walmart getting into replacement auto parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually stroll down the motor oil aisle at my local walmart whenever I make it to the store, just to see if there are any deals.

Noticed a sign posted in the motor oil aisle that said (basically)

See the auto service desk to order replacement parts for your car.

It was a pretty professional sign from walmart corporate.

I should have taken a picture, but didn't think to.

Anyways they listed brake rotors, suspension parts, and they had a bunch of brands such as Bendix, etc.

I didn't go to the auto service desk, I don't want to talk to those people.

Can't see anything online, but they might be getting into the parts game?

This was in Round Rock Texas.

JH

Ive seen that sign at at least one WM Ive been in.

Thing is, I cant imagine it is that great of a situation. Time will tell.

1) Wal-Mart is not a shopping experience I evny. In fact, its downright horrid. So going there to pick up items Ive ordered is not a good use of time, especially since,

2) Id likely want to go very late to avoid the most crowds, which means the T&LE may not be open.

3) There are a ton of auto parts wholesalers out there who for now at least do a lot more business than WM and so at least for now will likely have similar prices, and many offer free shipping, which means delivry to my door without sales tax.

Assuming they offer brands Im interested in, Id give it a shot at a wal-mart in a tax free state (DE for me) to see how it works, but Im not holding my breath on it...

If they beat AZ and AAP, that's not necessarily saying much on some things (e.g. the bilsten shocks and struts I bought last year).

Originally Posted By: JustinH

FWIW, I did not end up buying them there but I talked to one of the guys at my local WM about tires. I was pleasantly surprised - it might not be as bad as you think.

As for buying parts there - not so sure about that...

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Anyways they listed brake rotors, suspension parts, and they had a bunch of brands such as Bendix, etc.

Why? They have to deal with us http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/ ....
Can't they answer a simple question, or call the store so nobody has to see anybody. LOL

I've heard so, but not sure that will work.

If they offer the parts, they would have to offer to put them on as well.

Might be interesting...

Wal-Mart is looking at Amazon selling auto parts... and thought if Amazon can do that, then we can too!

(maybe...)

They ship them site-to-store, allegedly they're on the website. An advantage would be not having to ship them back if there's a warranty problem, plus any competition on price is a good thing, in my book.

It seems like a deal for those without credit cards. You can (plausibly) go into a WM and get near-rockauto pricing, pay cash in advance, and get your parts in a day or two. And since it's on a hub run there's no inventory to get stale at the store.

WM knows they have a big clientele of "unbanked" folks and want to keep said unbanked people spending all their cash there.

walmart offers the free american express bluebird card for the "unbanked"
but people without a social security number can't get it

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: linkbelt
You can bet that if walmart sells auto replacement parts, they will be the cheapest imported junk they can find!

+1

I consider Autozone the WalMart of auto parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back