BMW advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Aunt has a 2001 325i wagon. She bought it new. It looks brand new, you could eat off it. Garage kept its whole life. All maintenance done by dealer. It did have a oil consumption issue and had the top end rebuilt about 30k miles ago. It currently as 140k on it. I think it can be had for around $2000 + my one way flight and cost to drive it home from the east coast.

She recently bought a S500, and she's looking to sell it.

My wife has a 08 sentra. Paid off. We plan on buying a mini-van in a few years as we're expecting. The sentra would go.

My thought was to sell the Sentra before it's worth nothing or the CVT explodes. Pocket the cash in our rainy day fund. When the time comes, buy the van and sell the BMW.

I read a few reviews that with proper care, the BMW seems to last.

Any thoughts on powertrain, inline 6, transmission?

The maintenance on the BMW would be more than on the Sentra. Might want to check insurance rates on both of them also. But the BMW will drive so much better than that Sentra. And, having a wagon along with a hatch will delay the minivan purchase. Kids don't mean go buy a minivan the second they're born.

When was the last time the whole cooling system was completely overhauled? That is likely going to be your major expense and even bigger expense if you choose to neglect it.

140k is a fair amount of mileage for an automatic. But if it works as of now and you're going to sell the car soon-ish, it'll probably be fine.

I'm assuming a rebuilt top-end will include the VANOS bits, which I believe is the only piece that you might have to worry about. Otherwise, these engines are about as bulletproof as they come.

EDIT: And what Quattro Pete said.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
When was the last time the whole cooling system was completely overhauled? That is likely going to be your major expense and even bigger expense if you choose to neglect it.

Whenever the dealer told her to do it. I haven't spoke to her about it yet. Still researching. I do all work myself.

The Sentra currently has 65k on it.

Originally Posted By: dja4260

Whenever the dealer told her to do it.

The dealer would never tell her to do it. It's not in the maintenance manual. The dealer would rather sell her a new engine when her current one overheats.

Whenever the dealer told her to do it.

The dealer would never tell her to do it. It's not in the maintenance manual. The dealer would rather sell her a new engine when her current one overheats.

I looked it up on some BMW forums. Seems like something I can do.

KBB for the Sentra is $7500. Kicking the thought around...

I found that out. 130,000 car. 1 overheat, never hit the red soon coolant in the oil and them asking for $2500 for a headgasket.

The E46 are certainly nice driving cars, and the utility of a wagon cannot be denied. $2K for one in a good condition sounds like a good deal. They have their quirks, but if you're handy, there is plenty of DIY information out there and part prices are reasonable, although all in all probably will cost you more to maintain than a Sentra. But it'll be much more rewarding to drive if all the suspension components are in good working order.

The E46 are certainly nice driving cars, and the utility of a wagon cannot be denied. $2K for one in a good condition sounds like a good deal. They have their quirks, but if you're handy, there is plenty of DIY information out there and part prices are reasonable, although all in all probably will cost you more to maintain than a Sentra. But it'll be much more rewarding to drive if all the suspension components are in good working order.

It would be for my wife. She would like the heated seats and moonroof but wouldn't appreciate the driving experience. I wish it was a few years newer. Its age scares me.

Originally Posted By: montero1
Nearing almost 130k on my Sentra, no signs of the CVT exploding.

Ah, a reasonable minded contrarian weighs in

Originally Posted By: montero1
Nearing almost 130k on my Sentra, no signs of the CVT exploding.

Glad to hear that. I haven't heard many good things about the CVTs in that year range + - a year.

They are nice cars. I would like to know why the engine needed the top end rebuilt however, that's unusual unless it was just a VANOS overhaul.

As was mentioned, the cooling system needs to be kept an eye on but otherwise they are very nice cars that handle well and the driving experience is excellent. Does it have real leather or vinyl seats?

E46's can go through BMW water impellers and radiators every 60k to 75k miles. After market steel impeller will help and be more reliable. VANOS will be a new word in your vocabulary too. I'd be very interested if the transmission fluid has been changed. Being dealer serviced it may have experienced some stupid long OCI's. That all said an E46 touring will drive like a dream and $2k sounds like a more than fair number. As others have pointed out, these vehicles will require more and more expensive maintenance than Asian and other vehicles. But if you are willing and able to put in the $$, you could have a very nice driving automobile. Good luck.

It would be for my wife. [...] wouldn't appreciate the driving experience.

Bleh. Give her your Elantra and you drive the BMW.

It would be for my wife. [...] wouldn't appreciate the driving experience.

Bleh. Give her your Elantra and you drive the BMW.

She cannot and isn't willing to drive a manual. My Elantra is dent and scratch free...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back