Tools to pull windshield wipers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Question is simple as that. Is there a good set of tools that would be recommended to support the removal of windshield wipers? These days all the space under the plastic cowl coverings on aerodynamic cars seem to catch a lot of leaf litter. It's not feasible to clean out all the nooks and crannies without removing the wipers so that these plastic cowl covers can be removed.

Wasn't sure if there is a puller of some sort that is worth getting?

Thanks!

You mean the arms off the splines? First you want to lock the arms "up" so the springs aren't pushing them against the glass. (and torquing them sideways on the splines) Then remove a nut and you can probably get them off with a plastic trim tool pry bar thing, though I just wiggle them off.

My cutlass ciera had a little tab that you could move to lock the wipers up off the glass to accomplish this.

Wiper arm pullers do exist. I have no experience with them so I am unable to recommend one. Hopefully someone will chime in.

smack the stud a little bit with a hammer, not incredibly hard but it will loosen the arm.

The puller tools are very handy for arms that are stuck on with corrosion. The Lisle one works well. I have a Blue Point that works similarly but is spring loaded instead of having the adjusting wheel in the center.

You can also try a battery clamp puller, it worked on the rear wiper on my Jeep.

How about a valve spring compressor>

Don't some wipers have something spring loaded on the shaft you have to deal with?

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
smack the stud a little bit with a hammer, not incredibly hard but it will loosen the arm.

Before going to O'Reilly to buy battery/wiper puller I tried this method first, it works.

Don't smack the stud too hard and use a Vice Grips to pull the wiper arm up.

The wipers sit fairly high on S2000 windshield and it obstruct the view a little, especially when parking it blocks the front bumper.

Since we don't have rain from early April until late October early November, I like to remove the wipers during those months. Thanks to this thread and special thanks to cptbarkey, I can now remove the wipers of my S2000 with minimum effort and best of all no cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back