New work truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: Milkman
How did the dealer treat you when ordering ? It has been my experience that you pay vastly more to order.

Enjoy your new truck.

They simply could not find a truck that was close. I didn't want to pay for options I don't want like the more expensive Uconnect or the trailer package, 20in wheels etc.

It seems no one buys simple work trucks anymore, they are all loaded to the hilt.

The price was the same either way, $32k OTD.

A lot of dealers had this truck with the more traditional power train, ie the Hemi with the 6spd, but that's the worst combo Ram offers right now. I wanted the 8spd and the 6 for fuel economy.

and i enjoy my 11 sport 4x4 with hemi and 5 speed just fine. i also enjoy that v6 in my wrangler. the pentastar puts out some impressive hp and torque, especially when you compare the numbers to the 4.7 it replaced.

I just pulled the trigger on a 2015 RAM Crew Cab Big Horn. It was a tough negotiation but I was able to walk out with a purchase price of 29.5K on a truck that has a MSRP of 42K.

Also included was 5 years of Chrysler maintenance and after market extended warranty that replaces even normal wear items such as pads, wipers, tires, paint protection, towing, road side assistance, for $11 a month.

I am happy that I stuck with my guns and I am even more pleased with the truck. I was happy with my FX4 but the 2015 Ram is a big upgrade.

Originally Posted By: Jcp123
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Great option choices. I always thought block heaters were smarter than remote starters.

They are better by far.

I might get one next wintertime for my Echo.

Why, unless you like futzing with extension cords. The worst cold I have experienced is -27F and my MDX which has a factory remote starter worked fine when my wife used it. (5w20 Mobil 5000 in the sump btw!)

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I just pulled the trigger on a 2015 RAM Crew Cab Big Horn. It was a tough negotiation but I was able to walk out with a purchase price of 29.5K on a truck that has a MSRP of 42K.

Also included was 5 years of Chrysler maintenance and after market extended warranty that replaces even normal wear items such as pads, wipers, tires, paint protection, towing, road side assistance, for $11 a month.

I am happy that I stuck with my guns and I am even more pleased with the truck. I was happy with my FX4 but the 2015 Ram is a big upgrade.

I don't know how you guys get these deals, around here all the 4x4 quad cabs were $41k-$43k OTD. Of course that's with the hemi and 8spd. You can get 2wd 6spd trucks for significantly less.

I talked to three dealers in CT and two out of state and come up with similar pricing for all. Unless you qualify for a ton of their incentives which I don't.

My game plan now is to pay off the truck by next year and just lease an Audi A6, because as nice as that quad cab would have been a black on black A6 is more fun.

Last edited:

I don't know how you guys get these deals, around here all the 4x4 quad cabs were $41k-$43k OTD. Of course that's with the hemi and 8spd. You can get 2wd 6spd trucks for significantly less.

I talked to three dealers in CT and two out of state and come up with similar pricing for all. Unless you qualify for a ton of their incentives which I don't.

My game plan now is to pay off the truck by next year and just lease an Audi A6, because as nice as that quad cab would have been a black on black A6 is more fun.

I found a motivated sells person and manager trying to meet this months quota and we had a tough negotiation for a hour past closing time on a Friday night. Pair this with nearly 7K in rebates from the factory that made this happen. My oldest son was impressed that I stuck to my guns to make this happen.

Up here I never found much negotiating room, they just took off the rebates and that was it. Even when I offered just $500 less they said no, and that was it. No call back, no attempt to follow me out the door and play games.

I even offered to sweeten the pot with no trade and financing threw them, still no dice.

Also I only got $2,500 in rebates.

Last edited:

I found a motivated sells person and manager trying to meet this months quota and we had a tough negotiation for a hour past closing time on a Friday night. Pair this with nearly 7K in rebates from the factory that made this happen. My oldest son was impressed that I stuck to my guns to make this happen.

This American Life on NPR did a show on a month at a dealership. It's very interesting how critical a sale or two at the end of the month can be to the bottom line make their number to get $40-50k from the manufacturer... The sales manager was buying cars for relatives and cutting great deals for anyone in dealership that night.
If I was going to buy new again, and had time, I'd try leaving a standing offer way way below msrp after rebates for the vehicle I wanted at a dealer. If they need a sale at the end of the month, in the next couple months then call me.
I'm sure the sales manager would tell me to F off at the time, but if they got into a jam, giving me $5k to get $50k starts to make sense.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: Jcp123
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Great option choices. I always thought block heaters were smarter than remote starters.

They are better by far.

I might get one next wintertime for my Echo.

IMO, with the current price of electricity, just using synthetic makes more sense.

Synthetic isn't going to get the coolant up to temperature quicker and stop the engine from running crazy rich sooner.

I don't care about the motor, I care about my comfort. I want heat fast.

Hence block heater.

Last edited:
I don't care about the motor, I care about my comfort. I want heat fast.

Hence block heater.

Yup. If I had access to an outside plug, I would have them on my vehicles. Instant heat is nice

hattaresguy, I am getting anxious to hear about the truck when delivered and then while you are putting the p/u to work !!!

Truck is built and staged for shipment, should make its away across the country and into my hands by the end of the month.

Bump, I wanted to update after I have had the truck for a couple of weeks.

ODO is currently at 700 miles, picked it up at 7.

Overall this is a fantastic vehicle. Ram is the last company to really care about their regular cab trucks. Their are nice little storage compartments and little details all over the cab. Unlike the GM which makes you feel like you got half a truck the Ram is a large well thought out regular cab truck. You pay enough so why should you feel like your truck was simply cut off behind the front seats? I had my truck next to my trim guys 2014 Silverado the other day, very similar trucks and the Ram blew it out of the water. For example in the Ram you get a locking tailgate as standard. If your store tools in your bed like I do once in awhile this is a nice feature. In the Chevy you have to upgrade to the $50k truck to get that.

The ride is fantastic, way better than it ought to be.

The drive train is superb. Since I opted for a bit lighter truck I got the Pentastar with the 8spd and 3.55 rear end. Its not the Hemi but it pulls very well, I really don't miss the Hemi in this configuration. I can set the cruise at 70, nail it, the gear box drops 3-4 gears in a second and it pulls like a freight train. Very fast truck, it feels like 305hp. It also weighs about 150 pounds less up front so it drives pretty well without the V8. Fuel mileage is 17, up from 14.5-15 in my old rig.

Overall I am very pleased with my purchase, I think its the best regular cab work truck on the market. Chevy's make you feel like your on a crate and Ford wants to much money. I still have not seen a 2015 F150 regular cab truck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back