New Purolator synthetic oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the current debacle over torn pleats, any feedback on these new synthetic filters?

From Purolator:
Purolator is excited to bring you the next level of filtration from the inventors of the oil filter — Purolator Synthetic. Purolator Synthetic oil filters were designed specifically for synthetic oil users. This high premium filter provides you with the longest lasting engine protection within the Purolator line.

What's different about Purolator Synthetic Oil Filters?
Let's start with the media. The media in Purolator Synthetic Oil Filters is wire-backed. That means there's a wire-mesh that provides extra support to the media so that it remains intact and durable. It's also 100% synthetic so it's designed to work best with synthetic oils. The media in Purolator Synthetic Oil Filters is also 99%* efficient which means it removes 99% of all the dirt and junk that gets into your oil. 99%! AND, it's designed to trap and hold up to 27 grams* of that dirt and junk that could get into your engine and cause major repairs. So what does all this mean? Purolator Synthetic Oil Filters are a long-lasting filter, providing engine protection for 10,000 miles.

Puro Syn is most similar to Fran Ultra filters, although the Purolators are more expensive and far less locations to buy. I've only used 1 on a Honda for about 10k, and was excellent on dissection, that I got on sale from Kmart for around $7.xx they go on sale there often but don't have wide selection.

They are not that new - at least a few years since they were introduced.

Been a couple of discussions about them and some cut open...

No indication that the media tears (unsurprising in light of the wire backing).

What feedback are you looking for?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
What feedback are you looking for?

My local auto parts store started stocking these so I thought they were newer. I've been steering clear of Purolator since last year after the torn media threads started popping up. I was always a fan of the Classic oil filters for an inexpensive quality filter. Many older threads on here demonstrated they were quality long ago and when I heard they were having problems my heart sank. I no longer have a reliable inexpensive filter brand that's local anymore. No way I'm touching an orange can Fram, but at least they don't seem to have reports of torn media recently. Just the same p_i_s_s-poor quality the orange cans are known for (with a few exceptions like the PH8170 that I use with confidence).

Besides, with Walmart Canada having yanked them, where would one get them in the first place? The closest options would be the QS and Pennzoil filters, being Classic clones, at CT and Home Hardware, respectively.

Id use them if they were priced a bit less expensive. I like the grip painted coating around the can too.

I can think of another filter rated at 10k that is about half as much.. and one rated at 15k that is slightly cheaper and easier to find.
smile.gif

Heck, the WIX filter is a better deal than this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back