new diesel station: ok to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shell's building a new gas station right on my way to work, sandwiched between the Menards and super Walmart. They've got a spot for a diesel price on the new sign. This will be my new station - it can't get any more convenient than this.

The question I've got is this: Does anybody know how they ensure that all the tanks, lines, pumps, etc are squeeky clean? Should I wait a while for them to get all the built-in contamination out before trusting my injectors to their fuel?

Well, I suppose you can be pretty sure there isnt a lot of water in there. Filtration at the pump should be new and effective, so that can take care of other stuff.

Are underground tanks phenolic-coated? If so, I wouldnt worry. If they tend to just be steel, there may be an oily coating that needs a fill or two to get out.

My bigger concern is turnover. Diesel is best when fresh. Ive heard that an indicator is how foamy it gets, but I do not know that there is a technical reason behind this. Stations with high turnover are best. If youre buying month old fuel, it may be better to buy elsewhere...

I mwould jump right in. Chances are the fuel and lines will never be anymore "cleaner" than right now.

Before you jump right in, why not see for yourself? Bring a clean, clear plastic bottle with you, pump some fuel into it and inspect for fuel cleanliness and a water-fuel separation line. There shouldn't be any water in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back