Best bang for the buck oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gerbils
With the controversy surrounding the Purolators, what do you guys recommend as the best bang for the buck oil filter like the Pureone use to be?

Three posts since joining in 2009?
Welcome back, for now ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jacky
i just bought a ac-delco for $3.09 shipped from ebay

If its NOT and ecore, I agree. They show good test data too.

Ran well on my Toyota apps.

Best "bang for the buck" IMO is a Motorcraft "S" series if they make one for your application. Lots of media, which is a syn blend, decent efficiency at about 93%, one of the best silicone ADBV's available and a thread end bypass. All for under 4 bucks.

If I am going to run a long interval the Tough Guard is the ticket.

Napa Silvers have great build quality and are almost always available for 3 bucks, but they lack some of the appealing features of a Motorcraft (nitrile ADBV and lower efficiency). They usually work well on start fussy vehicles though.

This seems to be everyone problem the once good purolater classic for $3.27 is now a bad choice i hope they fix things the wix is a great filter but its not so easily found at a good price. Forget the ocod but the fram ultra seems built very well im not sure it flows as nice as i would like it to.

Fram Ultra at ~$9 changed every 15,000 miles - or even longer.

The only filter that is more efficient than a FU is a PureOne (so long as you get an unholy one).

But you'll have to change a PureOne twice as often so it'll cost you more.

And if your time and dealing with less mess have value to you, then a FU is an even better proposition.

I'm switching to a Fumoto valve and a FU at my next oci. I'll run the first FU to 2 oil changes and 15,000 miles and cut it open. If it looks good, I'll consider going to 3 oil changes.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
This seems to be everyone problem the once good purolater classic for $3.27 is now a bad choice i hope they fix things the wix is a great filter but its not so easily found at a good price. Forget the ocod but the fram ultra seems built very well im not sure it flows as nice as i would like it to.

'Dude, if it flowed any better it would be a hollow can with no media inside! LOL

Would you please get that FU installed so we can stop reading "I'm hoping if flows good" in every thread.
grin.gif

Whatever is free in an attractive oil change deal.

But if you have to pay for an oil filter, then the Wix/NAPA Gold offers the best price/performance out there.

Fram Ultra, like Pep boys ten for $51 total, online. The Denso first time fit for about $3 from Rock auto, pretty good best bang for the buck, non Purolator made choices.

Fram Tough Guard or Fram Ultra IMO....

Go To Wallymart and they have great deals on them.

Or AAP might have a free one with a jug of oil... but Wallymart will probably still be cheaper.

Tough Guard, WIX or NAPA Gold offer best value, since they are trusted when used for my 2nd consecutive OCI (6+6)

Unscrew the used filter after 6K, remove the old oil contents - add more oil to the gasket and reinstall for another 6K.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
I recommend Purolator classics, nothing better.
Yep, here we go again.
Trolling.gif

Barkey must be making some serious bank. Does he get paid per sentence? Word? Nah, must be by the letter. That's why Purolator can't afford QC....

It's amazing this tearing issue and crummy quality associated with purolater has really boosted sales for other oil filters.. Im sure purolater is feeling the pinch by now. Hopefully they will wake up and build a good filter at a good price and maybe recover in 5 or so years.. So far it looks grim for them my filter distributor went from selling 80% purolaters to selling Wix and another great Chinese brand which i would buy except they say CHINA

I doubt Purolator is hurting. 95% of the Purolator purchaser-population has no idea they've been tearing. Not even 1% of Purolator users are members of this board.

If you add the Purolator knocks at places like facebook, twitter, linkedin....etc.... you may reach another 2%...... that's it.

One of the reasons Purolator big-wigs don't address this tearing issue publicly, is because if they do, it may hurt sales. As long as they keep their mouth shut, then less people know about it.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
It's amazing this tearing issue and crummy quality associated with purolater has really boosted sales for other oil filters.. Im sure purolater is feeling the pinch by now. Hopefully they will wake up and build a good filter at a good price and maybe recover in 5 or so years.. So far it looks grim for them my filter distributor went from selling 80% purolaters to selling Wix and another great Chinese brand which i would buy except they say CHINA

Nah, like people have stated 99.9% of buyers don't frequent this board, and issues tend to cycle through the industry. 3 years ago Fram had a terrible reputation here, and Puralator was worshiped, especially since they could be had at Walmart for a few pence. Many also claimed it was stupid to replace such a quality filter after only one oil change, lol. Now with media issues Puralator is deemed junk, and Fram is worshiped. I'm sure in another couple of years their will be another new found oil filter for the Bob is the oil guy anal retentive to proclaim king, then 2-3 years later, rinse & repeat.

Originally Posted By: Gerbils
With the controversy surrounding the Purolators, what do you guys recommend as the best bang for the buck oil filter like the Pureone use to be?

Wix/NAPA Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back