Sylvania Silverstar or OE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Which headlight bulbs do you guys recommend? I currently have 1 dealer installed bulb and 1 Sylvania Silverstar bulb. The Sylvania Silverstar bulb just permanently burned out (been on for 3-4 years of driving due to DRLs) and the one installed by the dealer is temperamental. It sometimes works and sometimes not. It's about a year older than the other but has been temperamental for 6 months.

Which do you guys recommend me replacing them with? Which is brighter? I can't really tell with only 1 Sylvania Silverstar (supposed to be brighter). I have 1 extra Sylvania sitting around but the bulbs at the dealer are only $9 each.

I had (2) silverstars last < 1 year, so i don't bother with them anymore. I don't think the extra brightness is worth the 4 times more likelihood of having to replace them.

If this is for your VW, it seems a lot of VWs have headlight problems; it is not clear how a light bulb can be temperamental. How does it decide not to glow? Are you sure it isn't a ground or seating problem?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I had (2) silverstars last < 1 year, so i don't bother with them anymore. I don't think the extra brightness is worth the 4 times more likelihood of having to replace them.

If this is for your VW, it seems a lot of VWs have headlight problems; it is not clear how a light bulb can be temperamental. How does it decide not to glow? Are you sure it isn't a ground or seating problem?
Sometimes it doesn't work, so when I get out and "smack" the headlight it starts working. I'm assuming it's making the filament parts touch and start working. The headlight housing has a broken release "catch" lever so I can't take the headlight out, I'll have my mechanic fix it since I don't want to deal with squeezing a drill in there to drill it out. Even if te connection is bad for the bulb I'll replace it anyway so I don't have to deal with it.

I have also now disabled the DRLs so my bulbs should last much longer.

I've had short service life (short as in 3 months) with bulbs other than basic OE grade in the Jetta in my sig line. Also read multiple reports at tdiclub.com and vwvortex about others with the same problem, particularly regarding Silverstars. I have the OE grade Philips bulbs in for 10 months now and they have lasted longer than any other type I've tried. I frequently drive at night on pitch black country roads and the light output is adequate.

i have silverstars on my car that are 5 years old and work fine but i don't have drl
next bulb i buy may be napa premium bulb (whatever they are called)

I usually buy my bulbs from Powerbulbs.com from England. They have good selections from Phillips and Osram with good price and free shipping to USA without VAT.

Your Beetle needs H1 bulb, is it correct ? Powerbulbs.com has Osram longlife bulb for $19.50 twin pack, Philips Longlife EcoVision for $23.50 twin pack, OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited $25.50 twin pack and other types. Currently they have 20% off with code SPRING20(not applicable for OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited).

Silverstars have a very short life.

Also keep in mind that the brighter bulbs will have a shorter life. That's the tradeoff.

If this is for your Beetle in the sig that takes H1's all around, For more brightness, I'd recommend Osram Nightbreaker for the high and low beams, and Osram All Season for the fogs.

For longer life, just get a name brand long life bulb.

Yes its for the Beetle which takes H1's. Thanks 901Memphis thats a great website for bulbs. What am I looking for in a bulb? High or lower K rating? I just want decent bulbs they don't have to be amazing or anything. I do remember when the car was new they were fantastic, maybe this Sylvania has kind of dimmed it or something, seems like it's a different beam

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Which headlight bulbs do you guys recommend? I currently have 1 dealer installed bulb and 1 Sylvania Silverstar bulb. The Sylvania Silverstar bulb just permanently burned out (been on for 3-4 years of driving due to DRLs) and the one installed by the dealer is temperamental. It sometimes works and sometimes not. It's about a year older than the other but has been temperamental for 6 months.

Which do you guys recommend me replacing them with? Which is brighter? I can't really tell with only 1 Sylvania Silverstar (supposed to be brighter). I have 1 extra Sylvania sitting around but the bulbs at the dealer are only $9 each.

the Silverstars H1 are only rated for about 125 hours of life.

the standard H1's are rated 335 hrs.

I would look at the Philips EcoVision H1
http://www.powerbulbs.com/us/product/longlife-ecovision-h1-headlight-bulbs

also, if you don't mind disabling the DRLs, then remove the headlight switch, and bend down the "TFL" pin. Instant DRL disable.

I would also look at getting the Euroswitch.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-New_Beetle--1.8T/Lighting/Switches/Headlight/

(not sure how good the ECS tuning house brand, Bremmen parts is).

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

also, if you don't mind disabling the DRLs, then remove the headlight switch, and bend down the "TFL" pin. Instant DRL disable.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-New_Beetle--1.8T/Lighting/Switches/Headlight/

Halogen cycle blubs do not fare well when run at less than full voltage as the cycle which replates the filament material back on the filament needs a certain temperature to function. DRLs using a simple resistor to lower the voltage contribute to short life. Wiring which has degraded with age can do the same thing. You, though, obviously have a bad connection on one side, probably at the 29 cent plug/socket connection. There are better quality sockets out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

I did the DRL mod the other day and am glad I did. I'd really like to order those Philips bulbs but I'm not sure I can wait up to a week for them and then having my mechanic replace them since I have one burned out and I might be driving at night. I'll see when be can get me in, if it'll take a week anyways to get me in then I'll order them. Thanks!

Contrary to popular experience, I've had a set of SilverStars in my car for over 8 years and they're still fine. Admittedly I don't use the car at night a lot...

I put a set of SilverStar Ultras in the ex's car when we bought it and that was at least 6 years ago...I do think the Ultras are not worth the extra $10, though.

I have a pair of GE Nighthawks cued up for whichever set croaks first...

I ended up going OE. My buddy is a mechanic and has an account with a VW dealer that I use and get the discount. A little over $6.00 per bulb, not bad.

OE is a good choice. Anything with a blue coating is bad. They have to over drive the bulb to get within the output levels of a clear glass bulb because the blue glass reduces light getting to the road, also blue glass increases glare. So you get shorter life, less light on the road and you make it harder for everyone to see.

Just remember whatever you get in the future, make sure it has clear colorless glass. The small blue ring like you see on the GE Nighthawk Platinum is okay, that's what I use right now, got them for $10 at Ollies... Awesome score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back