Best Midsize Sedan ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
There really isn't a bad car in this segment(midsize/family sedan), It's just a matter of which vehicle is right for the buyer. What vehicle fits your criteria best? A lot of test driving to do my friend!
smile.gif

^^^ This!

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I was considering trading my Challenger in, but later changed my mind. I looked at midsize cars, and the best one for the money (all things considered and the actual bottom line price), I liked the Chevy Malibu the best.You get a lot for the money, it's American made, Chevy has a large dealer network, cheap parts, etc.
Originally Posted By: wemay
They are all great cars. It's the finer point that will make the difference to the individual making the purchase. I don't think that asking which is better in this segment is any different than doing so for an SN/GF-5 oil.

Yeah, it's all in what details you desire! For example, I could care less about the infotainment system. But, since they all have them, I would want something more simple(No info system if possible). And this is the area that Chrysler and Subaru have that is better than the others in terms of user friendliness/ease of use!

That's exactly why I was going to buy the Malibu LS. No display screen on the dash. One reason I didn't get the car was I had to get the LT pkg to get satellite radio, and when I travel into West Virginia, there are no decent radio stations to listen to.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Toyota Camry. A bland and boring car but very reliable.

Bland is an understatement. One thing about the car I cannot stand. I you are behind one, it looks like the exhaust pipe lost a hanger and is about to fall off. Incredibly cheap look and they have been like that for years. I would not buy one just because of the second rate engineering that went into designing the exhaust system.

Despite all the hype on the Fusion, they are not all that great. Bought my wife a new 2010. Got a recall almost immediately for reprogramming the PCM. Dealer said that all the 4cyl models required reprogramming or transmission damage would occur. After the job was completed, developed a loud buzzing vibration at 45 mph. Took it back numerous times with no fix. Dealer finally admitted that all the reprogrammed cars did this. I contacted Ford Customer Service and elevated the issue to a second level supervisor (managed to get by all the foreign reps in the first two levels who could barely speak English and read me canned answers not relevant to the problem). Second level supervisor said that Ford was aware of the problem but since it did not affect safety or drivability, a fix was not a priority. I promptly traded the Fusion on a BMW 328i and never looked back. Wife could not be happier with her BMW.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Toyota Camry. A bland and boring car but very reliable.
The V6 version has 260 HP, it's not bland. They fixed the exhaust routing about three versions ago in the early 2000s. Aftermarket "muffler shop" versions can still be found hanging on the older cars. Even though I own Toyotas, I had always though the Honda double wishbone front suspension was a better design, but now they use struts as well.

Last edited:
Honda engines are usually make more power than Toyota engines.

The smaller 2.4L 4-cyl engine in Accord generates 185 HP compares with 178 HP of Camry 2.5L 4-cyl engine.

Both V6 engines are 3.5L, 278 HP for Accord and 268 HP for Camry.

I think Toyota engines are usually quieter than Honda from idle to mid-range.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The smaller 2.4L 4-cyl engine in Accord generates 185 HP compares with 178 HP of Camry 2.5L 4-cyl engine.

Would need to examine the torque curves to determine which one would be better as a DD.

What constitutes a midsize car these days? I'm quite pleased with my Regal, and since Buick has a smaller model (Verano) and larger (LaCrosse), I assume it's midsize. The Regal has been solid and quiet, fun to drive, and has had no problems aside from a seat heater unit that was replaced under warranty.

There really isn't a bad car in this segment(midsize/family sedan), It's just a matter of which vehicle is right for the buyer. What vehicle fits your criteria best? A lot of test driving to do my friend!
smile.gif

This is a common misconception, one that the average owner won't discover until north of 100K.
Some of these cars unquestionably hold up better than others.
Some of these cars will retain their new driving dynamics as well as engine performance well past 150K while others won't.
I know what I'd buy.
I'd wish any buyer good luck with some of these cars.
They aren't all equal in terms of reliability and durability as they age.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
smile.gif

This is a common misconception, one that the average owner won't discover until north of 100K.
Some of these cars unquestionably hold up better than others.
Some of these cars will retain their new driving dynamics as well as engine performance well past 150K while others won't.
I know what I'd buy.
I'd wish any buyer good luck with some of these cars.
They aren't all equal in terms of reliability and durability as they age.

Looking at the list of cars in your signature, it looks like you would own just about any of them. Only makes I don't see in your signature are VW, Hyundai, Toyota and Mazda. I'm going to guess that you wouldn't recommend at least two of those.

BC.

Fair enough.
I'll add that we've had both an ancient Corona and a Vanagon in the past and had good results with both.
We've also had four GM products that were okay as well as a 280Z 2+2.
We also bought a '97 Aerostar new that proved to be as durable and reliable as anything else we've ever had.
Four Mercedes too, two of which were of the sainted W123 diesel clan. All were really good cars.
Were I buying a car new with the intent of keeping it, I don't think I could find a better candidate than a four cyliner Accord sans DI or CVT.
But wait, we already have one of those.
Seriusly, though, I do think that there are distinct differences in how well cars hold up over years and miles of use.
We always had good results out of the eight Hondas we've owned to date, so that would be my personal pick in a new car.
In something used, I'm more willing to try something different, since the cost of a failed choice is much lower and you can always sell the thing on to the next person while losing very little.

Given how my decade+ old Accord has aged, remarkably well, mind you, I would not hesitate to buy another. That said, it would only be prudent to drive the competition, but the offerings would have to be MT. So I guess that would narrow it down to one competitor, the Mazda6.

The Mazda 6 is the one I would choose for myself.

For my wife I'd try to talk her into a Camry SE, because I think they're more fun to drive than most give it credit for.

As far as "best" goes, it's hard to say, they're all pretty good in their own way.

Madza6 and Honda Accord Sport due availability of manual transmission for me. I always have liked all generations the Honda Accord since 1989 personally as decent normal everyday car that is well rounded off.

The VW Passat with diesel and manual is an interesting combination and unique in the segment with lots of room to boot.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Honda Accord Sport with manual transmission.

This. It is such a gorgeous car. I love the styling of the new Accords and the Sport is so sexy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back