Going to try and sell my car for the 1st time

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do make great beaters....I should know- I have one!
grin.gif

The outside paint is shot. People do not have high expectations in that price range. I wouldn't detail it. It will sell at the price you are thinking about.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yikes, what happened to the paint?

The crazy Texas sun and heat. It'll destroy a car's paint job if left unprotected.

Originally Posted By: jacky
i would not have it painted
make sure car is fully detailed including the motor
i would tell people oil was changed every 3,000 miles whether its true or not
also if you selling to a person be prepared for lowball offers and some people claim they will be back with the cash but never return

No, do not lie to the potential buyer. Honesty is the best policy. As a BITOGer I am sure you have a nice stack of maintenance paperwork, present this to any potential buyers as this is actual proof of maintenance. Do give it a good detail all over, as this does increase your chances of selling it off. I would be surprised if you did not sell it for $3000. That seems like a good deal to me.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

The crazy Texas sun and heat. It'll destroy a car's paint job if left unprotected.

I've seen a couple Cobalt's here in sunny Florida with this issue as well. The sun just isn't an automotive paints friend.

Don't repaint it. I would much rather have a car with original faded paint than a Maaco paint job. (My Camry had a Maaco paint job, was horrible)

Ask $3,200 OBO so that you get $3,000. I think it's worth a little more than that, but it depends how fast you want it sold.

Make sure to include the word FIRM on your price in the ad. This will eliminate 50% of [censored] phone calls. Be honest and polite even to the idiots. You never know.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

A neighbor had a dark blue 2000 Corolla. It was a beautiful color for several years, but then began to oxidize and get those big ugly spots on the roof and hood. He waxed it twice a year since new, but still had the paint fading issue. A service rep at the dealership told him that dark blue's and greens are more susceptible to oxidation because of the pigments in those colors. I remember he wasn't convinced of that, and wrote it off as cheap paint.

I see more blue, and red cars around here with serious oxidation.

Hello, This comes from my experiences.
1) Clean the car well. If that's called detailing, so be it. Use small brushes to get into cracks and grooves.
2) Clean the windows for real. Break your back bending and hit every square inch.
3) If there's anything like "neighborhoods" where you are, go to the local auto parts stores and show the guys behind the counter.
4) Look at cars.com, Kelley, Autotrader and other cars for sale and pick a price. Here's the rub.
The average price I've gotten for cars I've sold is 17% lower that my original asking price and I always gave the sale time. Many people will see your 157K miles and will look elsewhere.
5) Don't be swayed by someone telling you it's only worth "X" on Blue Book. List your maintenance.
No records?....You lose a bit.
5) I've needed 16 to 42 callers to sell a car.
6) A neighbor stopped me from putting a for sale sign in my car so zero phone calls for that one.
7) Carpet cleaner on spots where need be.
8) Clean and organize the trunk.
9) Make sure every light bulb works. A "Mountain Bear" was helping his brother check out a car and yelled out, "Hey Bill, the light in the trunk works!"
10) Remember to wash the door jambs/hinge areas. If there's a foot scuffed worn patch, touch it up.
Good luck with the sale. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back