly.

Check the turbocharger for compressor side oil leaks. Remove some of the air intake tubing and see if oil is in there.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I am on a Delo kick since they lowered the price at WM. Now it's $11.53 for the gallon.

Did you take advantage of the Delo rebate last month?

$15 off 3 gallons of Delo 15W-40 and $20 off 3 gallons of Delo 5W-40 synthetic.

I felt like I was stealing something leaving Walmart last weekend.

There is still time to file it. Hopefully you still have your receipts.

The 5.9 Cummins does not reroute blow by gases into the intake, they are simply vented off the front of the gear case.

Synthetic won't necessarily increase your engines consumption. I'd be inclined to give it a shot, especially since you live in a hot climate but that's strictly my personal preference. Dino will feed a 5.9 for hundreds of thousands of miles. If your limiting your options to the 3 you listed I'd go for whatever is on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back