Iron deficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening folks and I was reading up on this as of late. Learned a lot about it also. If any of you folks have it, watch what you eat and take care of yourselves.

i have it and take an iron supplement, the dr told me to eat more green vegatables and also red meat
dr said in some cases low iron could cause headaches and fatigue

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Wife is anemic and likely low in iron absorption. You can take in more iron with supplement or beef, spinach, etc.

A medical reason to eat steak? Score!

Originally Posted By: Throt

Yes! My favorite food! I eat it as often as I can!
smile.gif

I was vegetarian for almost 20 years ('91 - '10) and even now don't eat meat often.

I've also been donating blood for almost 40 years.

It was fine during the early years - I ran a number of distance races during that time, and did my best marathons in '92 & '93.

By '06 I found myself working very hard to maintain a pace much slower than what I had been doing a few years earlier. Attributed it to age.

Did some hiking in the Rockies a few weeks later and found the elevation really hard to cope with.

Still suspected nothing because I passed the sink or float blood sample test every time I donated. Actually around that time I failed one of these tests, but they redid it and I passed.

Had a routine physical that Fall, and my hemoglobin was down at 119. Thought it was a fluke, but a retest showed it was 114. (Adult male normal is 140 - 180.)

It turned out to be a simple iron deficiency. I started on iron pills, and a few years later reintroduced small amounts of meat into my diet.

Sometime after that, Canadian Blood Services moved over to a more sophisticated hemoglobin test, which presents an exact digital readout. The old sink or float test had a threshold of around 100, so my hemoglobin would have had to have been even worse for me to have failed.

Did some volunteer work out of town a couple of weeks ago, and ate about as much red meat during the week as I'd normally have in a year.

Donated yesterday and had a hemoglobin of 169!

I don't mean to put anyone off vegetarianism - there are many excellent ethical & health arguments to be made for it, but watch the hemoglobin! Not everyone is able to take iron supplements.

Originally Posted By: Patman

Yes! My favorite food! I eat it as often as I can!
smile.gif

I ate three huge ribeyes last night
grin.gif

Floradix is a good iron supplement available in the Canadian Old Fashioned Foods chain, if they have that in Manitoba. I used to take it when I did my long distance running.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Wife is anemic and likely low in iron absorption. You can take in more iron with supplement or beef, spinach, etc.

She couldn't stand beef because of the "bloody smell".

I dated a vegetarian for a few years and she was anemic. Never took iron supplements but her birth control--as many do--contained iron.
Personally I'm a fan of red meat and every time I've donated blood the 'sink or float' test results in my blood dropping like a rock. I do have low blood pressure though, so I can't stand up too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back