2000 Impala LS ignition switch replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tzu

I'm having some ongoing issues with what I think is a failing ignition switch on the dash. It used to be occasionally, but now almost regularly the car's dash lights (air bag, ABS, traction control) come on when you slow down or put on a turn signal out of the blue. It used to not start unless the brake pedal was applied. My remote start bypasses the switch and starts up every time, then I just turn it to run and off I go.

I've read that this is common symptoms of a bad switch. The car is scheduled in for the ignition switch recall next month, but the dealer said they only glue inserts into the factory keys to put only a hole in the key vs the elongated one there now. A worn switch is my problem.

Can I do this at home or is a dealer computer needed to reflash the system to accept a new switch? The lock cylinder part is good, but the electrical part of the switch is going bad. $400-500 dealer quoted to do this. I'm worried if I do it at home to save money, my car won't start so I'll have to have it towed to the dealer to reprogram it anyway, thus nullifying my reason to do it at home.

Any suggestions are more than welcomed.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Ignition switch replacement

Easy peasy.

cool.gif

Did the dealer quote you the switch and cylinder, or just the switch?

Their price doesn't sound too out of line, even if they are just doing one component. The cylinder lists for around $240 IIRC, and is something we keep in stock. We actually sell and replace more of the cylinders. I think the Passlock strip is actually in the cylinder, not the switch. I believe the switch costs less than the cylinder, but is still in the $100s. I would just do both if doing yourself.

I don't think you need to do any reprogramming, but if you replace the cylinder, the GM kit requires you to build it yourself with the supplied tumblers. Maybe Locksmart has a kit that will recode the cylinder, but then you will have separate keys for the doors and starting.

The dealer quoted $400 for just the cylinder replacement, and $500 if only the switch needed to be replaced. The cylinder and key seem to work fine, but I think the electrical part of the switch is starting to mess up. LS1 mike's video link really said it all. I was worried to do the work at home, then the security feature would make it inoperable once I tried to start it back up. The video shows he didn't have to do that. Now I am ready to tackle it whenever it warms up. The windchill factor this morning was 8F
frown.gif

Thank you very much ls1 mike! Watched the linked video and had it done in 1 hour with a $43 switch off e-bay. No lights on dash going off and all is well. These forums are great tools for the DIY guys. Much appreciated.
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Ignition switch replacement

Easy peasy.

Glad you got it fixed. It is common in W-bodies when they get up in miles. My buddy, who now has my old Regal GS, had to do that one at 180,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back