Oil Change reminder light reset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm selling a 2001 Camaro for neighbor's daughter and there's an "oil change" reminder light on the instrument panel.
I've tried combinations of pressing and releasing the trip odometer while starting the car to no avail.

Does anybody know how to turn it off?

Has anyone heard of a "special tool" which is needed to extinguish this reminder light?

Thanks in advance. Kira

I think I would try this:

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine turned off.

2. Push the TRIP/RESET button located on the instrument panel for 12 seconds. The OIL CHANGE light will start to flash to confirm that the system is reset. The reset is complete when the OIL CHANGE light goes out.

Much like my Volvos and my Corolla...but my Volvo had a odd glitch in that the reset would not work if there was 0.0 miles on the trip odo...don't know why, but it would have to have some mileage on it.

I would try again, see how you do.

Does this car have the owner's manual? Might be a note in there, too...

Last edited:
For cars without a Driver Info center: with engine OFF, turn key to RUN. Fully press and release Accelerator pedal 3 times in 5 seconds. Turn key OFF. Start engine. If the light or message comes back ON, repeat maneuver.
That was procedure for 2000 Pontiac.
Hope it helps.

Last edited:
I get the manual, reg and ins. cards today.
Frankly, I doubt the "good ol' Chevy" owner's manual would include any warning light extinguishing instruction.
"See your Chevrolet dealer if this light ever comes on", is all I'd bet they'd say.

I will now be able to put some mileage on the trip odometer between attempts.

All in all it looks like it'll be a good sell as the thing has only 95K and the tires are good.
It has 2 removable glass panels for a roof. It's not a true "rag-top". Is that a Targa roof...or roll bar roof?
Also, I think the smaller engine, the 3.8L V-6 will appeal to a broader population.

I've never seen a car with an OLM that required a special tool to reset. Usually it's some sort of ignition key/trip odo/gas pedal dance and it's always been in the owner's manual.

Stupid there isn't a button on the dash that says "Oil change reminder reset" and make it a button you need a pen to press from below flush.

Stupid that it's just not an easy to reset reminder. That's what it should be, a REMINDER. I like the way it's done on my Mazda 3. I can set the OCI to be anything I want, in miles, or days. It's a straightforward process to reset it. To me, it's not even necessary since I keep a maintenance record. Trying to make it difficult in any way is the OEM's way of discouraging owners from performing their own maintenance. So, for the car-ignorant (most drivers) it's a built-in profit mechanism.

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine turned off.

2. Push the TRIP/RESET button located on the instrument panel for 12 seconds. The OIL CHANGE light will start to flash to confirm that the system is reset. The reset is complete when the OIL CHANGE light goes out."

They can't make it too easy to reset, or most people will just push the reset button on the dash and forget about it or accidentally reset it between OCIs.

The reset procedure has been in the manual for every GM I have owned and not required any tools. If you can figure out how to change the oil, you can figure out how to reset the OLM.

The post above mine has the correct procedure with the trip/reset button.

BTW, you have T-tops.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I've never seen a car with an OLM that required a special tool to reset. Usually it's some sort of ignition key/trip odo/gas pedal dance and it's always been in the owner's manual.

It wasn't in the e90 BMW owner's manual. You can figure it out if you are patient toggling through the menu with the stalk mounted controls, but it wasn't in the manual.

My Acura had a hidden reset button. If you didn't know where it was under the dash, you might not find it.

My 28 year old scooter requires that you insert the ignition key into a hidden slot in the cluster. I don't remember if that's in the manual or not.

Typically with GM you turn the key to the run position and hit the gas pedal three times, at which point the OLM is reset. At least that's how all the trucks are set up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira

Frankly, I doubt the "good ol' Chevy" owner's manual would include any warning light extinguishing instruction.
"See your Chevrolet dealer if this light ever comes on", is all I'd bet they'd say.

That is a bet you would lose.

It's spelled out right in section 6, page 17 of the 2001 Camaro owners manual that is easily available online, free of charge. It took me all of 20 seconds to find it, 5 seconds to download it, and another 10 seconds to open the PDF and search for the words "Oil Change Light".

Just one of many sources available in PDF format

Just in case looking through the owners manual is too difficult, here's a screenshot of the procedure, direct from the manual.

Last edited:
Rob Schneider says you can do it!

you-can-do-it.jpg

Originally Posted By: Kira
I get the manual, reg and ins. cards today.

I will now be able to put some mileage on the trip odometer between attempts.

All in all it looks like it'll be a good sell as the thing has only 95K and the tires are good.
It has 2 removable glass panels for a roof. It's not a true "rag-top". Is that a Targa roof...or roll bar roof?
Also, I think the smaller engine, the 3.8L V-6 will appeal to a broader population.

The glass panels are called T-Tops, If it was a V8(LS1) car it would be worth thousands more & easier to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back