Malwarebytes turned laptop into zombie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm not sure what it did to do it, but Malwarebytes turned my laptop into a complete zombie.

I was thinking to myself that it was about time to reload Windows and start over anyway, but I remembered that I had loaded Malwarebytes onto this laptop last weekend.

It was so zombified, that it couldn't even restart itself. I had to hold down the power button and force it to power down.

Removing Malwarebytes, and a simple restart was all it took.

i also have had trouble with malwarebytes
i dont keep it on my computer but i use it from time to time to fix an existing problem

My wife and I have the paid for version of Malwarebytes on our computers and would not be without it.

The free version does not run in the background and offers no protection.

The free version sometimes is helpful when fixing an infected Windows computer but that is kind of like closing the barn door after the horse is gone.

I good friend got hit with the latest malware using Windows and Internet Explorer. There was no saving it.

Was able to get her pictures, documents, etc., backed up to an external hard drive and do a clean install.

She did loose all her emails and a few other items.

Never really had a problem with it. However I typically run Ubuntu. I still have windows 8.1 but I keep everything on it sandboxed.

I don't know what malwarebytes would do this.

Only thing that comes to mind was it was scanning and you had the "protect module" on so it was over riding the shutdown maybe?

It wasn't scanning, unless it was scanning every morning and every night.

In the mornings, the laptop would barely come out of sleep mode. Then doing anything with the laptop at this point was nearly impossible. Zombie.

So, I'd close all applications and reboot? Nope. Malwarebytes wouldn't allow the computer to reboot. It would go to a black screen and hang, and not shut down. After waiting an hour or so, I'd just hold down the power button and force it off.

I was mentally preparing myself to have to reload the OS, then I remembered that I installed Malwaresuck last weekend. Deleted it and the issues are gone.

Sounds strange because I have Malwarebyts loaded and run every two weeks without any issues. I have read that there are fake software around that are causing problems. Ed

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
It wasn't scanning, unless it was scanning every morning and every night.

In the mornings, the laptop would barely come out of sleep mode. Then doing anything with the laptop at this point was nearly impossible. Zombie.

So, I'd close all applications and reboot? Nope. Malwarebytes wouldn't allow the computer to reboot. It would go to a black screen and hang, and not shut down. After waiting an hour or so, I'd just hold down the power button and force it off.

I was mentally preparing myself to have to reload the OS, then I remembered that I installed Malwaresuck last weekend. Deleted it and the issues are gone.

Where did you download Malwarebytes from, in the first place? Sounds like you got it from a 3rd party.

I agree must be other issues on your PC, I've been using Malwarebytes for years and was a beta tester till the current 2.1.4 ver. that went just went final recently and you don't even know it's there, never any issues.

I suggest if you or anyone has problems post on there web site and somebody will help you fix your issue.

Malwarebytes Forum

Originally Posted By: Donald
People who purchased Malwarebytes awhile ago got a good deal as its licensed to you forever. The newer licenses are like everything else, renew every year.

Correct,,A great deal for under $15

I purchases Malwarebytes long enough ago to have the lifetime version. For whatever reason it completely slugged my system(s). I installed it on one, uninstalled and put it on another and both systems acted the same, and it was not pretty. I reverted to the free version on them for the occasional scan, and that works fine. Just did not play well with Kaspersky at the time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
It is true that Malwarebytes can conflict with some AV/IS packages. That's why you'll find how to set exclusions in both Malwarebytes and your AV/IS.

For instance, Here's how to set mutual exclusions for Malwarebytes and Bitdefender

This kind of conflict is the only issue I've had with Malwarebytes and I've been running the Pro version on several computers for at least 3 or 4 years.

On both my PC's W7 and 8.1 I have no issues running real time MBAM and Bit along side one another.

Originally Posted By: daman
It is true that Malwarebytes can conflict with some AV/IS packages. That's why you'll find how to set exclusions in both Malwarebytes and your AV/IS.

For instance, Here's how to set mutual exclusions for Malwarebytes and Bitdefender

This kind of conflict is the only issue I've had with Malwarebytes and I've been running the Pro version on several computers for at least 3 or 4 years.

On both my PC's W7 and 8.1 I have no issues running real time MBAM and Bit along side one another.

I believe you. That's why I said it "can" conflict with "some" AV/IS packages. I've had it conflict with Norton IS on one machine and not others and same with Bitdefender Total Security.

Trick is, when you do get a conflict, know that you can add exclusions on both pieces of software and that will almost always clear up the problem.

Yes, right.

I was agreeing with you
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back