Unplugging coils while engine is running???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to do what this guy does? (unplugging coils while engine is running)???
seems scary to me but also pretty effective (??)

Last edited:
I've been sparked a few times doing that. The wires need to be in perfect shape. Any leakage or breakage will have you jumping. Won't be lethal.

It's reasonably accepted practice on my V-6 to pull the wires and start it...post to post spark OK, post to ground bad coil.

Have pulled them off while running, and it will find it's way to you...and it's way less fun than back in the breaker points days.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
You can fry a coil because that could send the voltage very high.

He's unplugging the primary (low voltage) side of the coil, not a problem because the coil won't be energized. Disconnecting the secondary side is a problem if the high voltage doesn't discharge through a spark plug.

I am just amazed that IF this was dangerous, that dude is extremely lucky because he did it about 5-6 times in that video alone, and probably had already done it several times before making the video, as he already knew which coil was the bad one.

AND he;s doing it on an M3 - much more complex than the regular M54 engine found on non-M3 cars I'd think...

I am VERY tempted to do this on my Bimmer, as a result of the issues described here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ion#Post3673143

Thats spot on, Dave.

You can also identify the misfiring cylinder by unplugging injectors... That's also the way it is done on engines with distributor-ignition

This seems fantastically stupid to me for some reason. There has to be a better way -- one that doesn't involve intentionally running the engine while it's broken.

Is this an accepted procedure in the industry?

As weird as it sounds, when you google a bit and read on BMW forums, it seems owners AND technicians do this all the time to quick-diagnoze coil pack failures, etc.

Had a P0302 (misfire on Cylinder #2) code on my son's car - 2001 Mazda Protege w/ dual coils, each one firing two cylinders. I overthought it, and figured that it couldn't be the coil because if it was, it would cause a misfire on both #2 & #3.

Swapped plug positions, but the misfire did not follow the #2 plug to #3.

Static resistance checks did not reveal a problem with the coil.

Did change out the coil, and that was it. (I guess the problem was with the insulation breaking down rather than the coil going open, or the Ohmeter would have caught it. I wish I had a Megger for such testing.)

Anyway, I don't like the idea of deliberately causing a misfire because fuel gets dumped in and exhausted raw, putting a lot of wear on the cat.

This is one of the nice things about the Ford IDS, you can do all of that through the scan tool and never have to open the hood, at least until they want physical tests done.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Anyway, I don't like the idea of deliberately causing a misfire because fuel gets dumped in and exhausted raw, putting a lot of wear on the cat.

That's basically my worry.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
This is one of the nice things about the Ford IDS, you can do all of that through the scan tool and never have to open the hood, at least until they want physical tests done.

Can do the same thing with a BMW just using Autoenginuity FWIW.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Yeah I have no access to such...
OVERKILL: what do you think? Should I give it a try? WYDI?

What do you have for a scanner?

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
oh it hardly deserves the title "scanner"
Just a $20 OBD-II code reader from amazon

If you have a laptop I would humbly suggest AutoEnginuity with the packages for your vehicles. It has been an invaluable tool for me and I would wager it would serve you just as well.

I bought mine on E-bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back