I want a new phone but the cost has me thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
With regards to monthly costs, I go through my options about every 3 months to ensure that I have the best plan possible based on my usage. I don't see how people can spend over $100 a month on a cell phone unless they don't have any access to the internet/wifi, which would be strange in this day and age.

You don't have internet/wifi when you're on the road. I'm paying over $100 a month for Verizon, but then I'm grandfathered in with unlimited data. Reason I have Verizon is because of better coverage. In sales, there's the story of the $5,000 or $10,000 lunch or whatever, you don't get the call and you miss the sale. When you're on commission sales, you don't want to lose a potential 5-10k call over a few dollars a month.

Cricket again FTW (I'm switching this week)
Moto G LTE for $25 after rebate.
5 lines for $100/month. 2.5g of high speed data, then unlimited slow speed data. Higher data plans avaialbe too.
After 2016 the 5 lines will be $110/month.

Leaving my VZW grandfathered unlimited data plan (RAZR M user too) for this. The 4.5" Moto G is a near identically sized phone, by the way.

I'll save over $400 a year, and my plan with VZW was "cheap" by many standards!
If anyone is switching, PM me and we can get a refer a friend bonus ($25 for each customer - referrer and referee)

laugh.gif

OP - my first "smartphone" was $50/free after rebate.
Last one I bought second-hand (to not loose VZW unlimited plan) for $180.
Next one is $25 after $75 rebate.

$600 phones just do not exist in my world. Neither do $120 phone bills. Do people not realize how much money that is over 1-2 years!!!

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Your other option is to get last year's model. Typically you can get them for $200-$300, so basically on your $600 phone, you have $300-$400 depreciation in just one year. and they are good for at least 3-4 years. Same thing as buying a new car. It's why lots more people buy used cars than new ones. Not that common with phones that's all. Or you can wait a year and the phone you're looking at will be down to $200-$300 used/refurbished.

Yeah, that's why I got the LG G2, the G3 is now the latest thing and you can get the G2 pretty cheap...saw them on eBay for $219 this week. They're 2.3 quad core, 2GB RAM, 32GB internal, 5.2 HD screen, etc, etc. The G3 has a laser focus camera and a 5.5 screen, plus the processor is a little faster (2.5 vs 2.3), but otherwise they're pretty similar, other than the G3 costing $600+.

I've got mine rooted with CM12 unofficial and Android 5.0.2, loving it!!

If you use your phone as an every day camera it might be false economy not to upgrade regularly if you have the money. Because people catch a lot of life's special moments on their cell phones and I know I wouldn't want to get that one in a million shot only to realize it was blurry or too low of a resolution to be used for anything serious. Yes, I have a DSLR but I don't always have it when I need it. And the camera phones just keep getting better.

My one year old Lumia Icon just gained the ability to shoot 4K video with a simple over-the-air-software update.

I ended up finding out about a brand called BLU and I bought one of their phones for $150 and it has been wonderful. No complaints whatsoever and an excellent value.

The original $600+ phone I wanted has decreased to $500, but even then it is still not worth it.

The BLU phone may fall into the 2 year throw away. I hope not, but report back on it, always good to get updates on the oddball brands out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back